ND done, 5:2 fast didnt work now ND with a twist

Defren

Re: A Geordie trying the Newcastle Diet

tree-peony said:
One day at a time.... :)

Exactly, the last 7 weeks have flown, no reason this final week won't. Can't wait to go grocery shopping next Saturday in preparation - how sad is that? :lol:

Defren

I have just ordered the very last shakes I will order for the Newcastle diet. I checked how many I had, and was a few short for the week, so, last order just made. I had to order from Amazon as Boots were out of stock. :(

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Playing catch up so only just seen your last few posts.

I hope you are feeling a bit more like your normal self to-day and that the news on your mom is positive. She sounds quite feisty, a tad like yourself, so just imagine her reaction if she finds out that her daughter has lost her drive. I know you can get through this last week of the ND. Chin up, only 7 days left until your Bacon and Eggs. :)

Defren

catza said:
Playing catch up so only just seen your last few posts.

I hope you are feeling a bit more like your normal self to-day and that the news on your mom is positive. She sounds quite feisty, a tad like yourself, so just imagine her reaction if she finds out that her daughter has lost her drive. I know you can get through this last week of the ND. Chin up, only 7 days left until your Bacon and Eggs. :)

Thanks so much Catza.

My mom was a red head too :lol: Moi, feisty? Nooooooooooo lol

I do feel much better today, and the news about mom is much better, so onwards to the end, seven days to go - woo hoo.

Defren

Sunday June 10 - day 49

Lunch
+2 5.1

Dinner Solid meal: 100Gg steak with mixed salad 170 cals 3g carbs
+2 5.0

Supper
+2 Not done yet

3rd shake missed today.
+2

Fluid

Water 2.5L
Black tea 1
Black coffee 1
Green tea with pineapple and grapefruit
Green tea with blueberry and raspberry
Camomile tea 0
Not keeping track of green and camomile tea, just water.

Exercise

Two hours quite brisk walking with the dogs. I did mean to have just a gentle stroll, but as it was chilly, had to up the pace, just to keep warm.

Verdict after day 48

Well, seven weeks done!! It's hard to think I now only have seven days and I have completed the diet. I can't deny that I am proud, as apart from three cheats, 2 in the first week, I have stuck to this as I said I would.

Weeks 1-4: 3 shakes a day only
Weeks 5-8: Was supposed to be 3 shakes and a meal a day, but only managed 3 shakes twice, so it's been 2 shakes and a meal each day. Calories for the last 7 weeks have been under 600 a day. Week 8 will also be under 600 calories a day.

Confessions after week 7

YES!! I NEED bacon and egg :lol: No, no confessions, I have stuck to the diet absolutely.

Tomorrow is my final Monday on the diet, and weigh in.

Defren

Weight loss is 3lbs this week, but as TOTM hit, I'm not surprised. Maybe with a bit of luck I will have a good loss next week once the water retention has gone, to finish the weight side of the ND with a flourish. 3lb is still a good loss, and I am really happy.

Defren

tree-peony said:
well done! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you. :D

My very last shakes arrived today. It is such a strange thought that, unless I choose to use a meal replacement shake, to replace just one meal, I won't be ordering any more. When you begin the ND, eight weeks seems a long way away, now I am down to just a few days, it's gone by so quickly. I know it will be odd to eat all meals properly again, but I am so looking forward to that change. :mrgreen:

Defren

Monday June 11 - day 50

Lunch
+2 5.6

Dinner Solid meal: 100g grilled chicken with mixed salad. 151 calories 3g carbs
+2 6.0

Supper
+2 6.0

3rd shake missed today.
+2

Fluid

Water 2.L
Black tea 2
Black coffee 2
Camomile tea

Exercise

2 hours gentle walking outside, broken into two hour long sessions.

Verdict after day 50

On a thread here today, some one mentioned that BG can rise during that time of the month, and it seems I am another who is proving that theory. I have to admit, I didn't take any notice last time, and wouldn't have this time, had I not seen the thread. This does then beg the question, does that mean woman will usually have higher HbA1c readings than men due to three lots of higher readings per quarter? If so, then I call that not fair!!

Feeling really good. I have also finally decided what I am going to do post diet. It will be my modified version of the Atkins diet. Not to take away from Viv's modifications, but my version will pretty much be induction (under 20g of carbs a day) and no wheat or grain products - at all!! I can't reconcile the idea that wheat and grains are healthy for me, just as I don't accept carbs in any serious quantity help BG, so I have to follow my own instincts. I will eat dairy, especially cheese, which I have SOOOOO missed. I don't really use milk for anything, but single cream with grated cheese mixed together and nuked makes a lovely cheese sauce, and a glug of double cream on sugar free jelly is an indulgent treat. That's not including the Greek yogurt, creme fraiche, double and single cream in baking, which is a job I love.

So, I shall be a modern cave lady, who has the luxury of a dairy :lol:

I will be trying carbier foods to see if the ND has made a difference, and as I really couldn't tolerate carbs well at all, it should be pretty easy for me to know. I am going to keep the carbs low until after I have my HbA1c done June 27, as I do want the results to be as they are, and not tainted by high BG should my tolerance to carbs still be low.

[edit to add] supper +2

Defren

Tuesday June 12 - day 51

Lunch
+2 forgot

Dinner Solid meal: 100g grilled chicken with steamed mixed veg 168 calories 2g carbs
+2 5.3

Supper
+2 5.3

3rd shake missed today.
+2

Fluid

Water 2.5L
Black tea 0
Black coffee 0
Camomile tea

Exercise

2 hours vigorous walking outside, broken into two hour long sessions.

Verdict after day 50

Brilliant. Had some really brilliant news that has lifted my spirits so much. Life really does seem to want to be easy at the moment. I am always nervous saying things are going so well, as I am afraid I may jinx things.

Health wise, couldn't feel better, as I have said many times before, I sleep so much sounder and wake so much more refreshed, after sleeping less hours. I have more energy, more vitality, my skin, hair and nails are really in great shape. My appetite is so small, yet I always eat until I am absolutely full. I never ever feel hungry.

5 days to go.

[edit to add] +2 supper

Defren

tree-peony said:
not long to go now :)

I know, I can't wait to get to the finishing line now. I can't believe I have almost done it.

Thank you for your support all the way along TP. xx

youngmanfrank

Well done on seeing the diet through to the end.Just a quick request,please keep posting afterwards.

A number of people have tried this diet,but in the long term what is needed is regular posts after the diet to chart progress.Is the diet a short term fix or will it offer long term benefit?The only way we can know is if people who have done the diet keep posting, whether it is good or bad news.

Defren

youngmanfrank said:
Well done on seeing the diet through to the end.Just a quick request,please keep posting afterwards.

A number of people have tried this diet,but in the long term what is needed is regular posts after the diet to chart progress.Is the diet a short term fix or will it offer long term benefit?The only way we can know is if people who have done the diet keep posting, whether it is good or bad news.

Thanks Frank, it's been... interesting shall we say, and I am glad I can see the finishing line.

Yes, of course I will keep posting figures, maybe an average once a week or so, just so people know what happens post diet. I know my FBG is brilliant, today was 4.4 so isn't going to get better than that. I will try carbier meals, but not until after my HbA1c on June 27 as I don't want a false reading for that. My post diet will remain Atkins induction, so <20g of carbs a day, and also no wheat or grains.

Thanks for your support on this journey too, it's been an experience :D

Defren

Wednesday June 13 - day 52

Lunch
+2 Missed I was out.

Dinner Solid meal: 50g lamb steak with mixed salad 158 calories 5g carbs
+2 4.9

Supper
+2 5.3

3rd shake missed today.
+2

Fluid

Water 1.5L measured but also 4 bottles of water while out, so about 3L
Black tea 1
Black coffee 1
Camomile tea

Exercise

2 hours gentle walking + 83 calories burned, just moving around (pedometer).

Verdict after day 52

With only four days left, I suppose I would be a liar if I didn't say that wanting to cheat is now becoming a daily occurrence. So far I haven't, but I can't honestly say I wont. The lure of real meals is really pretty strong now. I so want to be able to say I did it as it is supposed to be done, but these last few days are harder than the rest of the diet put together.

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You can do it Defren. So few days to go now you can't be breaking the ND now when you have come so far. Imagine how cross you will be with yourself if you give in to temptation at this late stage.

Go Defren Go
Mauridia_26.gif

Defren

catza said:
You can do it Defren. So few days to go now you can't be breaking the ND now when you have come so far. Imagine how cross you will be with yourself if you give in to temptation at this late stage.

Go Defren Go
Mauridia_26.gif

I would be FURIOUS and hate myself if I did cheat, I know I would, but it's so haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard now. All along it's been really quite easy, but now I can see the finish line - grrrr. I will do everything, and use every last bit of willpower I have, to see this through to the end. 4 days, only four more days. :lol:

Jo xx

Defren

Thursday June 14 - day 53

Lunch
+2 4.8

Dinner Solid meal: 100g turkey breast fillet with steamed veg 170 calories 1g carbs
+2 5.1

Supper
+2 5.2

3rd shake missed today.
+2

Fluid

Water 2.5L
Black tea 0
Black coffee 2
Camomile tea

Exercise

None, no excuse, no reason, just a lazy cow! :oops:

Verdict after day 53

Really good and ironically as I have not exercised today, I was sure I would feel yuk, but I don't. I do seem to be running around quite a bit these days and maybe my body is happy not to be pushed today. (You know that's **** and so do I, but it sounds good :lol: ).

Another day almost over now I have 3 days left. I can do that, and I will. Three days and counting - yeah!!

[edit to add] Supper +2