Just over 2 weeks diabetes diagnosis

Montyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After a bit of a shock, but probably no surprise, things seem to be going well with my new diabetes diagnosis. Over the past few years my GP has been saying I had prediabetes, and although my brother has been using insulin for nearly 10 years for his adult onset autoimmune diabetes, I chose to ignore it and just go for annual checks. That changed with a recent random BSL of 14mmol/L and a Hba1c of 8.2%. So while my GP started me on Metformin XR, my brother told me to start on a low carb diet, which I did immediately. Wow - what a difference that makes! I didn't really expect my quick 2-3 kg weight loss with this diet. Lucky, too, that my brother was using a Freestyle libre and that was very easy to order and use here in Australia. So I have had a crash course in diabetes education: my brother and this website have been invaluable. My metformin is now up to 2000mg/day and I think the only side-effect is a bloated feeling - although could that be due to the diet change? My BSL levels have been falling from fasting of 9mmol/L last week to (first time today) 5.4 this morning. So very happy today. I still don't enjoy my sugar free/milk free coffee - but I am getting used to it. I'll see how things go from here.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
After a bit of a shock, but probably no surprise, things seem to be going well with my new diabetes diagnosis. Over the past few years my GP has been saying I had prediabetes, and although my brother has been using insulin for nearly 10 years for his adult onset autoimmune diabetes, I chose to ignore it and just go for annual checks. That changed with a recent random BSL of 14mmol/L and a Hba1c of 8.2%. So while my GP started me on Metformin XR, my brother told me to start on a low carb diet, which I did immediately. Wow - what a difference that makes! Lucky, too, that my brother was using a Freestyle libre and that was very easy to order and use here in Australia. So I have had a crash course in diabetes education: my brother and this website have been invaluable. My metformin is now up to 2000mg/day and I think the only side-effect is a bloated feeling - although could that be due to the diet change? My BSL levels have been falling from fasting of 9mmol/L last week to (first time today) 5.4 this morning. So very happy today. I still don't enjoy my sugar free/milk free coffee - but I am getting used to it. I'll see how things go from here.
Well done @Montyd. I must admit to adding a dash of Vanilla extract to my coffee for flavour !!

Reactions: Debandez and Montyd

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done on grabbing the bull by the horns and getting on top of taking control.
May I suggest double cream in your coffee :)

Reactions: Montyd

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After a bit of a shock, but probably no surprise, things seem to be going well with my new diabetes diagnosis. Over the past few years my GP has been saying I had prediabetes, and although my brother has been using insulin for nearly 10 years for his adult onset autoimmune diabetes, I chose to ignore it and just go for annual checks. That changed with a recent random BSL of 14mmol/L and a Hba1c of 8.2%. So while my GP started me on Metformin XR, my brother told me to start on a low carb diet, which I did immediately. Wow - what a difference that makes! I didn't really expect my quick 2-3 kg weight loss with this diet. Lucky, too, that my brother was using a Freestyle libre and that was very easy to order and use here in Australia. So I have had a crash course in diabetes education: my brother and this website have been invaluable. My metformin is now up to 2000mg/day and I think the only side-effect is a bloated feeling - although could that be due to the diet change? My BSL levels have been falling from fasting of 9mmol/L last week to (first time today) 5.4 this morning. So very happy today. I still don't enjoy my sugar free/milk free coffee - but I am getting used to it. I'll see how things go from here.
Well done, and welcome!

Reactions: Prem51

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome you’re doing great but agree with @Rachox why not have some cream in your coffee? It will improve the taste and very few carbs either. I water down double cream and then froth it up so can make a cappuccino.
Good luck keep going.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the only side-effect is a bloated feeling
That is probably the metformin rather than the diet.. if that's all you get from it consider yourself fortunate!
You might find yourself being able to cut down on it once diet takes full effect.

Reactions: Debandez and Montyd

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We don't have double cream in America. Do Australians have it?
Remind me never to move to America! ...... Oh actually isn’t it called ‘heavy cream’ in the USA?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb got rid of my bloated feelings so in my experience of n=1 then I’d say it’s the metformin causing the digestive distress. (It’s fairly common).

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, what a fantastic start! You will find lots of info on here re ideas on nice things to drink. And eat for that matter! I like many others on here enjoy coffee with cream. I don't use sweeteners as I don't feel I need to but there are lots of threads on this subject. Stevia seems to be very popular. Little or no impact on BS.

Great news on your weight loss too. I found the same happened to me. Started LCHF woe to control BS and lost weight too, lots of it! Win win.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome you’re doing great but agree with @Rachox why not have some cream in your coffee? It will improve the taste and very few carbs either. I water down double cream and then froth it up so can make a cappuccino.
Good luck keep going.
That sounds a really good idea. How do you froth it up? Before low carb I used to absolutely love my cappuccinos so it would be lovely to have a low carb version.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That sounds a really good idea. How do you froth it up? Before low carb I used to absolutely love my cappuccinos so it would be lovely to have a low carb version.
I use a milk frother machine I had already got but you can buy little hand held frothers that I think are not too expensive. All our family love frothy coffee and frothy hot chocolate - so was worth expense of a proper milk heater and frother which does it in a few mins and gets used several times a day. You can also dilute cream for hot choc - just use the low carb Lidl cocoa or a few squares of a very high percentage choc bar melted into it. You can also use a bit of granulated erythritol if you like it a bit sweeter.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use a milk frother machine I had already got but you can buy little hand held frothers that I think are not too expensive. All our family love frothy coffee and frothy hot chocolate - so was worth expense of a proper milk heater and frother which does it in a few mins and gets used several times a day. You can also dilute cream for hot choc - just use the low carb Lidl cocoa or a few squares of a very high percentage choc bar melted into it. You can also use a bit of granulated erythritol if you like it a bit sweeter.
Thank you. I do have a milk frother with my Nespresso machine but it never occurred to me that I could water down the cream and froth it. What a brilliant idea.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you. I do have a milk frother with my Nespresso machine but it never occurred to me that I could water down the cream and froth it. What a brilliant idea.

Hi Krystyna, I too have a Nespresso machine with an attached milk frother….try putting the cream in, it froths it beautifully and tastes fab. x

Reactions: Krystyna23040

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too have a nespresso with milk frother. Im dairy intolerant so have to avoid /severly limit milk and cream intake.
I have tried frothing various non dairy milk altenatives - some are abject failures, however waitrose unsweetend soya milk and Plenish unsweetend almond milk both produce a good froth and for less carbs than dairy milk or cream