I have concluded that people with my genetics turn on and off insulin resistance./the 'thrifty gene'

Status
Not open for further replies.

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
Any chance of getting the name of this "world expert in adrenal problems"? I would like to see his work.

Hi

Did you get Dr Vaidya of Harvard University in Cambridge Ma U.S.A.
Me too as I have problems with my adrenal glands.
Was it this guy?:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/weight-loss.html

Many doctors and weight loss gurus refer to this thrifty/hunter gene. All they say is that it makes you prone to put on weight. This was a good thing in our distant past but not so good now in modern life. The thrifty gene isn't that rare.

I don't understand what you're trying to prove. You have, you believe, a set of thrifty genes that make you insulin resistant and prone to put on weight if you eat too many carbs. That is not unusual.

Hi

I have described exactly what my "thrifty" gene seems to do. I have described some of the problems with the "thrifty" gene and noted that it is prevalent in the near east. If you think about it that is where it would remain. They have many failed monsoons yet there are times of plenty. I am guessing that as my hearsay evidence indicates they tend not to get diabetes even the women who all have sugar problems in pregnancy. Have you heard about the theory of natural selection (Darwin) how many years have they been eating a grain diet? 10000, more? I have read the blogs about the "thrifty" gene none of them describe the one that still exists (this is somewhat of an overstatement but getting close only scores in horseshoes)..

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Wasn't this thread locked because the OP wouldn't entertain any other fact/opinion than his own? Why on earth has it been opened again, as it appears to be continuing in exactly the same vein - repeating what has already been said ad nauseum?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wasn't this thread locked because the OP wouldn't entertain any other fact/opinion than his own? Why on earth has it been opened again, as it appears to be continuing in exactly the same vein - repeating what has already been said ad nauseum?

I thought so too, but on checking I find that it was the thread entitled 'What is the expected blood sugar reading if a diabetic uses a severe Atkins diet?' that was locked.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi

I have an autoimmune disease which is controlled by never letting my blood sugar go above an unknown amount. The symptoms are very low sugar with a long delay (over 3 hours) after eating too much sugar. General fatigue if you eat a much smaller amount of sugar. This took about 50 years for me to realize that a much smaller amount of sugar was a problem. I know of 4 other people who have been misdiagnosed or not diagnosed who have all of my symptoms. 2 are from this site. I have figured out that the following weird situation is occurring. There are a portion of the population (very prevalent in near east) who process sugar by usually being in a situation which simulates type 2 diabetes. When their blood sugar rises enough they are able to first turn off the insulin resistance and then signal their pancreas to do its thing and their blood sugar goes to low normal for a glucose tolerance test, at which point they go back to their normal (no way to know when they actually return to type 2 diabetes). One easy way to realize this is to look at their glucose tolerance tests and note that even though their blood sugar rises for over 2 hrs before crashing they have normal fasting blood sugar and A1C (note: insulin is used to process protein). I have no idea how this is possible. The weight loss doctor I can not find (maybe no one believes him) said people with my glucose tolerance test do not lose weight on his weight loss diet. My analysis is that we save energy by not making sugar into fat and much later turning fat into sugar. I have talked to people from India, there are a lot of such people in my area. They all say that women from India have sugar problems in pregnancy. One nurse originally from India said "it must be genetic". Some also say that they are diagnosed as pre diabetic but in general (like me) they do not become diabetic. One Indian on this site posted that they have the glucose tolerance curve I describe. One of the people I know has my symptoms is a relative. We both had a classic case of an autoimmune reaction (neither realized what was happening and we did not communicate about this until a few years ago) in 1957. I assume we caught an unlucky virus. One of the sugar problems in pregnancy is this relative.

That has all been gone through and you've been given possible suggestions eg Reactive Hypoglycaemia and insulin resistance. Gestational Diabetes has also been explained to you.

You do not prove a theory by shutting out all evidence to the contrary.

This thread has served its purpose and points raised have been discussed repeatedly. Therefore it is being locked.

Reactions: 2 people
Status
Not open for further replies.