Newly diagnosed...please does anyone know if volvic sugar free flavoured water is okay to drink

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What do you drink?

water, sparkling water, coffee and te ,chai no sugar but lots of cinemon and milk... and water with a squeese of lemon ..... and stay in this forum it is really great to learn from all these experienced people in here , they are really very helpful ...

and a big welcome from me too <3:):):):):):):):):):)

Reactions: Petaluk and rom35

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Stress can raise glucose readings and if your eyesight is a bit blurry that could be due to high sugar levels. Don't rush to the opticians, they may well return to normal once you have got your readings down.

Reactions: Petaluk and rom35

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry about my panic ..I suffer from anxiety...I am still in shock at diagnosis and reality of lifestyle changes ahead...I’m also very cross that when I asked a blood nurse if I was diabetic he said you are borderline..but didn’t explain any further...so I’m stressed that if he had explained how crucial that is or just said google it.. I may not be full blown diabetic now..I didn’t realise how much sugar I was consuming..I used to eat a lot of low fat yogurts..which I now realise have 15g sugar a pot! My eyesight is bad and I never used to be able to read the labels when out shopping , thought oh they are healthy hmmph ( I do now - glasses with me all the time!) Just by cutting them out probably would have calmed my blood sugar down..but there you go..sorry if I’m grumpy x

Last edited:
Reactions: rom35

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Newly diagnosed...please does anyone know if volvic sugar free flavoured water is okay to drink as currently I drink about 3 litres a day...I’m concerned about the additives...potassium benzoate and acesulfame k and sucralose..thank you!
Sucralose does contain carbs: 0.9g carbs per 1.0 g sucralose. So not ideal given the amount of flavoured water you are drinking. Anything ending in "ose" contains carbs. You could perhaps make your own flavoured water using good old-fashioned saccharine and save yourself the carbs as well as a lot of money.

Reactions: rom35

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry about my panic ..I suffer from anxiety...I am still in shock at diagnosis and reality of lifestyle changes ahead...I’m also very cross that when I asked a blood nurse if I was diabetic he said you are borderline..but didn’t explain any further...so I’m stressed that if he had explained how crucial that is or just said google it.. I may not be full blown diabetic now..I didn’t realise how much sugar I was consuming..I used to eat a lot of low fat yogurts..which I now realise have 15g sugar a pot! My eyesight is bad and I never used to be able to read the labels when out shopping , thought or they are healthy humph ( I do now - glasses with me all the time!) Just by cutting them out probably would have calmed my blood sugar down..but there you go..sorry if I’m grumpy x

it is a gigantic shock, I was so terrified initially but thanks to this forum I feel okay and keep on trying to keep my nose in the track... to learn to cope maybe give yourself 1 day off in a month the first 2-3 month and remember to enjoy your special occation, but do be strickt so you do get your number down to normal, metformin only helps very little so don´t rely on metformin getting your numbers low enough, metformin is just a kind of stick to lean at but it really only does very little

Reactions: Petaluk

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sucralose does contain carbs: 0.9g carbs per 1.0 g sucralose. So not ideal given the amount of flavoured water you are drinking. Anything ending in "ose" contains carbs. You could perhaps make your own flavoured water using good old-fashioned saccharine and save yourself the carbs as well as a lot of money.

isn´t it only 0.09 gram of carbs.. I read somewhere there is around 9 calories in 100 grams of sucralose`?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
isn´t it only 0.09 gram of carbs.. I read somewhere there is around 9 calories in 100 grams of sucralose`?
The drinks the OP is referring to are between 0 - 0.5g carbs per 100ml depending on the flavour. The sucralose is last on the list of ingredients after 99.8% mineral water, so very little sucralose in it

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
0.0g and 0 %
Yes, but they are allowed to say 0 carbs if there are less than 1gram in the portion size they are quoting. Some sweeteners really are 0 carbs, but lots of others do contain carbs. Keep your glasses with you and read read read those labels! And watch out for portion sizes! The best IMO is to check grams of carb per 100g product. Then you can work out how much you actually consume.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The drinks the OP is referring to are between 0 - 0.5g carbs per 100ml depending on the flavour. The sucralose is last on the list of ingredients after 99.8% mineral water, so very little sucralose in it
Yes, but the OP is drinking litres of the stuff every day.

Reactions: Freema

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just by cutting them out probably would have calmed my blood sugar down
It's not too late. You are already learning and making changes. Just think how much you will know in a month's time, and how healthily you'll be living!

jay_london

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We are similar on HBA1C petal, I’m at 58. After 3 months, the MySugr app predicts 5.4, which translates to a non diabetic level.

You can do this

Reactions: Freema and DJC3

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry about my panic ..I suffer from anxiety...I am still in shock at diagnosis and reality of lifestyle changes ahead...I’m also very cross that when I asked a blood nurse if I was diabetic he said you are borderline..but didn’t explain any further...so I’m stressed that if he had explained how crucial that is or just said google it.. I may not be full blown diabetic now..I didn’t realise how much sugar I was consuming..I used to eat a lot of low fat yogurts..which I now realise have 15g sugar a pot! My eyesight is bad and I never used to be able to read the labels when out shopping , thought or they are healthy humph ( I do now - glasses with me all the time!) Just by cutting them out probably would have calmed my blood sugar down..but there you go..sorry if I’m grumpy x
My life is ruled more by my anxiety than by my diabetes, so I hope that tells you that it can actually be more managable than anxiety, which you already handle. If that makes any sense. Your eyesight is affected by the sugar in your eyes... It'll change when your bloodglucose goes doen, and it will. Don't get new perscription glasses in the meantime, they'll be useless a month from now. And guess what; it doesn't all have to happen and change overnight. Take time to learn, make mistakes, fix 'em, and take on a new way of caring for yourself. Low carb/high fat got me back down to the non-diabetic range, (and off the statins) after going undiagnosed for years in spite of fatty liver, PCOS, infections in my toes, fatigue and what have you. Still tired, but that's vitamin D deficiency; all the rest is doing a whole lot better! And I dropped 20 kilo's. So it does work, and it does make a difference. Only question is, how many carbs can you process? And you'll need a meter to find out, as it is rather personal.... Different for everyone. As for drinks, I tend to stick with herbal tea's, coke zero (as it doesn't seem to affect me, but I'm talking a single glass a day, tops), unsweetened coconut milk... There are zero carb options out there other than water. (You might want to ditch the porridge by the way.). Read, learn, and figure out what works for you. What makes you feel better physically & mentally. Being here, is a good place to start becoming healthier than you were. Good luck!

Reactions: Freema and Sam50

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The low fat versions of foods are not a good idea though - you need to reassess the advice given that everyone should be eating lots of carbs and very little fat - it hasn't worked very well at all and there are rather large question marks about it.
The tests I have had done seem to show that eating low carb and the natural fats which come along with meat and fish lower cholesterol, and give good ratios of the component parts.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We are similar on HBA1C petal, I’m at 58. After 3 months, the MySugr app predicts 5.4, which translates to a non diabetic level.

You can do this

You know you can change the unit of measurement of the HbA1c measurement in MySugr? (Go to profile & settings > checking blood sugar > A1c unit) then it’ll match your lab result, no need for conversion then!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Starting smoking is a terrible idea, whatever a person's health issue, it is made worse by smoking.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Petaluk and welcome to the forum. I’ve suffered from anxiety and depression several times over past years and getting a diagnosis of diabetes can be distressing even if you are on the level so it can hit you harder if you suffer from anxiety. I’m also sure that in my case stress didn’t help my blood sugars - even now when my bloods are well controlled stress can impact on my blood sugars making them go up. So it is really important to look at how you are handling your stress levels as well as looking at what you eat and drink. Like many of us eating the official low fat high carb way hasn’t done you any favours either so you need to look at lowering those carbs and upping your healthy fat consumption - a good place to start looking for ideas about what to eat and drink is
Www.dietdoctor.com
To manage my stress I do a mindfulness app called Headspace, do Pilates and long walks when I can these types of stress busting activities can help.
Find out as much as you can, read around the forum and ask for help and advice.

Reactions: Freema and Petaluk

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Newly diagnosed...please does anyone know if volvic sugar free flavoured water is okay to drink as currently I drink about 3 litres a day...I’m concerned about the additives...potassium benzoate and acesulfame k and sucralose..thank you!
Hi and welcome. I used to drink lots of flavoured water, mainly lemon & lime. However, I decided there were too many additives, so I now drink sparkling water, usually Buxton. It is a nice refreshing drink, and you can add real lemon or lime juice in small quantities if you want something tastier.

Reactions: Petaluk

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Petaluk and welcome to the forum. I’ve suffered from anxiety and depression several times over past years and getting a diagnosis of diabetes can be distressing even if you are on the level so it can hit you harder if you suffer from anxiety. I’m also sure that in my case stress didn’t help my blood sugars - even now when my bloods are well controlled stress can impact on my blood sugars making them go up. So it is really important to look at how you are handling your stress levels as well as looking at what you eat and drink. Like many of us eating the official low fat high carb way hasn’t done you any favours either so you need to look at lowering those carbs and upping your healthy fat consumption - a good place to start looking for ideas about what to eat and drink is
Www.dietdoctor.com
To manage my stress I do a mindfulness app called Headspace, do Pilates and long walks when I can these types of stress busting activities can help.
Find out as much as you can, read around the forum and ask for help and advice.
Thank you have downloaded the app :)