1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Is it possible to still eat desserts sometimes?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by sd3oaa, Sep 21, 2020.

1. sd3oaa

sd3oaa · Newbie

Obviously you need to keep your blood sugar under control but I was wondering if people with Type 1 diabetes can still enjoy sweets sometimes as long as their insulin balance is fine?

Thank you.

2. MarkMunday

MarkMunday Type 1 · Well-Known Member

As long as blood glucose is kept in the target range, it doesn't really matter what is eaten. Figuring out how much insulin and when when it is required when eating desert is difficult, though. I generally avoid all food containing carbohydrate for this reason. I no longer like sweet and carby food anyway, so it is not an issue for me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello @sd3oaa - are you type 1 yourself ?

4. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

A T1 usually has 2 types of insulin; a bolus and a basal. The basal is a background insulin, a bolus is meant to cover a meal. So if one knows the carb content and how much to inject for it, well... They can pretty much often eat like someone with normal pancreatic function. Exceptions to every rule of course, as within T1 some can easily control blood sugars and others have unpredictable responses that make life more complicated, but... Should be possible, yeah.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@sd3oaa I regularly eat desserts and sometimes have to prick for them. I generally have a few berries with natural yoghurt sometimes with a sprinkle of erythritol. Today I'm making some low carb banana bread which uses almond flour. I've found a low carb choc cake, then there's the cheesecake. The recipes are endless and don't spike me because there's no flour. Cheese is good too and I make the crackers. Hope you find some thing you like.

6. MattH892

MattH892 Type 1 · BANNED

@sd3oaa I regularly eat dessert, probably 3/4 times a week and manage to stay in range . Of course low carb makes control easier, but if you can figure out correct ratios then it makes no difference.

Just my opinion....

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. annliggins

annliggins Type 1 · Well-Known Member

A little of what you fancy ...go for it! Bolus enjoy and learn !! Nothing is out of bounds

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Catman507

Catman507 Type 1 · Member

Were you put on a particular diet plan to manage your type one? I am very physically active and am on a higher carb, low fat plan because it was suitable for me as opposed to low carb which also works for many. If you do basal bolus and are unsure trial and error will possibly happen but that's normal. Maybe you can speak to your dietician if uncertain about what works best.

9. Mad76

Mad76 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Personally I eat them often..
    Just try to make sure I take the right amount of insulin

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

It is possible to contrive low carb desserts which would have - should have - little impact.
    I make real icecream from a custard of cream and eggs - add the flavour and sweetener of choice. Cream, berries and sugar free jelly are good. I sometimes whip the cream into the jelly at room temperature - just when it is thinking about setting to make it frothy and achieve more volume. There are lots of low carb baking options if you google for them, though you need to watch out for some which aren't really low carb and the serving size is minute. There are fat bombs, and 'chaffles' which are cheese and egg waffles which you can do a lot with and stay low in carbs. I do sometimes think that by seeking to eat 'normally' type ones miss out on a lot of good stuff that we type twos enjoy.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. MarkHaZ123

MarkHaZ123 · Well-Known Member

I always have desserts
    Sunday for my birthday I had lemon merangue(sp) pie and every night this week Iv had chocolate cake which my partner bought for my birthday
    The beauty of T1 is just injecting for it

I do tend to eat healthily and work out but treats now and then are good

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Goma5

Goma5 Type 1 · Member

yes- absolutely - it's not too difficult to match the insulin profile with the GI of dessert.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Not this one! I eat those as well. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Marieba

Marieba Type 1 · Member

The op didn't ask about low carb though. This was posted on the type 1 forum not the low carb forum

• Like Like x 1
  15. Marieba

Marieba Type 1 · Member

As long as you give yourself enough insulin to cover the carbs you are eating, it is all good :)

#15 Marieba, Sep 25, 2020 at 10:39 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2020
  16. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Of course a T1 can eat deserts, but we would need to know more about the kind of insulin you’re using, and the dosing strategy you have right now @sd3oaa. You appear as a ‘newbie’, so if you’re currently on fixed doses, and haven’t yet encountered carb counting and ways to give yourself the amount of insulin you need for the carb you’re eating, you may be in a different situation from those of us who have lived with T1 for some time.
    It’d be a good idea to ask the diabetes team who are helping you manage T1 about ways that you can choose what to eat and adapt your bolus (the faster release insulin that covers carbohydrate eaten, and is also used to correct higher blood sugars when required) to it. The other insulin most of us take is a basal insulin. The basal releases more slowly and generally covers the delivery of insulin to allow glucose uptake by major organs etc.)
    It’s a bit different for people who use a pump.
    If you’re still using a premixed insulin then it’ll be a bit different for you at the moment.

17. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Yes - hence my comment about little impact - I had the impression from the OP that injecting extra insulin was not the objective.

18. TypeZero.

TypeZero. · Well-Known Member

I eat whatever I want. Don’t really pay attention to it but I generally eat clean anyways, more of a savoury person but like to have something sweet once or twice a month.

My advice would be to eat it the time of day you are most sensitive to insulin. My carb ratios are all the same but for some reason during midday insulin works very quickly and my blood sugar doesn’t rise that much. If you find a certain pattern in yourself then it would be a good time to eat it then.

I wouldn’t stress too much about it, don’t make yourself unhappy by not eating that muffin you really wanted.

There’s a wide spectrum of diabetics and remember that we are not here to judge. This forum has people who only check their blood sugar 3x a day and eat sugary foods often to people who are on keto diets and haven’t had an apple in 4 years

19. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Whereas I'm not even sure if the OP is a Type1, he (or she) has posted asking about T1 stuff and T2 stuff, but never referred to themselves having diabetes. Would be useful if the poster could clarify :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Now I don't see it as 'injecting extra insulin', what I try to do is balance my insulin with what I eat so if what I eat requires more insulin then that's the balance, the objective being to emulate a normal pancreas. I do dislike this notion that the amount of insulin one uses is somehow good or bad notwithstanding of course that it is all about the balance you're able to achieve and remain healthy. x

• Agree Agree x 3
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook