Loss of a beloved pet

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Today I took my little cat, Tillie, to the pet because she was being sick. She always had a sensitive stomach, and pr
one to random sickness, quite common in cats, I thought it was her food and tried several types seeking pet shop advice. But finally faced going to the vet, I did not quite expect him to give me such news within the first couple of minutes; I had to make a decision whether to bring her home and take her back in a couple of days, he advised this week. I could not put her and me through that, so with his agreement that it was the right thing, I said goodbye to her. I am so devastated and feel physically ill. Feel like a truck run me over and needed to write this down somewhere, by this time of hight she would be sitting with me. :cry: She followed me everywhere, it was a truly mutual love. Sleep well my darling Tillie.

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
I am so sorry. Our beloved pets are members of our families and we are devastated when they die.

I don't know if you've ever read this poem, but you might find it a tiny bit comforting.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

shop

Awww HpprKM,

Its awful having to say goodbye like that to our lovely animals. I had to do the same for my previous cat Susie, she was 17 and had a tumour in her stomach. My auntie also had to do this 2 weeks ago when her Millie (18) had just become too frail. The Vetenary surgery sent her a lovely but very moving card. I wish I could remember every word as I am sure if I read it to you it would have the same response with you. I would be sobbing though.

I truely believe that as pet owners this is the last kind thing that we can do to avoid any suffering. We have our adopted cat Purdy (13) our lovely Arthur ( pony 25 ) and Fly the sheepdog (8) and am dreading the time we have to say goodbye to either of these.
I really feel for you and am sending huge HUGS (((X))) God bless.

Lucy xxx

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
HpprKM, I feel for you so much I'm in tears typing this. Thinking of any one of the animals I've had to make that decision for always reduces me to tears, even years later, as it is for some.

On my last major dig I had a lovely colleague called Barbara who looked after the finds for me. Every lunch-time she would go for a half-hour walk, taking whatever dogs we had about, with her. They all loved her.

She died of cancer in 2000.

I have a little vision of some place 'up' or 'out' there, where Barbara walks through summer hay fields with the dogs trailing contendedly after her. There's Kerry, my rescue Irish Setter, and Josie, Rik and Lady Wolfhound, and Jake who belonged to John and Stef, as well as her own dogs . . . And even though they never knew her, she'll take care of Raif and Lara Wolfhound for me too.

And somewhere in the same field is Khan, the 'Cat Who Hunts Wolfhounds', chasing his good-natured big friends, and leaping out at them from hiding . . .

Yeats wrote a poem about 'giving your heart to a dog to tear', and it's true of cats too. It HURTS. It's one of the ways we know we're alive.

I'll be thinking of you tonight, missing the warm lump on the duvet and sniffling. I'll be sniffling too.

I HATE wet pillows. :wink:

Viv 8)

Highlanders

Dislikes
Those who try to tell me what I should do. Pompous, arrogant people who think they know everything after 5 minutes!
I know just how it feels Hpprkm. My deepest sympathies are with you. One of the hardest things in this life is to let go of friends. animals are some of our most devoted friends. Im glad that you posted of your loss here, we are your friends too and we are all thinking of you in your sad loss. ((((((((HUGS))))))))

Ian

Defren

My heart aches for you. My dogs are an extension of my children, my fluffy babies. I can't bare the day I loose one, worse all of them. Please accept my deepest condolences at a tragically painful time in your life. R.I.P. little Tillie cat.

Rainbow bridge is just so beautiful, and now little Tillie cat is free from pain playing with all her friends. Be kind to your self.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Am typing this with blurry eyes [teary]
oh my heart goes out to you... [[[[HUG]]]]
its truly awful losing that little trusting, faithful, loyal, loving 24/7 companion.
A pet loves you regardless of mood, human fallibles we all carry and share.
It trusts you totally for its food, shelter, excersise, a hug/kiss, encouraging word, and your love !
A man/womans BEST friend ... We lost our first yorkie joddy in 2007 it was AWFUL ...
Will need gods grace to support me when I have to say goodbye to gracey and freya my 2 yorkies.
Much love , thoughts n a prayer for you too.
Anna.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Bless you all I had a cursory look at replies but tears that won't stop keep falling - I will read them later when a bit stronger. My source of comfort has gone for now, for she was my source. I loved her and I know she loved me, got to get though the night. Have to say one thing - my daughter mentioned rainbow bridge - collective ESP - I have great admiration for Buddhist philosophy and know Tillie has gone to pastures new. Hated to be the one to help her there though I know it was kindness. Ultimately human and miss her much. God bless you for such kindness. Love Kathleen and Tillie x

Steve218

Kathleen

The very same thing happened me and I was also devastated with the loss and guilt and I even had to take time off work I was so upset. I took solace in the fact that I had been able to save her from painbut the loss was still great but what was good was that I found many people understood. I expected people to be unsympathetic and yes some were but many were understanding and supportive. Vets are very caring people and would not have given their advice lightly. You will miss your friend I know but our thoughts are with you - Steve

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
My condolences HpprKM, as a life long cat and dog cohabitant I feel your pain. :(

WhitbyJet

HpprKM - I am another one sitting here tears flowing as I write.
Over the years we have had to put 3 dogs and 7 cats to sleep. Each and every time we felt gutted. Last time we sat outside the vets surgery unable to drive away as we couldn't see for tears.
I feel your pain,you did your best for that lovely little cat I bet she was spoilt rotten.
Our beloved pets stay in our hearts forever.
Big comforting hugs from me
x x

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Very sad you must be devastated. I'm so sorry about your loss :(

HpprKM

Dislikes
You are all such lovely people and I always find solace on this forum in times of need. So sad to learn of all your own sad experiences. I quite made a fool of myself at the vets cried my eyes out. Such a shock not what I expected although I had fears as you do. He diagnosed her condition in about two minutes and it was awful. They were so kind and said I could leave car there for a couple of hours and I went home with my daughter, could not drive.
Your beautiful words and kind wishes mean so much God bless you all x

HpprKM

Dislikes
Wish I could stop crying.

shop

You will in time, you are not a robot and grief is a strange thing! Its early days.....xxx

mistee71

Dislikes
FOOTBALL. MY husband is a sports fanatic and watches everything. Most i can put up with just not football.
I know how you feel too. My thoughts are with you. X

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hello kathleen.
Was thinking about you this morning I woke up.
It will take 'weeks' for your tears to slow down, you might find yourself all cried out....
I was after, we had to have joddy put to sleep [she was 14.5 heart failure]
Go easy on yourself , dont feel embarrassed over your tears.
Keep remembering the wonderful memories of your tillie, and smile at mischief and things she got up to !
Much love and thoughts.
Anna.x

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I have a 17 year old *****, who is coming to the end of her life. She's so frail and thin, which with a fine coat looks dreadful. It's about 5 years since I lost her mother and a few more since other ancestors left us. I dread what is inevitable. Their lives are just so much shorter than ours. However, We've had dogs and cats all our married life and I can't visualise life without them.
As well as the old girl, we currently have one of her sons and one of his daughters. AND 2 cats.
Hana