Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
25 July 2021

11 weeks.

80.9kg
Weight loss this week.7kg (8kg since starting).

Fasting BG 7 day average 5.3
14 day average 5.1
30 day average 5.0

Macros Weekly Average

Carbs 100.2g
Fats 42.6g
Protein 163.4g
PR Ratio 1.14
Calories 1588

Body contour scales
Body fat lower at 26.% (starting 29.8%) Has been as low as 24.8 but fluctuates
Muscle up 38% (starting 35.9%)
Hip to Weight Ratio 1: 1

Weight loss every week of the eleven weeks of the diet. Improvements in Body Fat, Muscle and waist 3.5 inches. Have enjoyed a much higher carb intake but at around 100g still low carb but much more freedom in the diet. Energy levels have been great and no hunger to speak of. Very happy with the PE Diet in weight-loss mode which is very much a low calorie diet. More conscious of some muscle building exercise probably highlighted by the use of the body contour scales so have added daily exercise at home.

Reactions: Speedbird and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really well done @muzza3 Those averages are very impressive, particularly the excellent fbg when you are eating around 100g carbs. What was your usual carb intake before starting the PE diet? Did your BG levels rise initially?

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Really well done @muzza3 Those averages are very impressive, particularly the excellent fbg when you are eating around 100g carbs. What was your usual carb intake before starting the PE diet? Did your BG levels rise initially?

Thanks DJJ3

Before the PE Diet I was low carbing typically around 30g a day. I saw no increase in FBG in the first few weeks and a drop from mid 5's to 5's after around 3 to 4 weeks. That 100g a day average was mainly the last week with a couple of high carb meals. Generally around 70-80g. Its quite striking a difference it gives you with meal options going from very low carbs to low carbs and I don't really have a max carb number in mind but still avoid the high carb foods. Its usually controlled by keeping a positive PE ratio.

It would be interesting to see how someone with higher BG levels 6-7 would go with this diet over 4-5 weeks

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
August 20215 July 2021

12 weeks.

80.9kg
No Change this week. Lost 8kg since start.

Fasting BG 7 day average 5.0
14 day average 5.2
30 day average 5.0

Macros Weekly Average

Carbs 77g
Fats 45g
Protein 147g
PR Ratio 1.2
Calories 1622

Body contour scales
Body fat stable at 26.% (starting 29.8%)
Muscle stable 38% (starting 35.9%)
Hip 100cm
Waist 99cm
Hip to Waist ratio .99

!2 weeks in and first week with no weight loss. Had a fairly undisciplined week with diet and exercise and looking to realign protein level to goal weight and to try to hit that protein goal daily. Weight goal is now 165lb which equates to 165g of protein each week and a positive PE Ratio of over 1. Having added waist and hip measurements to weekly update will be able to measure that weekly. Suffice to say actually moved in another belt notch this week. Contour Scales particularly with Muscle which seems to directly reflect Hydration still trending well but weekly trend seems to be the best gauge. Have noticed an improvement in overall energy and coping improvement over the last three weeks in particular.

Reactions: DJC3 and Speedbird

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
8 August 2021

13 weeks.

81.2kg
Plus .3kg this week. Lost 7.7 since start.

Fasting BG 7 day average 4.5
14 day average 4.8
30 day average 5.0

Macros Weekly Average

Carbs 74g
Fats 49g
Protein 165g
PR Ratio 1.34
Calories 1545

Body contour scales
Hip 99cm (Started measuring 1/8/21 @100cm)
Waist 97cm (started measuring 1/8/21 @99cm)
Hip to Waist ratio .98

!3 weeks in and first week with slight weight increase .3kg. Had a disciplined week with hitting Protein level with and average of 165g. Not too concerned with Carb and Fats levels other than keeping them below Protein and a positive PE Ratio of over 1. Having added waist and hip measurements to weekly update shows some loss but will be interested with trend as more weeks elapse and there is likely some inconsistency with measurements. Had the need this week to replace clothes as some have become too large. Still inconsistency with Contour Scales with body fat as low as 24.8 and muscle as high as 38.2. While not the reason for this diet FBG are still trending down which makes me even more comfortable with this diet with Carbs still quite low on average (still avoid bread and sugar and pasta but do have the occasional cup of rice). Very Happy with PE Ratio Diet

Reactions: DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@muzza3 great stuff!

Hope things are also going well for you @DJC3 and @Krystyna23040

Have been a bit absent from the forum for a few weeks, and also a bit absent from the PE way of eating. Took some measurements on the 1st August to set another baseline - luckily not too much damage done - and am now back at it with renewed vigour. Still following broad principles rather than tracking, but just for fun, am doing the odd spot check. Seems a ratio of 2.1 hits a sweet spot for me in terms of satiety (enough fat) and sticking to plan. This was yesterday’s OMAD (large early lunch and wasn’t hungry again), with a PE ratio of 1.2

FC39BD3D-AD36-4DA1-8B7D-7C0CA61B7877.jpeg

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@muzza3 great stuff!

Have been a bit absent from the forum for a few weeks, and also a bit absent from the PE way of eating. Took some measurements on the 1st August to set another baseline - luckily not too much damage done - and am now back at it with renewed vigour. Still following broad principles rather than tracking, but just for fun, am doing the odd spot check. Seems a ratio of 2.1 hits a sweet spot for me in terms of satiety (enough fat) and sticking to plan. This was yesterday’s OMAD (large early lunch and wasn’t hungry again), with a PE ratio of 1.2

View attachment 50764
OK I give up... apart from the egg obviously.... whassthat?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK I give up... apart from the egg obviously.... whassthat?

Does it look that bad?! Tasted pretty good :D

Home made burgers (15% mince), thick cut back bacon, a few fried onions and a smidge of grated grana padano.

Reactions: LaoDan

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@muzza3 great stuff!

View attachment 50764
@Goonergal your lunch looks delicious.

The P.E. Diet is proving to be even better than I thought it would be. I have been doing exactly what you are doing - following the broad principles but not tracking.

My huge worry was that my weight would keep dropping when I got to ideal weight (which I am now) and I would start looking too skinny and haggard but this has not happened. I am still losing weight - but really slowly now and am building muscles so don't look too thin or haggard.

Blood sugars are really good and as I continue with the P.E. Diet my goal is to get rid of the remaining visceral fat (which I suspect is still lurking around liver and pancreas) and to continue building muscles so that my blood sugars are even better than they are now.

After 4 months on the PE diet it is amazing just how much my muscles have got stronger. Yesterday I did a power walk and I was amazed at how strong my glutes were compared to April when I started prioritising protein.

Reactions: DJC3 and Mbaker

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
15 August 2021

14 weeks.

80.4kg
Lost .8kg this week. Lost 8.5 since start of PE Diet.

Fasting BG 7 day average 4.6
14 day average 4.6
30 day average 4.9

Macros Weekly Average

Carbs 84g
Fats 44g
Protein 158g
PR Ratio 1.23
Calories 1523

Body contour scales
Hip 97cm (Started measuring 1/8/21 @100cm)
Hip to Waist ratio 1

!4 weeks in happy to lose nearly a kilo this week. Protein level a little low at 158g (target 165g) but was thrown out with one day at 102g when I had the packet of chips blowout so needed to keep total calories down.,A positive PE Ratio of over 1.23. decrease in hip of 1 cm with no change to waist lifted ratio to 1:1 needs to be around .9. FBG are still trending down slightly. Getting close to my my next weight goal of breaking 80kg and when achieved will reset to the top end of normal BMI. I have found this diet to be a great fit for me and now over three months in have got into a pattern of eating that is both satisfying and producing weight loss results. Need to buy a new belt when lock down ends as I have run out of holes

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
15 August 2021

14 weeks.

80.4kg
Lost .8kg this week. Lost 8.5 since start of PE Diet.

14 day average 4.6
30 day average 4.9

Macros Weekly Average

Carbs 84g
Fats 44g
Protein 158g
PR Ratio 1.23
Calories 1523

Body contour scales
Hip 97cm (Started measuring 1/8/21 @100cm)
Hip to Waist ratio 1

!4 weeks in happy to lose nearly a kilo this week. Protein level a little low at 158g (target 165g) but was thrown out with one day at 102g when I had the packet of chips blowout so needed to keep total calories down.,A positive PE Ratio of over 1.23. decrease in hip of 1 cm with no change to waist lifted ratio to 1:1 needs to be around .9. FBG are still trending down slightly. Getting close to my my next weight goal of breaking 80kg and when achieved will reset to the top end of normal BMI. I have found this diet to be a great fit for me and now over three months in have got into a pattern of eating that is both satisfying and producing weight loss results. Need to buy a new belt when lock down ends as I have run out of holes
Fantatsic progress @muzza3. I am hugely attracted to this WOE and trying my hardest to adapt. Puffing and wheezing along way behind you guys and gals. Still, much as I loved the ho, ho, ho lympics I am not stupid enough to believe I could reach those levels nor ever need to. Pace kills, not distance. Stately park run jog for me. Good on ya for that progress.

Last edited:
Reactions: muzza3

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fantatsic progress @muzza3. I am hugely attracted to this WOE and trying my hardest to adapt. Puffing and wheezing along way behind you guys and gals. Still, much as I loved the ho, ho, ho lympics I am not stupid enough to believe I could reach those levels nor ever need to. Pace kills, not distance. Stately park run jog for me. Good on ya for that progress.

Thanks @ianpspurs
From a fair distance away (downunder) it looks to me like you have all your stuff together. You have a BMI I would kill for, Your BG levels are in great nick so I would think you have found a great way of eating already. All these things I aspire to (and hopefully will achieve). The search for a way of eating that is sustainable and works for the individual is one that is is constantly referred to by many on here. If I have learnt anything there is no best way for everyone. I think Type 2 Master is a well deserved mantle for you.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @ianpspurs
From a fair distance away (downunder) it looks to me like you have all your stuff together. You have a BMI I would kill for, Your BG levels are in great nick so I would think you have found a great way of eating already. All these things I aspire to (and hopefully will achieve). The search for a way of eating that is sustainable and works for the individual is one that is is constantly referred to by many on here. If I have learnt anything there is no best way for everyone. I think Type 2 Master is a well deserved mantle for you.
Thanks @muzza3 you are far too kind. I genuinely don't feel confident in managing my own T2 but your point about this journey with T2 being totally N=1 is the one thing I have learned. No idea if you are a cricket fan but I am and loved batting. Over 50 years I developed a way to bat that specifically suited me and my strengths/weaknesses. Not textbook but it worked for me - think Steve Smith. As with that, this has taken time and work and I'm always questioning and seeking for better. You are on your own unique journey and have already made amazing progress. Peace be with you.

Last edited:

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks @muzza3 you are far too kind. I genuinely don't feel confident in managing my own T2 but your point about this journey with T2 being totally N=1 is the one thing I have learned. No idea if you are a cricket fan but I am and loved batting. Over 50 years I developed a way to bat that specifically suited me and my strengths/weaknesses. Not textbook but it worked for me - think Steve Smith. As with that, this has taken time and work and I'm always questioning and seeking for better. You are on your own unique journey and have already made amazing progress. Peace be with you.

Love my cricket. Unfortunately I was most like your Tuffers except I couldn't spin the ball! Ashes looking dodgy out here this year.

Reactions: ianpspurs

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
22 August 2021

15 weeks.

79.3.4kg
Lost 1.1kg this week. Lost 9.6kg since start of PE Diet.

14 day average 4.5
30 day average 4.7

Macros Weekly Average

Carbs 86g
Fats 49g
Protein 162g
PR Ratio 1.2
Calories 1519

Body contour scales
Body fat down at 25% (starting 29.8%)
Muscle up 38.7% (starting 35.9%)
Hip 95cm (Started measuring 1/8/21 @100cm)
Waist 94cm (started measuring 1/8/21 @99cm)
Hip to Waist ratio .99 (was 1)
BMI 26.5

!5 weeks in happy to lose over a a kilo this week. Hit my short-term goal of breaking 80 kg. It took 9 weeks on this diet to lose that last 5kg. my new goal now is 74.8kg (top of normal BMI range). Great result in a stressful week but was my most interesting week with carbs having included white rice, pasta and toast in different days during the week for the first time this year while still maintaining a positive PE Ratio with the highest daily carbs being 137g and no negative impact on FBG. Would be fascinated to see how this diet would impact someone with higher BG levels.

Taken a couple of days off on daily update but will resume tomorrow. Had a few days of the black dog biting at my heels but back on board now. Feel the energy levels of the diet and improved fitness have me dealing much better with my depression when it surfaces.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Something really interesting has happened since starting the P.E. Diet on 1st April.

Since a teenager I have had really severe leg cramps. These got worse as I got older. They are agonisingly painful and can only be stopped by having some salt.

At the beginning of July I noticed that I wasn't having so many episodes. Sometime during August they completely disappeared.

The only thing I changed since 1st April was to increase protein significantly which has resulted in a huge increase in muscle strength. I work very hard at strengthening muscles as I am a pilates teacher but in the past, because of my low protein intake, it hadn't resulted in increased muscle strength.

I can only think that the cramps were a result of the low protein intake although it isn't listed as a cause of muscle cramp. I am so happy that they are no more.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Something really interesting has happened since starting the P.E. Diet on 1st April.

Since a teenager I have had really severe leg cramps. These got worse as I got older. They are agonisingly painful and can only be stopped by having some salt.

At the beginning of July I noticed that I wasn't having so many episodes. Sometime during August they completely disappeared.

The only thing I changed since 1st April was to increase protein significantly which has resulted in a huge increase in muscle strength. I work very hard at strengthening muscles as I am a pilates teacher but in the past, because of my low protein intake, it hadn't resulted in increased muscle strength.

I can only think that the cramps were a result of the low protein intake although it isn't listed as a cause of muscle cramp. I am so happy that they are no more.
Merton's unexpected benefits - :woot: Couldn't have happened to a more deserving person.

Last edited:
M

Member496333

To use protein for fuel it first has to be converted into glucose. Not saying that’s good or bad but I think many people with heavy insulin resistance will not find this optimal. Particularly if they currently use a keto diet to control diabetes. A high protein diet can be argued as a high glucose diet. Probably a good plan for people without metabolic damage or maybe even for those who have reversed it, but for the latter group I would want to be measuring for elevated insulin in the medium and longer term.