1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

P:E dieting

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by bulkbiker, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Master

Definitely. Fish, chicken, cheese, Greek yoghurt all have a lot of protein, as do eggs. Harder to get it from plant based sources, but not impossible. Think @Krystyna23040 would be better placed to advise than me as I’m heavily red meat based.

Bit of a matter of opinion. This is a decent guide: https://www.dietdoctor.com/food-policy/protein and based on the weight you gave, a rule of thumb would be anywhere between 109g and 180g a day.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Master

Thanks @Goonergal. I can happily eat fish - well salmon and sashimi, lamb shoulder if I have to but not on their own

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #242 ianpspurs, Dec 31, 2021 at 2:08 PM
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
  3. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Master

Split into more than one meal, there’d be room for other ‘stuff’ on the plate or on a different plate. Green things do sometimes make an appearance on mine :hilarious:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  4. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Phenomenal, your journey is a superb template for how to find your level. What if you just dogmatically stuck at 20 g? It is likely a combination of things you are doing, like a multiple revenue stream company. Love this.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  5. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Master

Thanks. This is absolutely N=1. I have read lots by Naiman and intellectually I nod happily. I just can't physically do it. Some kind of mental block I guess. I can happily eat cold - previously cooked, obviously- meat as a snack. Meat or fish on their own is a step too far.

#245 ianpspurs, Dec 31, 2021 at 2:29 PM
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
  6. Krystyna23040

Krystyna23040 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

@lucylocket61 I don't eat very much red meat at all but as @Goonergal posted - eggs, cheese, fish, chicken and Greek yoghurt all do have plenty of protein.

Like @ianpspurs I just cannot eat a plate full of protein so do supplement with about 30g of whey, pumpkin seed, chia seed or rice protein powders a day.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. Krystyna23040

Yes, l agree that it is a combination of things I am doing and I will still definitely do 20g days as it has been a vital component of going into 'remission ' but it is so lovely to be able to do 30g days also.

• Like Like x 1
  8. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

Well, I have worked out that I am only eating around 50g of protein a day. Is that bad?

9. Krystyna23040

@lucylocket61 I was eating between 40g and 50g of protein a day but am so much better on double that, or even up to 130g a day when I have a very active day. Have definitely built lean muscle mass on higher protein levels.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. andre53

andre53 · Active Member

I cannot state that tomorrow the P:E diet will begin, but I certainly this relationship will be considered in my 60-day challenge period which will begin tomorrow (jan, 17, 2022).

I will consider three basic guidelines:
    1. To keep my anxiety under control
    2. To keep under caloric deficit
    3. To keep a K/AK above 1.5(*) or a P:E above 1.1
    Theese items are presented hierachically, i.e., 1 is more important than 2 and 2 is more important than 3

Guideline 3 will operate in the following manner: depending on my anxiety, my psycological hungry, I will keep the K/AK compliant, otherwise I will be P:E compliant, because P:E gives me more satiety.

(*) For the ones who are unfamiliar with the K/AK factor:
    it can be accepted as a ketogenic meal some event which is compliant with the following formula:
    K/AK = (0.8*F + 0.46*P) / (1.0*C + 0.1*F + 0.58*P)
    P: protein; F: total fats; and C: carbohydrate
    To keep a ketogenic meal we need to keep a K/AK ratio greater than 1.50
    This formula is cited on [1, p. 52] from [2]
    Compared to the 4:1 original concept of the ketogenic diet, this formula is easier to be followed.

[1] Lyle Mcdonald. The Ketogenic Diet: a complete guide for the dieter and practicioner. Austin: e-book, 1998.
    [2] Withrow CD. The ketogenic diet: mechanism of anticonvulsant action. Adv Neurol
    (1980) 7: 635-642

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook