LCHF advice required please

tristan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
just had my latest check in with the diabetic nurse and she was over the moon with my HBAC1 reduction from 93 to 52. That went well, but she wasn't happy my cholesterol has risen from 4.2 to 5.8.

Question is have I been eating too much of the wrong fats ??

Mainly eating scrambled eggs bacon, omelette's. Veg or cheese, tuna coleslaw mix. Pork scratching and pepperami
Along with lots of veg

Should I be concerned or should I expect a raise in my cholesterol levels with this diet

Cheers

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I doubt very much that your Diabetes Nurse knows much about cholesterol.. even the "experts" can't seem to agree. You really do need to know what the breakdown of your test was if you are worried about it. My last one was 5.7 and I really don't care it's just a number. There is a ratio of HDL to Triglycerides which may be more important so it would be good if you can find those out. If it wasn't measured in your test then the test was a waste of time anyway.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are moving fat around, either changing shape or losing weight, then you need extra cholesterol to cart it about in the bloodstream - the molecules act as tow trucks, so the more movements the bigger the fleet required.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on the HbA1c reduction. That is excellent.

Worry not about your cholesterol. Do you know the breakdown that makes up the total of 5.8? HDL/LDL/Triglycerides. Without those levels your 5.8 is meaningless. If you have them, and post them here, we may have more to say. If you don't have them, then ask for a print out.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree, the ratios are the important part.

As for the fats you're eating you could try replacing some saturated fats with plant fats like avocado,olive oil, mayo or nuts. Some of us have better cholesterol when we did that. The addition of avacado had a huge impact on my lipids.

I'm not overly concerned about my cholesterol as long as it's not crazy and my ratios are good. . My dad has had 3 heart attacks and a pace maker and has low cholesterol. My mom has high and is very healthy at 86. Just a few bumps and bruises that she likes to complain about.

Reactions: Bluetit1802