Non Diabetic A1C

Brendan_M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed at the end March 2019 with an A1C of 7.8% was put on Janumet 50/500mg twice a day. Found this site when researching the day after and immediately started lchf diet and started lifting weights 6 days a week. Before my diagnosis I had unintentionally lost 15lbs so went to the doctor to figure out what was going on. Ive since lost another 10lbs but now maintain 170lbs, BMI 23.7

Just had my first follow up with the endocrinologist and my A1C is now 5.2%! So glad I found this forum when I did, as my doctor was recommending a balanced diet with plenty of rice (I also have Celiac disease, so most whole grains are a no go anyways). The few times I have indulged in carbs it has sent my bg over 11 mmol/l. So can't imagine where I would be if I followed that advice.

So thank you all for the amazing advice and making this diagnosis much less scary

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
We have a winner! Well done and keep up the great work.

Aand remember, it is you that put the work in. :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very well done! Keep up the good work!

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi Brendan_M.
Congratulations on the first step, now all you have to do is keep it steady.
Like you I found this forum almost immediately after being diagnosed. it is literally a lifesaver!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was diagnosed at the end March 2019 with an A1C of 7.8% was put on Janumet 50/500mg twice a day. Found this site when researching the day after and immediately started lchf diet and started lifting weights 6 days a week. Before my diagnosis I had unintentionally lost 15lbs so went to the doctor to figure out what was going on. Ive since lost another 10lbs but now maintain 170lbs, BMI 23.7

Just had my first follow up with the endocrinologist and my A1C is now 5.2%! So glad I found this forum when I did, as my doctor was recommending a balanced diet with plenty of rice (I also have Celiac disease, so most whole grains are a no go anyways). The few times I have indulged in carbs it has sent my bg over 11 mmol/l. So can't imagine where I would be if I followed that advice.

I note you say you had unintentionally lost wight before diagnosis, and also you have coeliac - so you might want to keep a close eye on things, as unintentional weight loss can signify T1 instead of T2, also both coeliac and T1 are auto-immune related meaning that you should probably get checked for T1/LADA and definitely keep an eye on things especially if low carb starts to not keep your levels down.

Reactions: Rose22

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

So thank you all for the amazing advice and making this diagnosis much less scary
Excellent work, well done, and keep it up. :)

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrites, liars, donald trump (no capitals for emphasis)
Wish I had found this forum 12 years ago. Well done Brendan_M. Do keep a close eye on your condition, monitor your bg to make sure you are not another Type and stay LC.

Sangre

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes, very well done! I don’t know why doctors on both sides of the Atlantic continue to recommend diets with five or more servings of carbohydrates a day! It is so wrong for diabetics. Especially considering that you can get all the carbs you need in a day from nonstarchy veggies, not to mention a small serving of fruit. Keeping total carb count to less than 50mg a day can halt the progression of the disease and you will feel great! If my doctors had told me this nine years ago, I probably could’ve prevented full up diabetes. Such a very sad lack of knowledge and expertise on the part of the medical profession!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used 50gm a day as maximum and am now - officially - no longer diabetic in less than three years, all without any useful advice from HCPs.
I eat less than 40 gm of carbs a day now in the hope that my metabolism will recover from the dietary advice I have taken in the past - I can't give exact details of that as I took all the paperwork out into the garden and used it to light the barbecue. It was all low fat high carb low calorie.