Low carb and putting on weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jolo

Dillinger wrote: So, the alternative reality that so many of us promote is; forget about all the fat and protein worries you have, eat more of them and less of the carbs and you will need to inject less insulin if you are Type 1 and produce less insulin if you are Type 2. Less insulin means less fat creation and if you are eating a low enough amount of carbs then your body will naturally start to metabolise your fat reserves; hence weight loss.
Thanks Dillinger, that made my day. I always wondered why my sugars were perfect when i went carb-free, and why i lost weight. Ages since i went carb free but i've been wanting to lose weight, and am desparate to get my sugars sorted (my HbA1c's on 10% at the mo!)... so it sounds like an all round great solution. Always been there, but i just forgot the science behind how it worked.
Here goes lets see how low carb i can go! Cheers :thumbup:
p.s. not too sure how long it will last tho, tried no carbs today to find out if my basal insulin dose was right and felt like a dead duck (probably due to only eating about 2 pieces of cucumber all day tho!)

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Sid Bonkers said:
Because I watched his video Stephen, where he talks about his theory and I didnt think he was correct in what he said, can you not accept that I do not hold the same views as you. OK I was being flippant and trying to belittle him by saying "feory" 'in inverted commas' and I accept that was rather childish of me, but I just do not agree with him, is that a crime?

Not at all. I love intelligent debate, but that's very difficult to do if you are criticising a theory that you haven't invested the time to investigate.

I'm pretty much "all-in" with the low-carb high-fat thing at the moment, so I'd love to hear the big holes in the Taubes, Phinney, Atkins argument.

So let's start again: What part of what he said in this video struck you as being incorrect?

Which video was it? I'd be very interested to have a look.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sid Bonkers said:
The £1,000,000 question and one that no one knows for sure, some people eat as an emotional response, others, who knows, certainly not Taubes/Groves etc

Have you read Barry Groves book then?

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sid Bonkers said:
Carb control may be key to diabetic control but calorie control is the key to weight loss :thumbup:

Not according to the decent Cochrane Review concluded that Low-Glycaemic Load Diets (low-carb diets) are more effective than either calorie restricted or low fat diets for weight loss:

Overweight or obese people on low glycaemic index diets lost more weight than those on high glycaemic index diets or conventional energy restricted weight loss diets, with the change in body mass, total fat mass and body mass index all significantly decreasing after the low glycaemic index diet compared to the comparison diet. It may be easier to adhere to a low glycaemic index diet than a conventional weight loss diet, since there is less need to restrict the intake of foods as long as low glycaemic index carbohydrate foods are predominantly consumed. In studies comparing ad libitum reduced glycaemic index or load diets to conventional restricted low fat diets, even though participants could eat as much as desired on the low glycaemic index or load diets, they fared as well, or better, in the outcomes than those on the comparison diet. Hence, lowering the glycaemic index of foods in the diet appears to be an effective method of losing weight, particularly for the obese.

http://summaries.cochrane.org/CD005105/ ... nd-obesity

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
borofergie said:
Sid Bonkers said:
Carb control may be key to diabetic control but calorie control is the key to weight loss :thumbup:

Not according to the decent Cochrane Review concluded that Low-Glycaemic Load Diets (low-carb diets) are more effective than either calorie restricted or low fat diets for weight loss:

Overweight or obese people on low glycaemic index diets lost more weight than those on high glycaemic index diets or conventional energy restricted weight loss diets, with the change in body mass, total fat mass and body mass index all significantly decreasing after the low glycaemic index diet compared to the comparison diet. It may be easier to adhere to a low glycaemic index diet than a conventional weight loss diet, since there is less need to restrict the intake of foods as long as low glycaemic index carbohydrate foods are predominantly consumed. In studies comparing ad libitum reduced glycaemic index or load diets to conventional restricted low fat diets, even though participants could eat as much as desired on the low glycaemic index or load diets, they fared as well, or better, in the outcomes than those on the comparison diet. Hence, lowering the glycaemic index of foods in the diet appears to be an effective method of losing weight, particularly for the obese.

http://summaries.cochrane.org/CD005105/ ... nd-obesity

What have low GI diets to do with low carb?

Have you actually read about low glycaemic index and low glycaemic load diets Stephen? http://www.the-gi-diet.org/lowgifoods/
See what I did there :lol:

Hello out there. I have been advised by my Diabetes Nurse to go on a low carb diet. Great stuff but what do you all eat? Has anyone got a diet plan they can share with me? Waiting with bated breath to start!!! :clap:

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sid Bonkers said:
But the quote you posted mentions low GI Thats an I not an L six times and low carb zero times thats 6

Sid. Just read the paper. It explicitly deals with Low GL diets. It's even in the title:
Low glycaemic index or low glycaemic load diets for overweight and obesity
http://summaries.cochrane.org/CD005...ycaemic-load-diets-for-overweight-and-obesity

The paper compares studies of Low GI and Low GL diets and concludes that they are both superior to calorie controlled and reduced fat diets.

Participants receiving the low glycaemic index or load diet lost a mean of one kilogramme more than those on comparison diets. Lipid profile also improved more in participants receiving the low glycaemic index or load diet. No study reported adverse effects, mortality or quality of life data.

All VLC diets are Low GL diets. Even regular low-carb diets up to about 100g a day are Low GL diets. Even Atkins claims to be a Low GL diet:
http://www.atkins.com/Science/Articles- ... roach.aspx

Sid Bonkers said:
So in answer to my own question "What have low GI diets got to do with low carbing" The answer is very little to nothing at all. I know you like to argue with everything I say but this is my last post on this thread :wave:

Again. Just read the paper.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, deep breath:

Can anyone give me the Simple Ladybird Guide to low carb eating and weight loss please?

Simple words, preferably of 1 sylabal, and no arguing? :crazy:

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
lucylocket61 said:
OK, deep breath:

Can anyone give me the Simple Ladybird Guide to low carb eating and weight loss please?

Simple words, preferably of 1 sylabal, and no arguing? :crazy:

No bread, pasta, rice, potatoes (or other starchy carbs) or anything sugary or with flour in it, and probably anything grain based.

Eat lots of meat, eggs, cheese, vegetables, salad.

For VLC try not to let your total daily carb intake exceed 30g (which more or less precludes any of the stuff above).

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
lucylocket61 said:
Ta Muchly. I understand every word you typed :D

Viv, one of the forum members, has written a simple guide to the Atkins diet:
viewtopic.php?p=171062

I'm not quite sure what's modified about it though. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Atkins stuff (excluding the food products that they sell).

The other good advice I've had (from Steve Phinney's book), is to increase your salt intake slightly (as long as you don't have high blood pressure), which helps prevent the "low-carb flu" that some people get in the first few days on a LC diet.

Also note that you probably don't have to go as far as 30g a day to control your BG (although doing so will certainly be beneficial). If you want to lose weight, then <30g is your best bet (as per the Atkins induction).

Good luck!

Jolo

Here was I thinking i was doing really well low carbing, and i've just calculated what i thought was carb free :roll:
and it had 20g in it for just one meal! :eh: :***: :crazy:
live and learn i suppose dont you.
have definitely got thinner on this low carbing though :D :D :D , but not lost any weight (who cares its the inches that count :p )

weeezer

this is interesting...my mum is t1 (37yrs, she's 61) and is going through a really insulin resistant phase. she HONESTLY eats meagre amounts of food, i.e. had an actimel for breakfast the other day because she is paranoid about pushing BS up (which it happily does anyway) - she has 100u+ of novorapid a day & 120u lemevir, and has put on weight lately - she cannot understand it. a doctor did say to her she'd put on weight with the amount of insulin she needs, and this is exactly what's happening.

Jolo

You've hit the nail on the head. The more insulin you have, the more weight you gain :evil:
What's her diet like? Does she low carb?
Jolo x

sweetLea

weeezer said:
this is interesting...my mum is t1 (37yrs, she's 61) and is going through a really insulin resistant phase. she HONESTLY eats meagre amounts of food, i.e. had an actimel for breakfast the other day because she is paranoid about pushing BS up (which it happily does anyway) - she has 100u+ of novorapid a day & 120u lemevir, and has put on weight lately - she cannot understand it. a doctor did say to her she'd put on weight with the amount of insulin she needs, and this is exactly what's happening.

I've had exactly the same thing recently. I have now split my Levimir and cut my carbs to 30g and after a few days it has begun to settle nicely.
I should say that I've had to take the initiative myself on this as my Doc was bloody useless when I went to see her about it!!! :evil:

weeezer

and...both my pregnancies i managed to put on 5 YES 5 stones! yes, i ate more, but i didn't eat ridiculous things (ok, the odd chunky kit kat, jam doughnut, doorstep slice of toast...dripping with butter!), had i not been diabetic i know i'd be one of those people who managed 3 stone, but 5 was ridiculous. i will take my part of the blame, but my insulin consumption rose steeply and must have had an effect. i'm only craving fruit so far but expect this to change to pork scratchings or something equally as disgusting!

jolo my mum doesn't low carb really, but doesn't overeat by any stretch of the imagination. she's had a lifetime of HAVING to (or rather, being told to...) include starchy carbs in every meal so finds it hard to switch the thinking on it's head (as do i). saying that though, she did a DAFNE-esque course (SWIFT i think?) and was shocked to discover one could eat what one liked as long as you adjust insulin accordingly. she did try this out and did lose weight as a result, but i think she feels like it's too much to overcome the previous 35 years habits.

sweetlea, i'm going to suggest to her she cuts carbs down a bit more forcefully. i am waiting to see a dietician and would love their take on it.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
weeezer said:
sweetlea, i'm going to suggest to her she cuts carbs down a bit more forcefully. i am waiting to see a dietician and would love their take on it.

Oh the sweet innocence of the newly diagnosed, asking NHS dieticians for advice on low-carbing... :angel:

Jolo

Hey I was thinking that! :lol:
Dont want to depress you Weezer but unless you've got a diabetic NHS nurse who's also on low carb, i cant see him/her being useful exactly! Sometimes we have to go it alone :(

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Please can we have a smilie for low crab?
:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.