1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Need Snack Ideas

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Patrick66, Jan 10, 2019.

1. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

There is an app called copymethat. You can add a menu you find on the internet straight into the app. I find it really handy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Ellit

Ellit Type 2 · Active Member

3. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

Incidentally, if fridges are full just get a small cool bag and pop an ice pack in it..

I make up berries and yogurt and take in small cool bag. Like others say, there are some really good97% sausages and quite often on offer in supermarkets.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Ellit

Ellit Type 2 · Active Member

Grab yourself some packs of crispy bacon rashers.Already cooked you can nibble a rasher anytime.I buy from Aldis...m&s. No carbs so very small spike if any.

• Like Like x 1
  5. xfieldok

Always check the ingredients on any packets you buy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Patrick66

Patrick66 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you for that info.

I really don’t need any more laxatives lol.

• Like Like x 1
  7. rhalluk

rhalluk · Member

Most of the Morrison's the best range are LC. I found Sainsbury's the highest. Have tried the muffins they are good.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Patrick66

Patrick66 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don’t have a Sainsbury’s near me so I’m safe. I’ll have a look around

9. Stephen Lewis

Stephen Lewis Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Not sure if you get them in the UK but mini pepperoni sticks are very low carb and in Canada we usually get different flavours. I have a couple in the late morning or afternoon after a visit to the gym. There are some brands that do not need to be in the fridge. They work for me when I need a nibble. Wish we could get pork scratchings here.

• Like Like x 2
  10. xfieldok

Make your own. Can you get pig skin from your butcher?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

• Like Like x 2
  12. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Stephen - Can you acquire Pork Rinds, or Chicharron? I know in US, they go by those names. Just a thought.

13. knoxy55

knoxy55 Type 2 · Active Member

How much of each ingredient did you use please?

• Like Like x 1
  14. xfieldok

@knoxy55 I don't remember. I found a recipe online for granola bars. I opted not to use oats. I didn't have all the ingredients specified. I looked at the overall weight of the ingredients then dug around the cupboards for all the nuts and seeds.

I lightly toasted coconut flakes, flaked almonds and sesame seeds. I added chopped walnuts, sunflower and pumpkin seeds. Probably other things as well.

The coconut oil is what holds it together once cooled, so it's important to make sure everything is coated.

• Like Like x 1
  15. knoxy55

knoxy55 Type 2 · Active Member

Thank you will have to get some seeds and have the other ingredients will give them a go. How do you record them on you food diary?

16. xfieldok

Look up the carb values for each of the individual ingredients, add them up and divide by the number of bars you make. It's a rough guide because the chance is the bars will be different weights, however, life is too short to weigh each bar and mark with the carb count :)

Edited to correct typo.

17. RetroHelen

RetroHelen Type 2 · Member

We do collectors toy fairs fairly regularly, so for a packed lunch I take a small zipped cool case with it's plastic ice-block to keep contents cool. Then atop of the ice block, in the cool case, I have one of those kids lunch boxes with small compartments in it.These are different options for the compartments: I have carrot and celery sticks. I have a hard boiled egg, or a small jar (that had a low carb pesto in it once) with a pickled egg in it. Mixed tree nuts, preferably blanched to keep the mineral depleting phytic acid down. 2/3 Cherry tomatoes; another small jar or pot of low carb live eg Greek yoghurt Fage (no added lactose laced powdered milk to thicken it as it's strained to be thick and the live bacteria have eaten the lactose) decanted into a small jar with a samll plastic spoon . Another small pot with 2 forks of saurkraut or a pickled gerkin for different probiotics to the yoghurt. For a treat I have a couple of squares of or 3 big buttons of Chocologic sugar free dark chocolate. Couple of chunks of hard cheese of choice. Cereal-free low carb sausages cooked and chopped from a previous day. A few Blueberries or sour cherries.

• Like Like x 1
  18. James1013

James1013 Type 1 · Newbie

I like Spanish omelette / frittata. You can have it cold and add all sorts seasonal veg. Why not add a side salad, home made salsa?
    The cool bag mentioned above is a great idea, and avoids fridge politics!

19. JeanCL

JeanCL · Active Member

There are some very 'cool' mini coolbags around, which have been a lifesaver for me, especially as I don't tolerate cows milk!

20. DianaMC

DianaMC Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I tried an experiment for a New Years party contribution of replacing the potatoes in a Spanish tortilla omelette with sliced red pepper and cubed feta cheese (you could maybe substitute cheddar?) it was delicious! The tortilla can be stored in the fridge at home then cut off a slice to have later at work - probably ok at room temperature within a few hours. Or keep in a mini cool box like others have said.

The cocoa yogurt sounds good - I’ve tried stuff like that and it’s quite nice if you miss choc and puds (as I sometimes do). I found it better with something zero sugar mixed in - like Natvia or Zero syrup (although they’re hard to find easily and they vary in ingredient and which are ‘natural’ - in case that matters)

I’m currently experimenting with sugar substitutes, with mixed results. Recently Googled ‘maltitol and flatulence’ - which explained everything about a bloated stomach following eating too many Balance Christmas chocolates (from Holland & Barret)! I think they’re ok if having just one or two, but more than that preferably not on an empty stomach!

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook