Newbie needs advice

janinebul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi.
I’ve had bloodwork and I am discussing it with the doctor next Monday. Meanwhile I’ve bought a glucose kit and have been testing my blood since Wednesday. It’s not been below 250 and tonight went to 515.

I’ve been hunting chats... and it went down to 436

I just don’t know what to do....

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi again,
OK that is high. Drink a lot of water and then test again. That should help lower it a bit.
Does Texas have a medical advice line you can call for suggestions?

What did you have to eat? So perhaps we can help avoid it happening again.

janinebul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But the it went down to 456
Okay. It down to 361!
Good. I’ll sleep now. From what I’ve read that is still too high but it’s 1:30 here. I’ll sleep and exercise tomorrow.

At least my head isn’t pounding

janinebul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi again,
OK that is high. Drink a lot of water and then test again. That should help lower it a bit.
Does Texas have a medical advice line you can call for suggestions?

What did you have to eat? So perhaps we can help avoid it happening again.

Moving my daughter so they brought in tacos. No one knows I might have diabetes yet so I just went with the flow.... I just wanted to talk to someone without letting hubby know.

It’s down to 365 and I’m feeling better.

janinebul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey thanks....

I was a bit scared. Your replies made me feel better.
G’nite!
Janine

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Janine, are you confident that you are T2 and not T1 (people can get this at any age)? Be aware that if there is a chance you have T1 then you may need medical attention before Monday. Untreated T1 diabetics can develop diabetic ketoacidosis when their blood sugars run high and they have insufficient insulin in their system, and this can put you in a coma and kill you if you don't get treatment in intensive care at a hospital.

I know you don't want to worry your husband but those sugar are very high and you may need emergency help. (Most likely you'll be fine, but it's not a risk you want to take.) You might want to phone your doctor in the morning and tell him/her about your readings.

Good luck.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi.
I’ve had bloodwork and I am discussing it with the doctor next Monday. Meanwhile I’ve bought a glucose kit and have been testing my blood since Wednesday. It’s not been below 250 and tonight went to 515.

I’ve been hunting chats... and it went down to 436

I just don’t know what to do....
Hey Janine,

I checked your profile and you've been a little all over the place, but not getting many answers, mainly because everyone you contact directly's been asleep or at work, or you posted under other topics where your questions kind of drowned. The forum is a little tricky to navigate sometimes, sorry.

Those numbers are very high, and you don't know what type you are yet. Honestly, honey, this isn't the time to spare anyone's feelings or try to keep them from worrying. You should not be going through this alone. Tell them. Especially because you don't know why your bloodsugars are running high. T2, T1, anyone's guess. You're about to help your child move in the morning, and if something goes wrong, they won't know what to do. I am aware you want to help with the move, and we can tell you to go to the doc's (or a walk-in, or anywhere where you're seen this very day), and you'll feel like you're letting people down if you do, rather than help your daughter. You're not letting anyone down, you just need to be seen. Rather urgently.

That said, none of us here can diagnose, but for the moment, and I'll probably get in a little trouble because of this, but heck: Keep the carbs to a minimum. Bloodsugars go up because of the carbs a person eats. It's not just sugars, it's starches too. That means taco's are a no no! No bread, corn, potatoes, cereal, pasta, rice, fruit, anything wheat based... Things that won't make your bloodsugar skyrocket, as I'm hoping and praying right now that you're a T2, are meat, fish, poultry, eggs, cheese, leafy greens, above ground veggies, full fat greek yoghurt, olives, pork scratchings, that sort of thing. Those are safe for you to eat if they're not breaded or anything. I know with a move -as I'm pretty sure you're going to go through with it no matter what we tell you- it's usually getting something delivered, but whatever you do, do NOT touch a pizza or taco's. Just go for the salad option! Have a double if need be (if they only serve those tiny little side salads rather than the meal-worthy ones). Go for mayo as dressing rather than honey-mustard or anything else sugar laden. And in the morning, before you head out, just have eggs with bacon and maybe high meat content sausages for breakfast. No "healthy" smoothies, no bread or cereal. If you eat fatty food without a load of carbs, you'll still feel full and your bloodsugars won't go all too high. (Considering their starting point).

When/if you have a little more time, read these things: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ , which is my own little quick-start guide for T2's, and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/ It's all mainly geared towards T2's, but if you should be an untreated T1, this advice should help you with your bloodsugars as well. Not as good as proper care, but it's a patch-up job until you see someone.

Please take care of yourself. And don't do this alone. I don't know if you don't want to worry people or whether you feel ashamed or something... But diabetes is a genetic issue, unless it's brought on by medication use or similar, which is never ever the person's fault. If you're overweight, which a lot of T2's are, it is a symptom of the disease, not a cause, and if you don't know it's the carbs causing the problem, you follow the usual low-fat advice, which is exactly wrong for a T2. So please, whatever your reason to keep this hidden... You want them to know. Really. It's a scary time, and me, I don't know how I would've gotten through it if it hadn't been for my husband and my family and friends' support.

I hope to read you again soon. Take care of yourself.
Hugs,
Jo

Last edited:
Reactions: Flora123

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know you don't want to worry your husband but those sugar are very high and you may need emergency help. (Most likely you'll be fine, but it's not a risk you want to take.) You might want to phone your doctor in the morning and tell him/her about your readings.
Definitely agree with this.
Also if you start feeling sick or nauseous you must see someone immediately (ie. get to a hospital asap) as you may be suffering from diabetic ketoacidosis which is a killer if not dealt with quickly.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Hmmm, you might be asleep by now. I am in the US too. So for tomorrow or the next time. Urgent care if you run too high will give you a shot of insulin to bring down a high number. So you might find out when they close so you can make that decision before they close if you stay high. Urgent cares are usually easier and you get seen quicker than going to an ER. Do you have ketone strips? If you have ketone strips, whenever you run high you should test. And if you have ketones you have to be wary of DKA.

Too many of us type 1's are misdiagnosed as a type 2, so you need to be on the watch for that. Some people do better than others at higher numbers, some get sick even when they are in the 200's. Sometimes your insurance company will have a nurse that you can call and get advice and sometimes your doctors group will have a nurse you can call. You might check, it can be very helpful.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, @janinebul ,
I noticed that you've been on line again and posted the following message on @philchap1 's profile page: "My blood this morning first thing is 356"
Philchap isn't online at the moment so he won't see it right now, and people don't often notice messages on other people's profiles, it was just coincidence that I saw it.

You'll be sure to get responses from different member if you start a new thread (go to 'Forums', choose the part you want to post it, for instance 'Ask a question' and you should find a green button saying 'Post New Thread').

I also expect more members will chip in again on this thread now I've posted on it, which makes it move up in the 'recent post' list.

With your fasting blood sugar this high I'd urge you to seek professional advice today, especially as you don't have a way to test for ketones.

Good luck!

janinebul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, @janinebul ,
I noticed that you've been on line again and posted the following message on @philchap1 's profile page: "My blood this morning first thing is 356"
Philchap isn't online at the moment so he won't see it right now, and people don't often notice messages on other people's profiles, it was just coincidence that I saw it.

You'll be sure to get responses from different member if you start a new thread (go to 'Forums', choose the part you want to post it, for instance 'Ask a question' and you should find a green button saying 'Post New Thread').

I also expect more members will chip in again on this thread now I've posted on it, which makes it move up in the 'recent post' list.

With your fasting blood sugar this high I'd urge you to seek professional advice today, especially as you don't have a way to test for ketones.

Good luck!

Thanks. I just called my doctor. I was due for a appointment next Monday but when I told her that my blood was at 517 last night I’m coming in at four today.

I just opened up my bloodwork and it says my A1C is 10.4

This is all new to me and I have to admit that I’m a little frightened

Reactions: Marie 2

janinebul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Janine, are you confident that you are T2 and not T1 (people can get this at any age)? Be aware that if there is a chance you have T1 then you may need medical attention before Monday. Untreated T1 diabetics can develop diabetic ketoacidosis when their blood sugars run high and they have insufficient insulin in their system, and this can put you in a coma and kill you if you don't get treatment in intensive care at a hospital.

Good luck.
Thank you Ellie!
I did call. They are getting me in at 4
My gynecologist never sent over my bloodwork so GP Didn’t know it was a problem. And no I don’t know what type of diabetic I am. I guess I’ll find out today at four

Reactions: Marie 2

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm very happy you'll be seeing someone today!
Big hug and good luck, and please let us know what happens.
And no I don’t know what type of diabetic I am. I guess I’ll find out today at four
Your GP won't be able to tell you right away, those tests take time.

janinebul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey Janine,

I checked your profile and you've been a little all over the place, but not getting many answers, mainly because everyone you contact directly's been asleep or at work, or you posted under other topics where your questions kind of drowned. The forum is a little tricky to navigate sometimes, sorry.

Those numbers are very high, and you don't know what type you are yet. Honestly, honey, this isn't the time to spare anyone's feelings or try to keep them from worrying. You should not be going through this alone. Tell them. Especially because you don't know why your bloodsugars are running high. T2, T1, anyone's guess. You're about to help your child move in the morning, and if something goes wrong, they won't know what to do. I am aware you want to help with the move, and we can tell you to go to the doc's (or a walk-in, or anywhere where you're seen this very day), and you'll feel like you're letting people down if you do, rather than help your daughter. You're not letting anyone down, you just need to be seen. Rather urgently.

That said, none of us here can diagnose, but for the moment, and I'll probably get in a little trouble because of this, but heck: Keep the carbs to a minimum. Bloodsugars go up because of the carbs a person eats. It's not just sugars, it's starches too. That means taco's are a no no! No bread, corn, potatoes, cereal, pasta, rice, fruit, anything wheat based... Things that won't make your bloodsugar skyrocket, as I'm hoping and praying right now that you're a T2, are meat, fish, poultry, eggs, cheese, leafy greens, above ground veggies, full fat greek yoghurt, olives, pork scratchings, that sort of thing. Those are safe for you to eat if they're not breaded or anything. I know with a move -as I'm pretty sure you're going to go through with it no matter what we tell you- it's usually getting something delivered, but whatever you do, do NOT touch a pizza or taco's. Just go for the salad option! Have a double if need be (if they only serve those tiny little side salads rather than the meal-worthy ones). Go for mayo as dressing rather than honey-mustard or anything else sugar laden. And in the morning, before you head out, just have eggs with bacon and maybe high meat content sausages for breakfast. No "healthy" smoothies, no bread or cereal. If you eat fatty food without a load of carbs, you'll still feel full and your bloodsugars won't go all too high. (Considering their starting point).

When/if you have a little more time, read these things: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ , which is my own little quick-start guide for T2's, and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/ It's all mainly geared towards T2's, but if you should be an untreated T1, this advice should help you with your bloodsugars as well. Not as good as proper care, but it's a patch-up job until you see someone.

Please take care of yourself. And don't do this alone. I don't know if you don't want to worry people or whether you feel ashamed or something... But diabetes is a genetic issue, unless it's brought on by medication use or similar, which is never ever the person's fault. If you're overweight, which a lot of T2's are, it is a symptom of the disease, not a cause, and if you don't know it's the carbs causing the problem, you follow the usual low-fat advice, which is exactly wrong for a T2. So please, whatever your reason to keep this hidden... You want them to know. Really. It's a scary time, and me, I don't know how I would've gotten through it if it hadn't been for my husband and my family and friends' support.

I hope to read you again soon. Take care of yourself.
Hugs,
Jo
You are so very sweet! Thank you for all of your kind advice. I did contact my doctor this morning and going in at 4 o’clock. So I guess I’ll get some answers as to what type of diabetes I have. I had no idea that the two were very much different.

It’s funny that you said something about healthy shakes in the morning. That’s what I’ve had for the last year. I thought I was doing good with green beans and blueberries and a protein shake but now maybe that was a great idea after all. LOL. Today I had eggs with a little bacon. I’m glad that I did the right thing. LOL even after my Pilates class my blood sugar didn’t seem to go down very much. But I’ve read that exercise is a good way of helping

Glad Hubby is gone out of town for the night. That way I can figure things out. I don’t want to worry him, he’s at a very high stress job. And honestly I am really ashamed that my weight has brought on diabetes.

I am going to have the doctor suggest some support groups so I can figure all of this out. It seems like quite an undertaking.

Once again, thank you so much for all of your advice. Honestly it looks like you just eat the way you really should eat. Without all of the white food.

Janine

janinebul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely agree with this.
Also if you start feeling sick or nauseous you must see someone immediately (ie. get to a hospital asap) as you may be suffering from diabetic ketoacidosis which is a killer if not dealt with quickly.
Honestly I think I may have come close to that. I was super icky. But it came down a bit finally.

I won’t let that happen again.

janinebul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmm, you might be asleep by now. I am in the US too. So for tomorrow or the next time. Urgent care if you run too high will give you a shot of insulin to bring down a high number. So you might find out when they close so you can make that decision before they close if you stay high. Urgent cares are usually easier and you get seen quicker than going to an ER. Do you have ketone strips? If you have ketone strips, whenever you run high you should test. And if you have ketones you have to be wary of DKA.

Too many of us type 1's are misdiagnosed as a type 2, so you need to be on the watch for that. Some people do better than others at higher numbers, some get sick even when they are in the 200's. Sometimes your insurance company will have a nurse that you can call and get advice and sometimes your doctors group will have a nurse you can call. You might check, it can be very helpful.
Huh.... don’t know what ketone test would tell me. I know the ketone diet...

So.... My very limited knowledge tells me that type is usually diagnosed early childhood? But what’s the difference between type one and type two isn’t it all the same thing?

I will ask the doctor at 4

Last testing was 350 something and I feel pretty crummy. Last night when it was a bit over 500 my head was really unhappy. 4 o’clock cannot come soon enough

janinebul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm very happy you'll be seeing someone today!
Big hug and good luck, and please let us know what happens.

Your GP won't be able to tell you right away, those tests take time.
Antje
Thanks. Good to know. I did get AC1 test At my gynecologist office and it came back 10.4. But they didn’t send it to my GP. So I’ll carry my blood work it with me.

I am going to read the highlighted for others that you said. What to ask at the clinic I think will be especially helpful.

I really appreciate all the support that I have received from your members. This is all new to me and last night was a bit frightening

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
No type 1 is not confined to kids.

Essentially T1 is autoimmune where your own body attacks your pancreas.

T2 involves insulin resistance and over production of insulin which can eventually wear out your pancreas.

Those are real generalisations but sort of summaries it.

janinebul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No type 1 is not confined to kids.

Essentially T1 is autoimmune where your own body attacks your pancreas.

T2 involves insulin resistance and over production of insulin which can eventually wear out your pancreas.

Those are real generalisations but sort of summaries it.
Ohhhh.
I have autoimmune issues.

That doesn’t sound good