Newly diagnosed, some personal details, some questions.. and a hullo!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another question @Resurgam - when you say you're "in remission", does that mean that you have a diet and lifestyle which, while you maintain it, keeps your BS in range, but if you stopped maintaining it you'd be back to out of range BS again? I read stuff about people being cured of T2 but I don't know if that means they no longer have it, or that they have a lifestyle which means that their T2 has no ill effects.
This is my speculation: I think it is possible that some people's obesity/over weight has caused them to be insulin-resistant. If they drastically reduce the fat, especially internally, it may be that their insulin resistance is resolved and they no longer have high bg even if they eat a "normal" amount of carbs. HOWEVER if they eat too many calories of any description and regain the weight, the insulin resistance will come back.

I MO diabetic and pre-diabetic are not very useful terms to describe T2s. It seems to me that there are people who are insulin resistant and people who don't make enough insulin, and people who have both problems at once, in varying degrees. What matters is the level of bg in one's blood and what one has to do to keep it as near normal as possible.

Reactions: paulmh

paulmh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will never think of myself as ‘cured’ ‘in remission’ or ‘reversed’, my GP agrees that although my blood sugars and HbA1c are currently at non diabetic levels, I should be described as very well controlled. I believe that if I stop my meds and/or relax my diet, my sugars will rise again.

Thanks Rachox, I like the definition of "well controlled". It helps me to understand that there isn't a goal for me of achieving a certain state and I'll be free, but rather I have a daily standard to maintain to stay well. ANd thanks for not calling me a noob for asking!

paulmh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It wasn't something planned nor discussed with HCPs. I was diagnosed mid November 2016 and prescribed Metformin and a statin and was so ill physically and mentally that I went out and bought all the Christmas shopping twice - the second time I came out of the supermarket and could not find the car, so I wandered around looking for it, then when I found it I opened the back and it was already full up. I was severely shaken and stopped the tablets.
I spent all last year relearning the folk songs I have sung all my life. Fortunately I had agreed to send a written copy to the English folk dance and song society library in London and so I had that to refer to. The thought that I might have raised BG again and be pushed to take tablets really stops me from straying off plan, though I am delighted to find that what I can eat is really the sorts of foods I want to eat.

Are there side effects to Metformin in that regard? I'm not on statins yet and I'm trying to get the lifestyle in place to avoid it, but I have been concerned about a deterioration in my mental function. I should really read the leaflet in the Metformin box shouldn't I.....

paulmh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is my speculation: I think it is possible that some people's obesity/over weight has caused them to be insulin-resistant. If they drastically reduce the fat, especially internally, it may be that their insulin resistance is resolved and they no longer have high bg even if they eat a "normal" amount of carbs. HOWEVER if they eat too many calories of any description and regain the weight, the insulin resistance will come back.

This is where I got confused Alexandra. I don't have a huge amount of weight to lose, so wondered if people who were carrying a lot of timber could actually "get rid" of their T2 by losing that weight, whereas that wasn't going to be likely for me. It's not going to stop me from trying to get my BMI down to below 25 though.

Also @Alexandra I don't know what AF is?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thanks for not calling me a noob for asking!
I think anyone calling another "a noob for asking" on this Forum would be expelled instantly, or at least attract so much hate mail s/he would be obliged to leave!!! And quite right too! (IMHO)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is where I got confused Alexandra. I don't have a huge amount of weight to lose, so wondered if people who were carrying a lot of timber could actually "get rid" of their T2 by losing that weight, whereas that wasn't going to be likely for me. It's not going to stop me from trying to get my BMI down to below 25 though.
Yes, I've been down that path too, and have come to the same conclusion as you, given that my BMI is currently about 16! No Newcastle diet for me.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are there side effects to Metformin in that regard? I'm not on statins yet and I'm trying to get the lifestyle in place to avoid it, but I have been concerned about a deterioration in my mental function. I should really read the leaflet in the Metformin box shouldn't I.....
Some people hate Metformin and some do really well on it. I'd try it like a shot if anyone would prescribe it for me, though as it works mainly, I think, to reduce insulin resistance and I think my problem is insufficient insulin production, it might not help me. It is said (not just by the manufacturers) to be cardio protective, which I could do with. IMO whether to take statins is a much harder decision, given that at least some of them raise bg. I should think it would be a good idea to let things settle before starting any more drugs, or how will you know what is causing which side-effects or benefits?

L1ncslass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Paul, welcome to the forum, can I just clear up a mis-conception anything above 30g of carbs a day is not Low Carb, the national eat well plate recommends 150g [no wonder we are getting fatter as a nation!]

Anyway LC with intermittent fasting [I've started 18/6 only eating 6hr block in 24 hrs] is the best way to help T2 diabetes. I was diagnosed in Oct HbAc1 level of 84 [I think it's 50 today receptionist didn't know which figure to give me sigh]

I've been doing lots of research and found these videos interesting, knowledge is power

L1ncslass

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Also @Alexandra I don't know what AF is?

Although you might not have a lot of weight to lose, you can still have a lot of visceral fat around your liver & pancreas which is not good in terms of diabetes.
Good luck with your continued weight loss

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Paul, welcome to the forum, can I just clear up a mis-conception anything above 30g of carbs a day is not Low Carb, the national eat well plate recommends 150g [no wonder we are getting fatter as a nation!]
Hi Paul,
I think the information given by L1ncslass is a bit confusing (maybe just me!)
If you follow this link
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/low-carb-diabetes-diet.html
you will find the following information
  • Moderate carbohydrate: 130 to 225g of carbs
  • Low carbohydrate: under 130g of carbs
  • Very-low carbohydrate: under 30g of carbs
and lots and lots of information about the low carb diet.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started on Metformin on diagnosis and suffered an upset stomach for the first week but tolerate it well now. If you do suffer side effects you could be asked to be changed to the Slow Release version which is often better tolerated.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
anything above 30g of carbs a day is not Low Carb
Depends who you ask. Diabetes.co.uk offers this:

"What counts as low-carb?
Low-carb is a flexible way of eating that allows you as an individual to choose a level of carbohydrate that works well for your diabetes and lifestyle.

A research study in 2008 [7] used the following brackets to categorise daily carbohydrate intake:

• Moderate carbohydrate: 130 to 225g of carbs
  • Low carbohydrate: under 130g of carbs
  • Very-low carbohydrate: under 30g of carbs
Generally speaking, the lower your carbohydrate intake, the more likely you are to lose weight and the lower sugar levels you are likely to have.

It’s important you choose a level of carbohydrate that works well for you.

For example, people with type 1 diabetes that do not need to low weight may wish to aim for a low or moderate carbohydrate intake.

Someone with type 2 diabetes, or needs to lose weight, may wish to aim for a very-low carbohydrate (ketogenic) intake."

You can check out the article here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/low-carb-diabetes-diet.html

Dr Bernstein advises 30 grammes carb daily. I have the impression that many people here have set themselves goals of under 100 / under 50 / or even under 20. Many people, myself included, have found themselves GRADUALLY going lower and lower. There's no rush - we are in this for life.

paulmh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many thanks everyone for the input, sorry I drifted away without acknowledging! I did read and inwardly digest.

My HbA1c of 123 thirteen months ago is now 37. I’ve been off Metformin for four months and my HbA1c has continued to fall. Still got a BMI of more than 25 but have swapped a lot of fat for muscle (training every day) so have lost inches. Have monitored my carb intake and kept it around 100g a day, that seems to work, though I’d like to lose a bit more weight (5’11 and 84kg).

Diabetes gave me a right royal kick in the behind so I hope I can maintain these lifestyle changes which have brought me a lot of other benefits beyond improved blood chemistry. Many thanks to all who post here, it’s a great resource for those of us who are diagnosed, even if we’re on,y reading without posting.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many thanks everyone for the input, sorry I drifted away without acknowledging! I did read and inwardly digest.

My HbA1c of 123 thirteen months ago is now 37. I’ve been off Metformin for four months and my HbA1c has continued to fall. Still got a BMI of more than 25 but have swapped a lot of fat for muscle (training every day) so have lost inches. Have monitored my carb intake and kept it around 100g a day, that seems to work, though I’d like to lose a bit more weight (5’11 and 84kg).

Diabetes gave me a right royal kick in the behind so I hope I can maintain these lifestyle changes which have brought me a lot of other benefits beyond improved blood chemistry. Many thanks to all who post here, it’s a great resource for those of us who are diagnosed, even if we’re on,y reading without posting.
Well done! Could always try going Keto or doing some intermittent fasting for the last bit of weight, but from the sound of it... You're doing great already.

paulmh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done! Could always try going Keto or doing some intermittent fasting for the last bit of weight, but from the sound of it... You're doing great already.

Truth be told jo, I got down to 80kg but drifted back to 84 where I’ve been for months. This seems to be my maintenance weight!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Truth be told jo, I got down to 80kg but drifted back to 84 where I’ve been for months. This seems to be my maintenance weight!
I got stuck back at 85 after hitting 80, for about 6 months. Now with keto and IF I'm down to 75-and-a-bit/76-and-a-bit, though it's been a crawl and with every slip-up I seem to go straight up to 78 again, like my body seems to think I should really be bigger than I currently am. (Eat half a cookie on the weekend without breaking the 20 gram keto barrier? Paste a kilo back on! Dough *really* doesn't agree with me...!). But I should be around 65, 70 tops, with my length, if looking at bmi and dietician's guidelines and whatnot... I don't know if I'll ever get that far though, and honesyly, I seriously doubt it. But I'm happy just not to be 102+ anymore. Should I get stuck back at 80 or 85, that would still be okay with me, really. I just wanted to try and tackle my fatty liver if I could. (When fat is packed so densely they mistake it for cancer at first, it's pretty bad... So I wanted to give it a go.) If it works, fine. If it doesn't, I'm thrilled just to be keeping my HbA1c in line, which is what all this lifestyle-change stuff was kickstarted for to begin with anyway, for me. Whatever makes you happy is all good. And if that's a stable/steady 84, then yay for 84! (If I sounded pushy, I am sorry. Certainly didn't mean it that way!!!)

paulmh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the identification Jo! I’m all about the HbA1c too. The other stuff is “nice to have” in comparison. When I first came here I thought the key was going to be losing abdominal fat to give me any chance of achieving “remission” and I was concerned that I didn’t have a great deal to lose. I think it has turned out that the low carb diet has been key for me. My (HCP) wife thinks the amount of exercise I do has also been a crucial factor, in comparison to the driving/desk/sofa lifestyle I had before. As she is fond of telling me - “sitting is the new smoking”!

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
low mood and low energy levels. perhaps as a result of adopting a low carb diet,
Hi, When I went low carb, my 'low mood' and low energy levels actually improved a lot! I don;t go to the gym but I enjoy a walk in the sunshine/rain every day. As my weight dropped I felt so much better all round. Keep working at it, things do get better.