+2

Fluid

Water 3L
Black tea 2
Black coffee 1
Green tea with pineapple and grapefruit
Green tea with blueberry and raspberry
Camomile tea
Not keeping track of green and camomile tea, just water.

Exercise

2 hours brisk pace with the hounds.

Verdict after day 54

Only the weekend to go, then I can say I did the ND with absolutely minimal cheating (only 3 times, one quite bad a piece of home made low cab cake, 2 minor a stick of celery on two separate occasions) so I think I can claim compliance :lol:

I feel really, really good, so excited that I am almost touching the finishing line now. I am going grocery shopping tomorrow and it will be the first proper shop in 2 months. Rather than my meals arriving by post, I will be able to go and choose all the things I have missed so much. This experience has encompassed all kinds of emotions, from elation at low BG's and weight loss, to complete despair when the need for real food takes over, but I have done it.

Over the weekend I am going to read back all of my diary, just to remind me all about this journey. I really do feel the fittest and healthiest I have done in well over a decade. I am now at a place I never dreamed I could be at only months ago.

I have also made another decision. Christmas is a time where we usually let our hair down, and just because I am diabetic why can't I? Well, I will. I am not a chocolate fan, so that won't be a problem. However, Christmas lunch is one of my favourite meals of the year. I will have small amounts of mashed potato, roasties and stuffing - I know, what a rebel eh? :lol: So, because I will have certain things I usually have on my 'banned' list, come January 1, I shall do the Newcastle diet all through January every year. That will get my BG back on track and kick my ass back into ketosis.

2 days left 'till I can say "I DID THE NEWCASTLE DIET!!"

burkee

Re: A Geordie trying the Newcastle Diet

Geordie
You continue to be an inspiration to us all. I have been nowhere near as marvelous as you.
Get well and fit soon.

I am about to commence round two. I am leaner and fitter and off all meds (including Lantus twice a day) except Metformin. GP thinks I am amazing. Actually my healthcare staff have been very supportive if a little amazed.

So next 10 kgs to go. We have a farm holding as well as full time jobs, so time for additional gym etc difficult through the winter ( I am in New Zealand - so opposite way to you) Looking forward to the lighter evenings to walk or attend classes.
Like you I have struggled to get testing strips - we have to purchase them through our diabetic association. Whom I normally steer clear of, as they are very old fashioned - low carb is a dirty word....
The only downside of the diet is obtaining Optifast products which I can get from Auckland but only 4 flavours !!! and two soups - the soup is horrible. Still It is only for 8 weeks, I can do it. Will post this time instead of being a silent voyeur....
Start Monday. :D

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Good luck with the ND burkee. I hope you are going to run a thread diary of your progress as Defren has done so that we can all support you on your journey over the coming weeks.

Defren, I am so happy for you and can just imagine the look of glee on your face as you fill your shopping basket to-day. Enjoy yourself, you have earned it.

Defren

burkee said:
Geordie
You continue to be an inspiration to us all. I have been nowhere near as marvelous as you.
Get well and fit soon.

I am about to commence round two. I am leaner and fitter and off all meds (including Lantus twice a day) except Metformin. GP thinks I am amazing. Actually my healthcare staff have been very supportive if a little amazed.

So next 10 kgs to go. We have a farm holding as well as full time jobs, so time for additional gym etc difficult through the winter ( I am in New Zealand - so opposite way to you) Looking forward to the lighter evenings to walk or attend classes.
Like you I have struggled to get testing strips - we have to purchase them through our diabetic association. Whom I normally steer clear of, as they are very old fashioned - low carb is a dirty word....
The only downside of the diet is obtaining Optifast products which I can get from Auckland but only 4 flavours !!! and two soups - the soup is horrible. Still It is only for 8 weeks, I can do it. Will post this time instead of being a silent voyeur....
Start Monday. :D

Thank you for your lovely words Burkee. Doing this diary was to help me, and if it inspired others that was an added bonus. I wrote the diary so it would be easy to record my feelings and views on a day to day basis. I hope you will do a diary, I found it really helpful. It will also allow us to come and support you, and having support is so important during this journey.

Off grocery shopping, I can't wait for Monday. :lol:

Mileana

Defren said:
Health wise, couldn't feel better, as I have said many times before, I sleep so much sounder and wake so much more refreshed, after sleeping less hours. I have more energy, more vitality, my skin, hair and nails are really in great shape.

You can do it :thumbup: :clap: :)

Defren

Mileana said:
Defren said:
Health wise, couldn't feel better, as I have said many times before, I sleep so much sounder and wake so much more refreshed, after sleeping less hours. I have more energy, more vitality, my skin, hair and nails are really in great shape.

You can do it :thumbup: :clap: :)

Just tomorrow to do, then I am done. Yeah, I can do that standing on my head. :lol:

Defren

Saturday June 16 - day 55

Lunch
+2 5.8

Dinner Solid meal: Ham and 1 boiled egg with mixed salad 170 calories 3g carbs
+2 4.6

Supper
+2 4.9

3rd shake missed today.
+2

Fluid

Water 2.5L
Black tea 1
Black coffee 1
Camomile tea

Exercise

Around 90 minutes gentle walking. The Olympic torch was all over the region today, so loads of things going on, even in the rain.

Verdict after day 55

Amazement! I can't quite believe I am just about at the end. Just tomorrow to go, and I will have finished the ND.

I went grocery shopping today, fridge full of cream, cheese, Greek yogurt, creme fraiche, you know all the yummy things we can eat. There is lots of fresh veg and salad, as well as some strawberry's, raspberry's, blue and blackberry's, cooked meats, sausage, prawns, all kinds of things. Freezer packed with meat and fish and cupboards packed with things like tuna olive oil and all my ingredients for baking. I actually have a low carb loaf in the oven as I type. It was amazing to shop for my meals again, rather than have them sent through the mail. I have my bacon, and Portabello mushrooms to join fried eggs and tomatoes for lunch on Monday. I am salivating just thinking of it all.

All in all I really am ready to leave the ND in the past now. I will do it each January, but for now, I've had enough. Roll on Monday.

ONE day left of the ND :lol:

[edit to add] Supper +2

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

:D Not a lot to say other than :D :D

Defren

catza said:
:D Not a lot to say other than :D :D

Thank you Catza. I must admit I am a bit like the Cheshire cat, with a huge grin. It will be even bigger this time tomorrow, and I won't be able to grin Monday, too much nice food to eat :lol:

Defren

Sunday June 17 - day 56

Lunch
+2 5.5

Dinner Solid meal: Pure veg meal 158 calories 6g carbs
+2 5.2

Supper
+2 not done yet

3rd shake missed today.
+2

Fluid

Water 2.5L
Black tea 1
Black coffee 2
Camomile tea

Exercise

About three hours gentle walking

Verdict after day 56

Truthfully, I'm not sure. Yes, I am SOOOOOOO proud I have done it, but I am also nervous now I am back in control of my diet fully again.

Confessions after week 8

None at all this week.

Well, it works!! My FBG's are always in the 4's and +2 meals always in the 4's or 5's never higher. Energy levels through the roof, skin, nails, hair in amazing condition, weight loss amazing> (I will give a complete total weight loss tomorrow as Monday is weigh in day and I can then say exactly what I have lost over the course of the 8 week diet).

Apart from my weight loss, and either weekly or bi weekly updates on my BG's post diet, this is Joanna signing out of the Newcastle diet. :wave:

Truffle

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Someone who knows it all.

Well done :clap: :clap:
Looking forward to the updates :thumbup:

Defren

Truffle said:
Well done :clap: :clap:
Looking forward to the updates :thumbup:

Thanks Truffle! Yes, I am looking forward to them as well. Other post diet results I have seen have been really encouraging, I hope mine are as good. Before the diet I had very, very low carb tolerance, lets see what I am like now?

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Another Well Done from me as well. I bet your family are really proud of what you have done and achieved over the last 8 weeks. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Defren

catza said:
Another Well Done from me as well. I bet your family are really proud of what you have done and achieved over the last 8 weeks. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks Catza, I think they, and me to a degree thought I may cave in at some point. There were times I wanted to, but didn't. Yes, they are all proud, and I am just relieved it's over :lol:

Final weight loss 2lbs this week, and another inch from my waist. I am now half an inch away from dropping another dress size.

Later today, I will work out all of my weigh loss while on the ND and post it.

I had my bacon and egg, OMG sooo worth waiting for. Joanna is a very happy bunny. :lol:

[edit to add] Total weight loss on the Newcastle diet is 53.7lbs which averages out at around 6.7lbs a week.

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Brilliant result. I also had Bacon and eggs for lunch and was thinking of you as I munched away. So this Jo-Anna was also a happy bunny. :)

Defren

catza said:
Brilliant result. I also had Bacon and eggs for lunch and was thinking of you as I munched away. So this Jo-Anna was also a happy bunny. :)

Oh wow, the two Joanna's, that's brilliant :D My lunch really was so yummy, well worth the wait.

I will add here, dinner was another meal I was so looking forward to, it was a large piece of smoked haddock with cauli mash and veg. I managed around half! With a solid meal at lunch time, then another at dinner and with a much reduced stomach, anyone who does the ND should be aware when you go back to eating, you have no option but to reduce portion sizes, as your tummy really does shrink, and quite a lot.

I had taken a piece of chicken, stilton and broccoli pie out of the freezer to snack on later, but I have a feeling it won't be needed today. I have also had three cups of coffee with 30mls of single cream in each. I know I won't want to live like this forever, but 8 weeks of deprivation I am allowing myself a treat or 3 or 4 :lol:

tree-peony

Sorry, I've been away working, and just got back.

WELL DONE for sticking with it to the bitter end! You will keep us updated on progress won't you :)

Defren

Absolutely!

This week my FBG have been between 4.8 & 5.3. +2 readings 5.2 & 6.1. My appetite has come back with a vengeance, so my weight loss is either going to slow right down or stall. I'm not too worried at this point as I only have a stone, stone and a half to loose to be at the weight I want to be at, which will take me to the low end of a normal BMI. So I have time to get it gone as I am not overweight any more. It will be nice to loose that last little bit, but that is more for me feeling better than necessity. BG's have risen slightly, but as I really didn't know what to expect, I am ok with that (except the 6's).

youngmanfrank

What to expect:

The average weight loss of the Newcastle volunteers was 15.3kg,which represented a -15% weight loss.Four weeks after the diet ended on average the volunteers had put back on an average of 3.1kg.Fasting bloods had risen slightly.

In my case I lost 10kgs,which also was interestingly a 15% reduction.Post diet I have put on 3lbs in just over seven months,all since Christmas,and all since I changed my exercise regime to include a daily 3 mile run for my newspaper up and down a steep hill.I can feel the extra muscle on my legs and am running much faster,so I guess it is just muscle and not fat.

At 3 month intervals I do 2 weeks of fasting blood tests,which I then average.The two I have done so far have both averaged 5.2.It is important not to worry about individual readings,which vary according to what you ate the night before,how much it was and when you ate it.At the moment my numbers are slightly up as evening after evening I have been sitting down watching the football!Most importantly at no time have I exceeded the 6.0 level which is the start of pre-diabetes,in fact I have varied in my tests from 4.7 to 5.7.

I think the most important part of adjusting post Newcastle is not to go overboard on your new freedom to eat properly again,and to try to control your calories to avoid weight gain,it is surprising how little food is required to provide the 1800 calories or so that you need.A bit of low carbing would also help.I have learnt recently that I have been described as a "control freak with food issues".Not a bad place to be in if you are trying to control your diabetes,however I prefer the verdict of the counsellor I was talking to at the time,who described me instead as a "highly disciplined,motivated and focused individual".Sounds like a Geordie we all know.