ND done, 5:2 fast didnt work now ND with a twist

Defren

Re: A Geordie trying the Newcastle Diet

Thank you Frank and TP. I am still very focused, I did have a day of rather large calories Saturday, but my carbs are still 25g a day or less, and have been since the diet. I watch carbs like a hawk.

My weight gain was 2 pounds this week, I can so live with that. I did expect a bigger gain to be honest, with ultra low carbs and high fat, and knowing all the test subjects gained post diet.

I still feel amazing, and have a huge energy surplus. Still sleeping really well. I honestly do believe the effects of the diet, coupled with weight loss make the changes you experience during the diet permanent, but I also think if you put on weight, then you will lose these benefits.

You need to keep quite a tight reign on your diet post ND and be mindful the ND is not a cure but a tool to help with control. It would be to easy to look at this as a cure and go back to old ways. I don't see anything as a cure as I don't believe there is one, so I naturally still watch and weigh all I eat. It just makes me feel safer and happier.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)

So when are you posting your last day. Iv'e watched your progress with interest, and have such admiration for your perseverance and self motivation.

Defren

dawnmc said:
So when are you posting your last day. Iv'e watched your progress with interest, and have such admiration for your perseverance and self motivation.

Hi Dawn, thank you!

My last day was Sunday June 17 and it is posted. It's one page back I think. I am pleased it's done, but it wasn't as bad as perhaps I had pictured in my mind. I will use it as a detox and do the whole of January each year (weight permitting) or at least a couple of weeks each January to help rid my body of Christmas excess. :lol:

andrewk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Folks who "know it all" (but don't)

Defren said:
I will use it as a detox

Yes, that's the kind of thing that I am thinking of doing. If I understand correctly, most of the pancreas/liver defatizing (is that a word?) occurs in the first week of the Newcastle diet. I had thought that I'd do one week in each quarter - and use only Atkins Advantage shakes. Maybe it would kickstart weight loss again if I plateau - I still have at least 3 stones more I want to lose.

Andrew

Defren

andrewk said:
Defren said:
I will use it as a detox

Yes, that's the kind of thing that I am thinking of doing. If I understand correctly, most of the pancreas/liver defatizing (is that a word?) occurs in the first week of the Newcastle diet. I had thought that I'd do one week in each quarter - and use only Atkins Advantage shakes. Maybe it would kickstart weight loss again if I plateau - I still have at least 3 stones more I want to lose.

Andrew

I am sure it will help, as we are all bound to gain some fat over the festive period, so if I do a month (weight permitting) or even just a couple of weeks, it is bound to help.

The advantage shakes will help with the weight loss. Mine came off on average at 6lb a week, but for 4 weeks I was only having shakes. It's a good way to kick start weight loss and have a good old clear out.

Defren

Just a quick update. Figures have now settled, I think coming off the diet shakes the body a bit, and once it's used to food again, it does level out.

Fasting levels are between 5.4 and 5.9 +2 meals between 4.8 and 6.4. I don't test before meals, so can't say if there are any spikes, but as I know the effects of the items I eat on my BG's I suspect the spike is minimal, I would be surprised if they rose 1.0%

Feeling great still, absolutely masses and masses of energy, it's amazing.

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks for the update Jo. Great to hear you are still feeling so well and to see that the wobble when you first finished the ND has steadied in to very acceptable figures. :thumbup:

May I ask whether your weight loss has also stabalised?

Defren

catza said:
Thanks for the update Jo. Great to hear you are still feeling so well and to see that the wobble when you first finished the ND has steadied in to very acceptable figures. :thumbup:

May I ask whether your weight loss has also stabalised?

Yes, it's now at a more sustainable 1-2lb a week. I would think I am likely to hit a plateau soon, so once I do I will do the shakes, or cut the calories until the weight starts to drop again. I had a shake for lunch today, I was busy so it was quick and easy - old habits die hard I guess. :lol:

A

Anonymous

Hello everyone, and especially Defren to whom I offer my sincerest congratulations.

I only learned about the Newcastle diet today and have read this entire thread after getting in from work. I don't normally use the vernacular, but I have to say I was gobsmacked at your weight loss and your progress. Also, recording your online diary and experiences with all of us was incredibly generous and helpful for which I offer my thanks.

I am contemplating switching to this diet although already I have reduced my carbs drastically with positive effects. In particular, cutting out grains (or at least cutting back drastically) has made me feel generally much better, with more energy and I am also sleeping much better which is not far off what you have been experiencing.

I have taken so much that is positive from your efforts at keeping us informed. Not only has it validated my own plans for the future management of my diabetes, but it has given me confidence to continue on the path I am on. The Newcastle Diet would accelerate my progress though.

Only one question: what does your GP now say at this stage of your plan? I'm intrigued to know what he thinks.

Dave x

Defren

Thank you Dave.

If I tell you my latest HbA1c was 4.9 will that give you an idea of what my GP said? :lol: My cholesterol is also now normal, and well within safe limits.

I do advocate that anyone who thinks the Newcastle diet could help you, then go for it. I am so pleased I did.

My BG's now range from 4.8 - 6.3 never higher, although they did initially, but have now completely settled down. I think it was the adjustment back onto a 'normal' diet, just gave my system a bit of a shock. My weight loss is now stable at between 1-3lb loss a week, and I am eating loads, but no carbs except from veg, no wheat, grains, milk, processed foods or ready meals. I also have all organic fruit and veg and meat. I have found a local company who sell organic produce of all kinds from organic local farmers, and my first delivery is tomorrow. I will check it out, then probably do all my organic food shopping with them. The beauty of that is we will then only be using in season produce, and that whole idea really appeals to me, although what I will replace my beloved 'berries and Greek yogurt with I am not sure. :( Still, it gives me something to look forward to when the berries are in season.

If I can help you in any way with the Newcastle diet, don't hesitate to ask here, or PM me. If I can help anyone give the diet a try, I will. I think it's a brilliant concept, and if I knew then what I know now, I would most certainly do it again. As I have said here before, I will do it for the entire month of January every year, to clear out and detox after the Christmas excess.

Joanna.

Sparklygal

Hi Drefen, just finished reading your entire diary. If I was wearing a hat I'd take it off to you. :D You have achieved amazing results in such a short space of time, understatement really! I wish you continued success with controlling your BG.

Defren

Sparklygal said:
Hi Drefen, just finished reading your entire diary. If I was wearing a hat I'd take it off to you. :D You have achieved amazing results in such a short space of time, understatement really! I wish you continued success with controlling your BG.

Thank you so much for your kind words. I did wonder sometimes if I were utterly mad, but looking back with the knowledge I have now, I don't think I was.

I tolerate carbs slightly better than I did, and with my BG pretty stable, and no real spikes to speak of, I feel pretty confident about the future.

My GP changed my Statins, which was a compromise, but I have learned that with our health teams, compromise is often a good thing. I wouldn't change my GP for the world, and even now, while house hunting, I will stay within the catchment area for the surgery. I trust him completely, and he understands me, a rare relationship between a T2 and their GP and one I won't jeopardise.

I have my first eye and feet clinic appointments, and I am looking forward to them with optimism as well, as I am sure they will be fine. If they are, then I know I have worked out what is right for me, just as we all must, individual and unique people, need individual and unique ways of control. I am lucky I found mine as quickly as I did. :D

Defren

Quick update. My weight is still dropping. I have not weighed myself as often as I used to, as I felt watching it drop by only a pound or two would be a bit disheartening after the drops I have been used to. However I weighed myself today and I have lost 15 pounds since the visit to my GP on Wednesday June 27. I am now as sure as I can be I will have reached my 91/2 stone preferred weight which will have me between 22 and 22.5 BMI by the end of September.

BS has settled at a level that is well within NICE guidelines, but not Joanna's happy guidelines, with figures always between 5.0 and 5.9 I never see a 4 and I never see a 6 it's the strangest thing. However, I am going to start a brand new lifestyle change. I plan to test it this week (tomorrow and Thursday) then start full time after my summer break in September. Everyone is back to work and school then and it should fit in fine. My new lifestyle change is; I plan to do the equivalent of the Newcastle diet, every Wednesday and Thursday - forever! Why? This: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... ve_Longer/ The idea that the less we eat, the longer we live, and regular fasting really resonates with me. I can see how the ND works and why, and this could be a path to a much healthier life for me. On my 5 regular days I will eat Atkins/primal as I do anyway with no calorie restriction, but still tight control on my carbs.

Once I have this running regularly from September I will post results. I am hoping above hope, this is where I begin to see my lovely 4's again!

Sparklygal

Re: Newcastle Diet done, now 5:2 fasting

yeah i watched that last night. did you see the indian man running the london marathon? He's 101 years old! :shock: The results were quite impressive, Michael Mosley improved his BG, cholesterol and lost over a stone too. I have tried intermittent fasting before but was having too many 'up' (cals) days after a while lol.

Defren

Sparklygal said:
yeah i watched that last night. did you see the indian man running the london marathon? He's 101 years old! :shock: The results were quite impressive, Michael Mosley improved his BG, cholesterol and lost over a stone too. I have tried intermittent fasting before but was having too many 'up' (cals) days after a while lol.

The 101 year old London marathon runner was amazing, I was beyond impressed. It is Micheal's results that have made me decide to do the fast. I accept it probably has to be a lifelong thing but If I can be like the marathon runner than it seems a small price to pay.

I have realised the way I was going to do 5:2 fasting is wrong. I thought I could do it like the Newcastle diet, but you need to do one meal a day reduced calories, not three meals as I thought. So, I have decided to do the 5:2 fast Tuesday's and Thursdays. The reason being, I had one shake yesterday, so exceptionally low calories, and I have not felt brilliant today. I think I just went too low calorie, so have not fasted today. I will begin my 5:2 fasting on Tuesday's and Thursdays the first week of September.

Defren

Today is day one of my new lifestyle change. I began my new Tuesday and Thursday fasting regime. The low calories have not been a problem, I have drunk loads of water, had my rather meager meal at dinner this evening and have been fine. The biggest shock of all came around 10 minutes ago. I was just getting sorted out to go to bed and decided to take my BG. It was 4.1!! I have had a grand total of 417 calories 21g of carbs. I am still completely in shock. Since finishing the Newcastle Diet, my BG levels rose slightly to a level of 5-6 never higher or lower, until today [apart from a 9.4 on holiday which scared the living daylights out of me].

So, is this my body using my glucose stores to fuel it's self? If not, what would cause that kind of drop?

Defren

Second day fasting this week, and like with Tuesday everything is going fine. My BG is [by my own usual readings] at the low end of normal at 5.2. I will have my one meal for dinner with the family. Stomach growling a bit, so I am drinking loads of water and green chai tea, so not adding any calories.

It is hard to think this could be my diet for the rest of my life, but I feel I have to give my body the best chance I can, so I can live as long and as healthy a life as possible. I am curious as to what say a month 5 weeks will do for me, and it's quite exciting to watch for any small changes as time goes by.

After the ND I will say this is a bit tougher on fasting days, when I did the ND I was never hungry, today I am, but needs must!

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Keep it up. I keep meaning to start this - very sure I'll be joining you soon, Defren!

Defren

Patch said:
Keep it up. I keep meaning to start this - very sure I'll be joining you soon, Defren!

Be great to have you along Patch. I've just had dinner 150g smoked haddock and veg, total calories today 261. I have to admit, I am looking forward to tomorrow, normal meals again and no more fasting until next Tuesday.