ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I'm not sure if my story qualifies as a success, because my Hab1c upon diagnosis was only 53 (7%) and all I did was go LCHF with a little IF. There was no conscious Calorie restriction -so my LCHF was often very High Fat!. I just counted carbs and ate to my BG meter. No medication and no additional exercise.
I hate exercise for its own sake since I get no endorphin rush from it, perhaps this is for the same reason that Opioid painkillers have no (pain reduction) effect on me neither Codeine nor Morphine (in Hospital - that was very painful ) !

So from 170 lbs, Hba1c 53 in April this year
to 148 lbs, Hba1c 45 in late August

Well it may not be much of a success compared to some, but I'm happy with it and since it was really 'lifestyle' rather than diet, I'm confident that it is sustainable over the long term.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not sure if my story qualifies as a success, because my Hab1c upon diagnosis was only 53 (7%) and all I did was go LCHF with a little IF. There was no conscious Calorie restriction -so my LCHF was often very High Fat!. I just counted carbs and ate to my BG meter. No medication and no additional exercise.
I hate exercise for its own sake since I get no endorphin rush from it, perhaps this is for the same reason that Opioid painkillers have no (pain reduction) effect on me neither Codeine nor Morphine (in Hospital - that was very painful ) !

Well it may not be much of a success compared to some, but I'm happy with it and since it was really 'lifestyle' rather than diet, I'm confident that it is sustainable over the long term.

Definitely a success in my opinion, lower weight and HbA1c not to be sneezed at!

Reactions: Prem51

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

SUCCESS.
m1257.gif

and not to be sniffed at.

after all, it's not a flash in the pan diet, that you'll bore with by next weekend and then head back to bread, chocolate, bananas and cereal.

it's a lifestyle change, so well done you., look forward to the next quarter/half year results
m1256.gif

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done! Calorie restriction isn't what you want (for long term success, anyway). Counting carbs is the way to go and you seem to have it just right - eating to BG meter. Way to go!!! :)

Reactions: Prem51

Murphymycat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Since I moved to a new area a year ago I have found a new GP and diabetic nurse. Both are big fans of low carbs. I explained to the diabetic nurse that I really struggle with weight loss and she decided that gliclazide was exacerbating the problem. She has taken me off this and started me on Trulicity as she felt it would help with my weight loss. I had not heard of this before and was a bit anxious about injecting myself but a follow up meeting to show me the ropes and explain the medication in more detail was a resounding success, particularly as I took my husband along.

I started low carbing at the same time and although it has only been 2 weeks (third injection today) I have lost 12 lbs. Sounds like a lot but I do have a lot to lose. Injecting myself has not been a problem.

There are some amazing low carb recipes out there, its low carb blackberry and apple crumble tonight (apples free from tree at GP surgery), can’t weight (sic!)

Reactions: Robbity and Prem51

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Since I moved to a new area a year ago I have found a new GP and diabetic nurse. Both are big fans of low carbs. I explained to the diabetic nurse that I really struggle with weight loss and she decided that gliclazide was exacerbating the problem. She has taken me off this and started me on Trulicity as she felt it would help with my weight loss. I had not heard of this before and was a bit anxious about injecting myself but a follow up meeting to show me the ropes and explain the medication in more detail was a resounding success, particularly as I took my husband along.

I started low carbing at the same time and although it has only been 2 weeks (third injection today) I have lost 12 lbs. Sounds like a lot but I do have a lot to lose. Injecting myself has not been a problem.

There are some amazing low carb recipes out there, its low carb blackberry and apple crumble tonight (apples free from tree at GP surgery), can’t weight (sic!)

Hi Murphymycat,
Congratulations, 12lbs weight loss in 2 weeks sounds a huge amount, perhaps even too much in such a short time.

From a quick glance, the side effects of Trulicity (dulaglutide) don't sound too bad compared to other diabetes medications. The potential appetite suppression could be seen as a bonus.

I don't want to rain on your parade, dulaglutide has been tested in mice over the long term ( 24 weeks for mice) and shown that it appears to have a protective ( or at least no worsening) function of the Beta cells of the pancreas - unlike metformin or the Sulfourea class of diabetes drugs which in layman's terms wring out all the Insulin production possible from the Beta cells ultimately leaving them incapacitated so the patient has to ultimately switch to Insulin injections. But I didn't see any study backing this up in humans (yet).

By the way, for many Type 2 diabetics anything containing Apple would not exactly be considered 'Low Carb', though Blackberries are not as high.

Reactions: jjraak

JulsX

Howto start..
In October 2016 my HbA1c was 106 it dropped down to 87 in June 2017 and to 60 by December of 2017
Around the beginning of 2018 I stopped taking Metformin much to the disgust of my then doctor who wouldn't prescribe anything else, however after seeing the surgery's diabetic doctor I was put on Sitagliptin and Gliclazide.
In April of 2018 I was getting BG fasting results as high as 25.8 and then in May my HbA1c was 84 - at the end of May I was seriously ill in hospital for 6 weeks (one of which was in ICU), my diabetic drugs when I was sent home was 100mg of Sitagliptin and 80mg of Gliclazide in the morning and 40mg in the evening
Moving on to March this year my HbA1c was 71 but I was due in to hospital for an operation and they wanted it below 68 before they would operate so my evening Gliclazide was increased to 80mg.

When I came out of hospital I spent quite a bit of time on this forum reading about LCHF and reading the sucess stories, reading the LCHF recipes and thinking "hey that's stuff that I like" So I started eating LCHF, gave up the wetabix and porridge and started the day with scrambled eggs or bacon sausage and eggs, evening meals were someting from the LCHF recipes.
My BG fasting levels dropped below 10 to start with now have dropped below 8 and I've just had the results for my latest HbA1c...
it's 40!!! with a green 'Normal' after it after seeing the surgery's nurse practioner I'm now off the evening Gliclazide

What I really want to do is thank everyone here for encouraging me, and everyone else, because without you I'd wouldn't have a clue about the direction I needed to take so Thank you very much!

Reactions: Joona and Caprock94

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Howto start..
In October 2016 my HbA1c was 106 it dropped down to 87 in June 2017 and to 60 by December of 2017
Around the beginning of 2018 I stopped taking Metformin much to the disgust of my then doctor who wouldn't prescribe anything else, however after seeing the surgery's diabetic doctor I was put on Sitagliptin and Gliclazide.
In April of 2018 I was getting BG fasting results as high as 25.8 and then in May my HbA1c was 84 - at the end of May I was seriously ill in hospital for 6 weeks (one of which was in ICU), my diabetic drugs when I was sent home was 100mg of Sitagliptin and 80mg of Gliclazide in the morning and 40mg in the evening
Moving on to March this year my HbA1c was 71 but I was due in to hospital for an operation and they wanted it below 68 before they would operate so my evening Gliclazide was increased to 80mg.

When I came out of hospital I spent quite a bit of time on this forum reading about LCHF and reading the sucess stories, reading the LCHF recipes and thinking "hey that's stuff that I like" So I started eating LCHF, gave up the wetabix and porridge and started the day with scrambled eggs or bacon sausage and eggs, evening meals were someting from the LCHF recipes.
My BG fasting levels dropped below 10 to start with now have dropped below 8 and I've just had the results for my latest HbA1c...
it's 40!!! with a green 'Normal' after it after seeing the surgery's nurse practioner I'm now off the evening Gliclazide

What I really want to do is thank everyone here for encouraging me, and everyone else, because without you I'd wouldn't have a clue about the direction I needed to take so Thank you very much!
Wowsers some amazing results well done you!

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Howto start..

What a great outcome and very much deserved. You ought to be very proud. (Too bad you weren't told in the beginning.)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

WOW..what a great end to a worrying tale.

Good for you taking on a new way of thinking and eating,
ain't the forum just great...:D

lest dump Donalds MAGA
and get our own version...MOBGA

Make Our Bodies Great Again.

great stuff.. @JulsX :D

Reactions: TinksMum

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Congrats, This really is the best web site forums in the world for Diabetes, as is shown by the international membership.

Last edited:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Murphymycat,
By the way, for many Type 2 diabetics anything containing Apple would not exactly be considered 'Low Carb', though Blackberries are not as high.

It can depend entirely on the quantity eaten at one time - I regularly eat this blackberry/apple mix baked in butter with a little cinnamon, and I consider it quite acceptably low carb:

150g blackberries at 5.1g carbs per 100g weight = 7.65g carbs
! small apple approx 12g carbs
total of 19.65g carbs divided into 4 portions is less then 5g carbs

So even with some extra carbs in say ground almonds for crumble. it's still perfectly acceptable low carb fodder.

And @Murphymycat: one of my favourite Autumn treats are tiny sweet/sour windfall apples that also come as freebies! :hungry::hungry:

Robbity

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
What a great outcome and very much deserved. You ought to be very proud. (Too bad you weren't told in the beginning.)
I think it is "our" responsibility to not only push towards getting the guidelines changed, but ensuring this happens. By changed, I mean low carb none vegetable oil fat being a promoted option for diagnosed diabetes. "We" have a right to getting back the 10 years uncontrolled diabetes could take.

Reactions: Oldvatr

want_to_be_well_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes back in October 2017. I believe I had been undiagnosed for years. My Hba1c. test was 65. I had constant memory lapses, brain fog, a thumb infection that would not go away after 2 lots of antibiotics. I thought I had dementia. I was also about 17 1/2 stone. I refused medications and researched using Google and You Tube. I came across a man who advocated the GPS diet, getting rid of Grains, Potatoes and Sugar. In effect going onto a low carb diet. My blood sugar levels and weight both began to reduce. By March 2018 - my Hba1c was down to 49. June- 40. September -38. December- 37. I also introduced Intermittent Fasting courtesy of Dr Jason Fung. My weight is also down to about 14 stone 7. Not ideal but better than it was ! My energy levels have also improved and my immune system has improved. SO yes Low Carb Vegetarian has been a success. My last Hba1c test was in November 2019 and down to 36. I am now waiting for my latest test results.

want_to_be_well_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My latest Hba1c is up 2 points to 38. I am so not happy about this. I am thinking of going on an extended fast under medical supervision. Has anyone else done this and what were the results ?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My latest Hba1c is up 2 points to 38. I am so not happy about this. I am thinking of going on an extended fast under medical supervision. Has anyone else done this and what were the results ?
That’s brilliant news, well done! I think @bulkbiker has done extended fasts. Now I’ve tagged him, hopefully he’ll come along with some advice for you.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How extended were you thinking.. ?

Edit to add.. maybe start a thread in the fasting section of the forum so more people can see it?

want_to_be_well_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How extended were you thinking..

I am not sure. I was thinking of maybe one week ? I would hope to really bring down my insulin levels, sugar levels, and burn off the fat around my liver ! The Doctor is not bothered about a 2 point increase. Fortunately I take my health rather more seriously.