Oh boy we're lucky in the UK

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just read this article (link below) about a young man in the USA who died because he couldn't afford his insulin. When I read it and heard of T1s who not only have to control their condition but also worry continually about funding their insulin, I just thought how lucky I am to live here. The NHS may be in trouble, but it's keeping us alive. Long may it last, and hopefully someone will do something about the ludicrous cost of insulin elsewhere in the world.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news..._item_id=099fb6e0-15d6-4815-9dfa-d94e55be42e4

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think in the states u have to be insured.
Btw i have an question.

In the UK, do u have to be on employed to access the nhs?

If you are not an employed, do u still have access to the NHS?

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think in the states u have to be insured.
Btw i have an question.

In the UK, do u have to be on employed to access the nhs?

If you are not an employed, do u still have access to the NHS?

If you can afford insurance in the USA! And you still have to contribute to insulin costs - a lot according to the article.

Whether or not you're employed you can access the NHS in the UK.

Reactions: 22nw22

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think it's something like 1 in 4 people worldwide ration their insulin. It's heartbreaking. I am so grateful for the NHS.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know we pull the NHS to bits on here regarding diet advice and prescribing what some deem to be unnecessary meds but we are so very very lucky to have a health service that is free to all at the point of delivery. I am very grateful that I have friends and family who wouldn’t be here today without them, and those that are no longer here how much the NHS fought to keep them here and ensured that when nothing more could be done they made their departure one of care and dignity

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We really have no idea how lucky we are - not only relating to insulin supplies, but just the plain old basics.

When we were selling up overseas, via friends, we knew a local woman who had had a fall, fracturing her pelvis. She couldn't afford surgery so was being treated by a form of binding, and no painkillers. The ex-pats were raiding the medicine cabinets to try to help the woman out. Awful beyond words.

The lady is OK and in time recovered, but simple things can become so very complicated without our NHS safety nets. We can experience enormous misfortune and not have to worry if we can afford to be kept alive.

david4503

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The situation with the cost of insulin in the U.S, is not good, no question. But the kinds of problems discussed in the WP article usually just affect very low-income people who can’t afford private insurance and don’t qualify for or can’t get Medicaid, which is paid for by the government. This man’s situation puzzles me:

“His mother helped him look for a health plan on the marketplace set up by the Affordable Care Act, but his options were expensive. To keep going to the same doctors, she says, he was looking at paying about $450 monthly, in addition to a high deductible of more than $7,000, which would mean months of paying out-of-pocket for most of his medical care. He opted to go without insurance, forgoing that expense to focus on paying for his insulin and supplies until he could find a better option.”

First of all, the high deductible doesn’t apply to insulin or any other covered prescription drug. The $450 he could have paid would have gotten him all the insulin he needed after satisfying a low prescription deductible and paying a modest co-pay when filling the prescription. Buying the insulin out of pocket OTOH would cost much, much more than being insured. Rapid-acting is priced about $300 where I am and discount plans won’t save you much. I know all this because I was on a similar kind of ACA plan for a few years.

So, as written, there seem to be some holes in this story. But there’s no avoiding the fact that the cost of insulin here is out of control, whoever is paying the bill. Congress looks like it’s finally going to address this problem more aggressively but it’s not a done deal yet. But yes, socialized medicine has its advantages, particularly with diabetes.

Last edited:

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
There is a new film on Netflix with the lead actress a type 1 diabetic who can't afford insulin in the US. The issue seems to be she only has a supply on particular set dates, and if she runs out she would have to pay. She was stuck for 4 days without any insulin as she did not have the $500. Purple Hearts.

Last edited:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
There is a new film on Netflix with the lead actress a type 1 diabetic who can't afford insulin in the US. Purple Hearts.

My problem with films featuring T1s is that they are usually very inaccurate. (ConAir anyone?)

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
My problem with films featuring T1s is that they are usually very inaccurate. (ConAir anyone?)
ConAir was 1997. I think writers and publishers are more beholden to their reviews these days so have a bigger emphasis on fact checking.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
This article was from 2019. I remember it didn't make sense when I read it back then. For one why did he not buy the $25 insulin available. But 91.4 % of Americans have insurance. Insulin is now capped federally at $35 with insurance and some states do $25. You just have to stay on your insurances formulary list but most have all the common ones. The 8.6% uninsured can fall into a loophole it they make too much or work for a company that doesn't provide it, Then you have to shop for a costlier plan. But the 8.6 % also includes the people who didn't have insurance for just a few months of the year. Also illegal immigrants are part of that 8.6% and we have a huge amount here. (15 million plus and climbing fast).

There are ways to get cheap or free insulin if you don't have insurance. There are lists of organizations that help with getting insulin, there are also free clinics, endos give out samples or to those in need. If you mention a need on a US type 1 site, there are always people that will help. I used to belong to a large type 1 group and we had a table we would set extra supplies and insulin for whoever needed it to take. Most companies now have $99 coupons for their insulin if you don't use insurance or one has a generic at that price. I have a feeling most type 1's seek a job with benefits. It's a high on the list type thing. You don't have to have a specialized skill to work at companies that offer insurance. You just have to work at a company that does.

There has always been the option of $25 NPH fast acting or long acting or a combo insulin available at Walmart, no prescription needed and it has been that way since the 80's. It's just not the hybrid ones that people prefer. But it will keep you alive.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@ert I would say film producers do less fact checking now. They play to getting the most notice to get viewership which is critical. So much is not accurate now. If they are an actor/actress in the US and they work in the industry they most likely belong to the union, which has insurance they can get.

Under insurance your doctor will write a script for how much you need each month. If you need more you contact the doctor to rewrite the script. A lot of pharmacists will hand over an emergency supply early if they know you have a script. Plus you can always get the $25 insulin available to all.

Plus doctors are very generous with the amounts they write, so you don't run out. And everyone I know has a back up stash of 1-6 months in case anything goes wrong.

Last edited:

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
There are a lot of myths surrounding the US health care system. The problem that I have with the Washington Post article is that it reeks of sensationalism. Healthcare is NEVER free, somebody has to pay for it, even here in Canada.

A major problem with US healthcare is that it is horribly expensive, but that is significantly due to the litigiousness of American society.

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
somebody has to pay for
In the UK we pay by having National Insurance deducted each month from our salaries.
due to the litigiousness of American society.
Some people also sue the NHS. I haven't sued, but when my husband ended up with permanent brain damage because of a mistake by NHS staff, I could have done. However, I was thinking that any compensation could not improve his brain but would mean less money for treating other people. But during the 20 plus years that I was the sole carer for my husband (then disabled), I was exhausted and could have done with money to pay for help.

NHS is good in emergency, and also in paying for medication for chronic conditions, such as insulin. However, people often suffer in pain while waiting for operation, often for years. There is room for improvement.

Last edited:
Reactions: hh1

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Income derived from National Insurance does not go near covering the cost of the health service in the UK, let alone the other state pensions and benefits.

The health service is funded out of general taxation, supplemented by the NI proportion, and some patient charges (mainly prescriptions and dental charges). The estimated cost for 2021/22 is £190.3 billion.
https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/projects/nhs-in-a-nutshell/nhs-budget#:~:text=Planned spending for the Department,for spending on health services.

The highest proportion (about half) of the cost of the NHS is the wages of those people who work in it.

Last edited:

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nice to hear how happy some people are with the NHS, I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised how good the health system is here in France, so now I consider the treatment I got in the UK poor

Reactions: Speedbird

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice to hear how happy some people are with the NHS, I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised how good the health system is here in France, so now I consider the treatment I got in the UK poor

Trust me, I believe the NHS is significantly flawed, some areas poor, and that it wastes massive amounts of money, but we need never be lying after an accident bleeding or broken, working out how we pay for treatment.

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I should think it is a bit of a worry when the start of this thread talks about how bad it is in America and the UK goverment wants to bring in American health companies into the NHS, is it good or bad I don't know

chrisy62

Type of diabetes
LADA
How worrying it would be if you needed treatment and taken to one hospital only to be told your insurance doesn’t cover you here, and your sent to another one miles away, knowing you could die on the way. NHS no matter where you are in the UK a hospital will see and treat you. Everyone seems to run the NHS down but we would be lost without it. Flaws or no flaws long live the NHS for all our sakes. In 2004 we were in the tsunami and my medication was lost to find a dr in SriLanka was hard enough and to get medication even harder, the SriLankans who helped us were above and beyond helpful in giving us food and shelter, they concocted as mixture up for me which they take as a natural insulin. Thankfully it worked until we were rescued by the Indian Army who got us to safety, where our Government did nothing for us in getting us home it was the American Airlines and they had insulin free for me. And medical help for my husband who was very badly hurt.