I love chocolate.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I love chocolate - but switched to a couple of squares of 85% lindt instead of a bar of cadbury's milk.

I sometimes melt some 90% and stir in warmed cream and a little sweetener to make a chocolate mousse instead.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"Never" is a very strong word

How many carbs you consume (from whatever source) is up to you, but the more you do eat the more and more risk of nerve damage, losing your eyesight, weeing problems and possibly loosing a limb or two.
Its for those reasons that most of us type 2s chose to restrict carbs to level we are comfortable with.
I allowed myself a small ice cream today, but that was partially allowed because I am usually very well controlled and my bg is now down to non diabetic levels.
You can set your own path, guided by your own meter and own bg.

Mrs HJG

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
90% Lindt chocolate, Tesco choux buns (14g carbs I think) - loads of cream and a tiny bit of chocolate, some eclairs are relatively low carb too, and lots of mini cakes can be found at about the 15g carb level, I found mini mince pies at Christmas too. Tesco do some nut bars that have a bit of dark chocolate on that are <10g carbs - loads out there if you look. You just have to have the self control to just eat one, otherwise I would avoid and snack on sunflower seeds, nuts etc.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It would appear that high % dark chocolate can be good for us, in that : “The antioxidants in chocolate help the body use its insulin more efficiently to help control blood sugar...

I feel it's essentially a bit of a compromise - a case of how many carbs your body will tolerate, and how well you are able to avoid bingeing on the sweet stuff....

I am another T2 who buys 85% Lindt dark chocolate bars, and I also use cocoa powder combined with various types of cream, full fat yoghurt or hazelnut butter as a basis for chocolatey puddings. And I use things like ground almonds, hazelnut or walnut meal. etc for baking, and add cocoa powder to make chocolate shortcake, muffin, etc.

Reactions: Paul41

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I am prediabetic, does this mean I can never eat chocolate, cake or biscuits ever again?

I am pre diabetic, I usually take two squares of 95% Lindt dark chocolate every day. I break two squares into 8 small squares and take them with meals and snacks. It doesn’t affect my BG, but if I take more my BG goes up.
-Omar

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I am prediabetic, does this mean I can never eat chocolate, cake or biscuits ever again?
I love chocolate too! :) I stick with high cacao content Lindt, as many here do (85%, 90% and 99%; what seemed toe curlingly bitter at first doesn't taste it now), though I heard Moser Roth is good too. And I've been making my own chocolate milk out of one part coconut milk, one part water and a heaping teaspoon of cacao. (Regular milk is a no go for me, and the coconut milk I use had fewer carbs anyway). For cake and biscuits, well... Depends. Can you stick with one bisquit? There are brands that are relatively low carb if you have just one. I got away with Lady Joseph this Christmas. Just one with my hot chocolate, once a day. Cake, well.. You can always try to find keto cake online, if you don't mind baking. :) I usually have a nibble of whatever my husband is having, if it looks VERY irresistible. Mind you, if you change your diet around, things that used to be great turn out to be too sweet for your adjusted tastes... So you might find cake isn't as enjoyable as it once was. You might prefer a good hunk of cheese.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Never is a strong word, it might depend on how much self control you have (I don't have Ben & Jerrys ice cream in the house )

I enjoy chocolate, but in small amounts and choose a lower carb version, I like lindt 85%. Check the nutrition info and test the effect on your blood glucose levels (we all react differently).
I often have berries (raspberries and strawberries) with proper clotted cream as a dessert. I also do a lower carb "cream tea" using oopsie bread in place of scone and smashed raspberries instead of the jam, topped with clotted cream (I do serve high carb scones to guests )
Typically I don't bother with biscuits or cakes, if we eat out I will have cheese. I found that I wasn't hungry and didn't need a biscuit or cake, for most people it's just a habit. But I will have a tiny piece (teaspoon) of cake at very special occasions, which are very few in a year.
I make a lower carb berry crumble using ground almonds, cinnamon for added sweetness and no sugar or sweetener added. Served with proper full fat cream. Again check your meter to see if it's ok for you.
I do have recipes for lower carb cakes that don't use sweeteners as I don't like artificial sweetener. These are typically based on nut flours. There are lots of ideas on the forum. I make these when we have parties and

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love chocolate too! :) I stick with high cacao content Lindt, as many here do (85%, 90% and 99%; what seemed toe curlingly bitter at first doesn't taste it now), though I heard Moser Roth is good too. And I've been making my own chocolate milk out of one part coconut milk, one part water and a heaping teaspoon of cacao. (Regular milk is a no go for me, and the coconut milk I use had fewer carbs anyway). For cake and biscuits, well... Depends. Can you stick with one bisquit? There are brands that are relatively low carb if you have just one. I got away with Lady Joseph this Christmas. Just one with my hot chocolate, once a day. Cake, well.. You can always try to find keto cake online, if you don't mind baking. :) I usually have a nibble of whatever my husband is having, if it looks VERY irresistible. Mind you, if you change your diet around, things that used to be great turn out to be too sweet for your adjusted tastes... So you might find cake isn't as enjoyable as it once was. You might prefer a good hunk of cheese.

I take 95% of Lindt, one and half or two squares a day. No apparent impact on my BG.
-Omar

Noodles7363

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Pacari 100% cocao chocolate with nibs. Try it. Better than Lindt in my opinion. Raw, organic, no bitterness.

Can get the pacari 100% cocao as bars, tiny 10g flatter bars, or little drops. I’d try all 3 kinds. Can also get nibs on their own.

Expensive, but worth it. I like the 50g bars the best, but the smaller bars can be cut down into much smaller pieces and last longer. I tend to have around 150 calories of it a day after a meal, which translates into 6 pieces of the bar, or 2 small bars broken into very small pieces. Zero sugar.

The other one i had was the 100% Lindt with nibs. 2 pieces, as they’re large and flat. But it’s not as nice as it’s got the bitterness, and isn’t raw. But is cheaper and can be broken into small pieces to last a while. My preference is the pacari.

I tend to have them as a desert after the afternoon meal. I do intermittant fasting, so have a 3 hour window from 1-4pm and a 90 minute window from 6.30-8pm.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Omar51 and CatsFive

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Pacari 100% cocao chocolate with nibs. Try it. Better than Lindt in my opinion. Raw, organic, no bitterness.

Can get the pacari 100% cocao as bars, tiny 10g flatter bars, or little drops. I’d try all 3 kinds. Can also get nibs on their own.

Expensive, but worth it. I like the 50g bars the best, but the smaller bars can be cut down into much smaller pieces and last longer. I tend to have around 150 calories of it a day after a meal, which translates into 6 pieces of the bar, or 2 small bars broken into very small pieces. Zero sugar.

The other one i had was the 100% Lindt with nibs. 2 pieces, as they’re large and flat. But it’s not as nice as it’s got the bitterness, and isn’t raw. But is cheaper and can be broken into small pieces to last a while. My preference is the pacari.

I tend to have them as a desert after the afternoon meal. I do intermittant fasting, so have a 3 hour window from 1-4pm and a 90 minute window from 6.30-8pm.

I tried Lindt , and decided to stick with 95%!

• Funny
Reactions: Paul_ and Outlier

Grace04

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love chocolate - but switched to a couple of squares of 85% lindt instead of a bar of cadbury's milk.

I sometimes melt some 90% and stir in warmed cream and a little sweetener to make a chocolate mousse instead.
That sounds good.

Westley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I enjoy dark chocolate, but sometimes wish for a nice creamy but unsweetened milk chocolate bar. The low sugar ones always seem to include artificial sweeteners like maltitol.

Ideally it would just be cocoa solids, cocoa butter and milk solids. Does a bar like this exist?

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
I enjoy dark chocolate, but sometimes wish for a nice creamy but unsweetened milk chocolate bar. The low sugar ones always seem to include artificial sweeteners like maltitol.

Ideally it would just be cocoa solids, cocoa butter and milk solids. Does a bar like this exist?
Hotel Chocolat ???? Not sure but I like the 100%

Westley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hotel Chocolat ???? Not sure but I like the 100%
Their lower sugar ones don't have maltitol which is good, but they are still around 25% sugar. I sometimes make keto hot chocolate with just cream and 100% dark, or powdered cacao, but it could be nice to have something like this in solid form.

Reactions: Omar51

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This one has the taste and feel of a milkier bar, but I found it quite sweet tasting and instantly wanted more and more. They list fractose as an ingredient which I assume is a misspelling of fructose.
I think some other manufacturers put vanilla in which changes the taste to milkier, but again it triggered massive over eating cravings in me so I avoid.
Can't remember which it was though, sorry

Reactions: Westley

geekesse

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Honestly, I used to love chocolate - any chocolate. I could eat a 1lb bar of dairy milk, a whole box of Lindt balls…. Then I was diagnosed pre-d and was told to lose weight. I have cast iron willpower when I choose to, so stuck with a low cal, low carb, 16-8 diet, and that meant NO CHOCOLATE! It took a few weeks of gritting my teeth to walk past the sweets aisle in the supermarket. Once I got to my target weight, reduced A1c, and got blood pressure under control, I eased off and bought my first small bar of chocolate for nine months…and I didn’t enjoy it. In fact, I didn’t even finish it. I occasionally fancy a single square of 80% stuff, but I have honestly just gone off chocolate. Maybe you will as well.