PR SUCCESSES - GETTING THE WORD OUT THAT LCHF IS THE BEST DIET TO HELP TREAT TYPE 2 DIABETES

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done. I like the title of this thread as it is accurate and you are a touch bearer.

Whilst other methods exist, these can be evaluated in other threads I feel and the merits or otherwise discussed. I find some of the comments to be expected, but the truth is obvious and undeniable. It is just a fact that if most try your method of eating good things happen mainly.

As Dr Unwin say the Libre tells the story about glucose control

View attachment 35812

View attachment 35814
Yes other methods can work, for example my sister had bariatric surgery and her t2d disappeared practically overnight. Still.gone 10 years later and yes she can eat lots if carbs, no effect on bs. VLCD can work in the short term. Lchf can be a long time solution to controlling blood sugars, it certainly is for me. The libre is amazing. Game changer. Baffles me why blood glucose monitors discouraged.

Thanks for the positive post.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done. I like the title of this thread as it is accurate and you are a touch bearer.

Whilst other methods exist, these can be evaluated in other threads I feel and the merits or otherwise discussed. I find some of the comments to be expected, but the truth is obvious and undeniable. It is just a fact that if most try your method of eating good things happen mainly.

As Dr Unwin say the Libre tells the story about glucose control

View attachment 35812

View attachment 35814
Great libre numbers btw! Stunning!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Great libre numbers btw! Stunning!
Thanks but I am "weird" as I always get good results on the Libre, A1CNOW and any blood glucose, but my hospital HbA1c does not align, although Medichecks private test on a different assay is 35.5. I do the Libre mainly to check spikes.

Reactions: jjraak

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks but I am "weird" as I always get good results on the Libre, A1CNOW and any blood glucose, but my hospital HbA1c does not align, although Medichecks private test on a different assay is 35.5. I do the Libre mainly to check spikes.
It's frustrating isnt it. My a1c now home test always differs. GP surgery test is higher.

Reactions: jjraak

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am under the impression VLCD is for between 8 and 12 weeks.
Thanks
It looked as if you were claiming that the effects of VLCD in lowering blood glucose to below diabetes levels are short term. Which is very different to my experience.
The very low calorie phase is, indeed short term, but that is just the first part of the process.

Reactions: Debandez

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks
It looked as if you were claiming that the effects of VLCD in lowering blood glucose to below diabetes levels are short term. Which is very different to my experience.
The very low calorie phase is, indeed short term, but that is just the first part of the process.
Am I right I presuming after the VLCD phase lchf is the go to woe? Cant see anything else keeping bs low. Apart from bariatric surgery.

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
VLCD can work in the short term.
I am under the impression VLCD is for between 8 and 12 weeks.
Thanks
Am I right I presuming after the VLCD phase lchf is the go to woe? Cant see anything else keeping bs low. Apart from bariatric surgery.
From what I’ve understood with my own research is the VLCD period is short, 8-12 weeks. Then after your body has kinda reset. The blood glucose control gained in the starting phase probably won’t last that long if you start eating carbs, sweets and chocolates etc daily. Eating LCHF/Keto/carnivore or any other sensible diabetic diet after will prolong the period you can remain in remission (Probably different for everyone). What I have found with the VLCD is that my ability to manage even high levels of carbs as a once a week treat is much improved.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
From what I’ve understood with my own research is the VLCD period is short, 8-12 weeks. Then after your body has kinda reset. The blood glucose control gained in the starting phase probably won’t last that long if you start eating carbs, sweets and chocolates etc daily. Eating LCHF/Keto/carnivore or any other sensible diabetic diet after will prolong the period you can remain in remission (Probably different for everyone). What I have found with the VLCD is that my ability to manage even high levels of carbs as a once a week treat is much improved.
Thank you

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

There is info in here, @Debandez
https://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal/

If you want anecdotal info, then my experience has been that for about 3 years after completing ND I was able to eat anything at all, and remain below diabetes BG levels. I was, however, inactive and had two major surgeries, and dependent on hospital food, (high carbs considered by the powers that be to be healthy) and others cooking for me, and I regained around 20kg of the 49kg lost. Since I discovered Low Carb about 4 years ago, have maintained weight, and can't seem to lose any. Blood glucose levels had remained stable until this last year when I have needed more steroid meds than usual for other health conditions. Currently I have just started to see levels falling again 4 months after raise through steroid meds.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So today I would like to share some exciting news.

I have been invited to speak at a health and wellbeing event put on by Merlin for its employees and also the public.

It's at Blackpool Tower Ballroom no less. Monday 25th November. I obviously said yes. I say yes to anything as you know! But how special is this one!

I knew I wouldn't get there for me dancing skills!!!

My beloved home town

I've had a promotion and will be known as a keynote speaker! (Never in my wildest dreams would I have said I would have had the guts for this but my passion is overtaking my nerves and beating them out of the way). If it helps one diabetic, one person battling their weight, or turns any light on regarding looking after the most precious gift of health then I'm very happy to help and do my bit. And I know I am the voice of so many on here.

I can also now say 'as seen on TV'!!

I will be there all day and at some point giving a 30 minute talk! Ideas on that are as follows:

Obviously my journey with diabetes. From prior to dx to date and what I am hoping for in the future as a diabetic.
My lifestyle
Insulin resistance
Weight gain
Teaspoon of sugar demo
My diagnosis
How I felt
Advice I was given
Medication, my thoughts on it and reasons for not wanting to go down that road
Google and finding a way to reverse t2d
Lchf and keto explained (in a nutshell)
Good swaps
Handout for a low carb shopping list ***please throw ideas at me all you low carbers!!***
What it can be helpful for (so many health issues)
Other options VLCD and bariatric surgery eg
Blood sugar monitoring including libre demo
Going to do similar experiment to dr unwin where he ate a banana and it showed a spike
Touch on IF very briefly
Mindfulness as stress can put bs up

That sort of thing.

Plus hubby has agreed to be a prop as well as PA! Exhibit A = non diabetic who has lost 20lbs himself making small changes

PowerPoint presentation hopefully.

Please feel free to spread the word. Every little helps I always say, this may only be to a few people (whoever's wanders in in the day) but ripples can reach far and wide. Hubby will be filming and I will subsequently be posting on all my social media platforms.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190920-104352_Yahoo Mail_resized.jpg
    Screenshot_20190920-104352_Yahoo Mail_resized.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 314
Reactions: Speedbird

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Since my appearance on This Morning my social media platforms have been manic. Twitter has been especially busy. In a very positive way. I've answered all tweets and PMs.

Today I was invited to talk about my journey in Liverpool, one of my absolute favourite places. To a low carb group in a gp surgery. Obviously I said yes. I love to share my journey to help others. Always adding that I am the voice of many! Putting t2d into remission the lchf way. It's what works for me so well. So I'm spreading my tiny wings and taking the 'show' on the road. It's not too far to travel and I'm looking forward to learning from the low carb group as they hopefully will from me.

I would like to visit more surgeries and get our message into primary care much more than it is. Fingers crossed this is the start of something big.

So today I agreed to the talk and within an hour they had sent me a poster, and I hadn't even sent them any photos, it was all done by magic!!! Here is their Tweet:

So Excited to announce Our First Low Carb Peer Run Support Group Event, Guest Speaker The Amazing Debra Scott! She will share her T2 Diabetes diagnosis and what she did to put it into remission. Event will take place on Thursday 31st October (details on poster) https://t.co/Zzdv1gCKj8

Attachments

• IMG_20190925_000603.jpg
    IMG_20190925_000603.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 338
Reactions: Speedbird

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So today I would like to share some exciting news.

I have been invited to speak at a health and wellbeing event put on by Merlin for its employees and also the public.

It's at Blackpool Tower Ballroom no less. Monday 25th November. I obviously said yes. I say yes to anything as you know! But how special is this one!

I knew I wouldn't get there for me dancing skills!!!

My beloved home town

I've had a promotion and will be known as a keynote speaker! (Never in my wildest dreams would I have said I would have had the guts for this but my passion is overtaking my nerves and beating them out of the way). If it helps one diabetic, one person battling their weight, or turns any light on regarding looking after the most precious gift of health then I'm very happy to help and do my bit. And I know I am the voice of so many on here.

I can also now say 'as seen on TV'!!

I will be there all day and at some point giving a 30 minute talk! Ideas on that are as follows:

Obviously my journey with diabetes. From prior to dx to date and what I am hoping for in the future as a diabetic.
My lifestyle
Insulin resistance
Weight gain
Teaspoon of sugar demo
My diagnosis
How I felt
Advice I was given
Medication, my thoughts on it and reasons for not wanting to go down that road
Google and finding a way to reverse t2d
Lchf and keto explained (in a nutshell)
Good swaps
Handout for a low carb shopping list ***please throw ideas at me all you low carbers!!***
What it can be helpful for (so many health issues)
Other options VLCD and bariatric surgery eg
Blood sugar monitoring including libre demo
Going to do similar experiment to dr unwin where he ate a banana and it showed a spike
Touch on IF very briefly
Mindfulness as stress can put bs up

That sort of thing.

Plus hubby has agreed to be a prop as well as PA! Exhibit A = non diabetic who has lost 20lbs himself making small changes

PowerPoint presentation hopefully.

Please feel free to spread the word. Every little helps I always say, this may only be to a few people (whoever's wanders in in the day) but ripples can reach far and wide. Hubby will be filming and I will subsequently be posting on all my social media platforms.
Again I have pinged this (from your surgery Facebook account), to my other Surgery’s admin. I think she is following you on Twitter now anyway.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Since my appearance on This Morning my social media platforms have been manic. Twitter has been especially busy. In a very positive way. I've answered all tweets and PMs.

Today I was invited to talk about my journey in Liverpool, one of my absolute favourite places. To a low carb group in a gp surgery. Obviously I said yes. I love to share my journey to help others. Always adding that I am the voice of many! Putting t2d into remission the lchf way. It's what works for me so well. So I'm spreading my tiny wings and taking the 'show' on the road. It's not too far to travel and I'm looking forward to learning from the low carb group as they hopefully will from me.

I would like to visit more surgeries and get our message into primary care much more than it is. Fingers crossed this is the start of something big.

So today I agreed to the talk and within an hour they had sent me a poster, and I hadn't even sent them any photos, it was all done by magic!!! Here is their Tweet:

So Excited to announce Our First Low Carb Peer Run Support Group Event, Guest Speaker The Amazing Debra Scott! She will share her T2 Diabetes diagnosis and what she did to put it into remission. Event will take place on Thursday 31st October (details on poster) https://t.co/Zzdv1gCKj8
Again, as you are putting this out on Twitter, the NHS Admin at my other surgery should be picking this up now.

The floodgates are well and truly opened now.

We have another PPG meeting a month from now and it will be interesting to see what is said this next time around. (Hard to say what I need to say when posting if I cannot name names) but my go to GP has already rolled out LCHF at my surgery owing to his connection with Dr David Unwin and his surgery.

Last edited:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Again, as you are putting this out on Twitter, the NHS Admin at my other surgery should be picking this up now.

The floodgates are well and truly opened now.

We have another PPG meeting a month from now and it will be interesting to see what is said this next time around. (Hard to say what I need to say when posting if I cannot name names) but my go to GP has already rolled out LCHF at my surgery owing to his connection with Dr David Unwin and his surgery.

It really does feel like something is happening. I especially felt that when I saw DUK asking for participants in some research on how people got into remission. I gave it them with both barrels, in a nice way. I started with 'you're not going to like this!'.

Love that your gp is rolling out low carb. By this is it by giving out my leaflet or something more?

I get that we can't name names. It's an open forum and as such everyone and anyone can see. It wouldn't be fair.

I am going to try for some sort of funding. Up to now everything I've done has been out of my own pocket, which I dont mind. It's an amazing cause. But I want to say yes to everything and wont be able to without. So just looking into that currently.

Reactions: Listlad

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It really does feel like something is happening. I especially felt that when I saw DUK asking for participants in some research on how people got into remission. I gave it them with both barrels, in a nice way. I started with 'you're not going to like this!'.

Love that your gp is rolling out low carb. By this is it by giving out my leaflet or something more?

I get that we can't name names. It's an open forum and as such everyone and anyone can see. It wouldn't be fair.

I am going to try for some sort of funding. Up to now everything I've done has been out of my own pocket, which I dont mind. It's an amazing cause. But I want to say yes to everything and wont be able to without. So just looking into that currently.
I work voluntarily for the DuKs but also subversively to promote low carb via our walking group We found funding via the local Co-Op community fund and also via a local charity hub for volunteers that advised us on how to get grants. It seems there is money out there for small operations without the need to officially register as a charity.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I work voluntarily for the DuKs but also subversively to promote low carb via our walking group We found funding via the local Co-Op community fund and also via a local charity hub for volunteers that advised us on how to get grants. It seems there is money out there for small operations without the need to officially register as a charity.

Oh thank you! That's really helpful.

I love the sound of your walking group too. Apparently tried in my surgery but not so successful. Ages ago I think so worth trying to get another off the ground. Will put out the feelers at my next PPG. Thanks again.