PR SUCCESSES - GETTING THE WORD OUT THAT LCHF IS THE BEST DIET TO HELP TREAT TYPE 2 DIABETES

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Asked if I could mention DCUK and mysugr. Nope. Advertising I suppose. Bg monitor no time for dr zoe said and she was right, it went so quickly!
Well they were only allowing part of your story, but you got round that very well.

Reactions: Prem51

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The journalist at The Sun who interviewed me (our articles in last 2 weeks) has emailed. We are quite chatty. She asked if she could help in any way in the future which I thought was lovely.

What I think would be brilliant would be an article with us all in our big pants showing weight loss (they love that!) and holding up our hba1c results or just a card with 'in remission '. But I'm not sure how people feel about that. I'm very happy to be featured in a tabloid but not everyone feels the same. Just putting out the feelers.

Reactions: Prem51 and Rachox

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The journalist at The Sun who interviewed me (our articles in last 2 weeks) has emailed. We are quite chatty. She asked if she could help in any way in the future which I thought was lovely.

What I think would be brilliant would be an article with us all in our big pants showing weight loss (they love that!) and holding up our hba1c results or just a card with 'in remission '. But I'm not sure how people feel about that. I'm very happy to be featured in a tabloid but not everyone feels the same. Just putting out the feelers.

The Sun photographer that came round to mine took some pics of me with my big jeans (shame the pics and article weren’t used). I’d be up for it. Not sure about the ‘in remission’ bit - don’t really like those terms.

Reactions: Prem51 and Debandez

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The Sun photographer that came round to mine took some pics of me with my big jeans (shame the pics and article weren’t used). I’d be up for it. Not sure about the ‘in remission’ bit - don’t really like those terms.
Great, difficult one re remission as we all have our own views on where we are on our journeys. In our Birmingham meet up I said reversed but regret that tbh. Yes I had reversed my symptoms but my t2d? Remission I'm happy with now but that's not for everyone either. Let's see where this takes us and get our heads together maybe.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I’d be up for it @Debandez I don’t put in remission on my profile but I do feel that that term is what I am after two years. Think getting us together and doing a group thing could be very powerful I’ve always thought so and a year on from original photo feel the same way. I’m sure you’d get a lot of us on board.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I’m game, even to appear in the Sun if it meant the message reached a few more people. I hope you’re being American saying big ‘pants’ and actually mean trousers? I think I still have my big jeans. I consider myself well controlled but use ‘Remission’ here as it’s the nearest IMO. I think the media do tend to prefer reversed.

Reactions: jjraak and Prem51

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d be up for it @Debandez I don’t put in remission on my profile but I do feel that that term is what I am after two years. Think getting us together and doing a group thing could be very powerful I’ve always thought so and a year on from original photo feel the same way. I’m sure you’d get a lot of us on board.

Fantastic!

I replied to her

'Hi Jan

Happy to do any PR re diabetes to help move this forward. I wanted to be sitting next to Holly and Phil with lots of other t2d with our big pants on and reversal/remission results but better luck next time! Maybe if you cover diabetes again you could do something along these lines'.

Reactions: jjraak and Prem51

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m game, even to appear in the Sun if it meant the message reached a few more people. I hope you’re being American saying big ‘pants’ and actually mean trousers? I think I still have my big jeans. I consider myself well controlled but use ‘Remission’ here as it’s the nearest IMO. I think the media do tend to prefer reversed.

Brilliant. I should have been more specific @Rachox . Big knickers!!! Of course I'm joking Haha. Big trousers/jeans it would be. I'm happy to call it whatever they like if it helps change the guidelines from HCLF to LCHF. and would probably do page 3! I'm joking again ;-). I was asked if i had any criminal convictions or had done any you know what movies or such by the research team for This Morning so I have to be careful what I say yes to (laugh out loud). Want to keep every PR door open.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fantastic!

I replied to her

'Hi Jan

Happy to do any PR re diabetes to help move this forward. I wanted to be sitting next to Holly and Phil with lots of other t2d with our big pants on and reversal/remission results but better luck next time! Maybe if you cover diabetes again you could do something along these lines'.

That’s the same woman I spoke to - and @DJC3 I think.

Reactions: DJC3 and Debandez

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't offer to participate as not had bloods under control long enough but wishing you all well and hoping for many more opportunities for you to promote a better way of eating for Type2s.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Update re my appearance on This Morning last week. Its caused quite a stir! A few ruffled feathers. So much so Zoe made a statement in her Twitter

https://twitter.com/DrZoeWilliams/status/1171388091443159043?s=19

https://twitter.com/DrZoeWilliams/status/1171394151503601665?s=19

I hope it was the wind and that she wasnt upset. I really do.

Passions are running high in the diabetic and medical community.

The interview has certainly raised awareness!

I've replied to all comments on any links to it I can find and pointed the people to this forum for help, support and info. I've PMd those who requested more info. It's had @100k hits on the this Morning Facebook page plus over 100 shares. Over 10k hits on the YouTube link. 1,300 hits on Ash trees house surgery thanks to @Listlad. Many on my own surgery fb page @Adelaide st surgery. And many views on my own fb page plus shares. Every little helps.

PR really is working.

Next goal is getting lots of us on that sofa. To show people this isnt just a one off here and there.

I don't see any success stories coming out whereby remission has been reached with low cal (anyone else?).This is what Dr Zoe kept reinforcing in my interview. She spoke of DiRECT results. When I popped on the internet to research it says remission can be achieved for over 2 years. So basically hba1c creeping back up until in diabetic range again. I would prefer my remission to be permanent and that's why I've changed my woe for life to #lchf. It might not be for everyone but it really suits me and so many more across the world.

Hoping that soon they start listening. They change the eatwell plate advice, they change the dietary guidelines for t2d. They offer us a choice which includes info on #lchf and dont immediately offer meds including statins. And they offer pre diabetic and diabetic pts blood glucose monitors and dont say you dont need to use them as they can make you obsessive! In.my opinion they are essential.

Keeping up the fight until this happens.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't see any success stories coming out whereby remission has been reached with low cal (anyone else

@Debandez, I would commend you for all you are doing to promote the success of LCHF. Having watched your TV appearance with Doctor Zoe, I did feel you were ‘gagged’ a little, and that she and the presenters did not allow your full message to get across.
LCHF is a regime I have used myself for 4 years, following a weight loss of 49kg on VLCD. It was the initial VLCD that did give me remission/ reversal/control of blood glucose ( whatever one wants to call it). Despite maintaing LOW CARB lifestyle, and regular exercise regime, and I.F, I don’t lose weight on LCHF, indeed am quite envious of those who do. Also recently, after 6 years of below diabetes BG levels, I am seeing an increased HbA1c, whilst still keeping low carb, under 60g a day.

What I am trying to get across here, is that although I am in agreement with the thread title, (and would hate to see the thread turn into a battleground between methods of control of T2) there are always exeptions to the rule, and in promoting LCHF exclusively, it isn’t necessary to devalue VLCD which is can be very successful as a mechananism for some. Success of LCHF speaks for itself.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Debandez, I would commend you for all you are doing to promote the success of LCHF. Having watched your TV appearance with Doctor Zoe, I did feel you were ‘gagged’ a little, and that she and the presenters did not allow your full message to get across.
LCHF is a regime I have used myself for 4 years, following a weight loss of 49kg on VLCD. It was the initial VLCD that did give me remission/ reversal/control of blood glucose ( whatever one wants to call it). Despite maintaing LOW CARB lifestyle, and regular exercise regime, and I.F, I don’t lose weight on LCHF, indeed am quite envious of those who do. Also recently, after 6 years of below diabetes BG levels, I am seeing an increased HbA1c, whilst still keeping low carb, under 60g a day.

What I am trying to get across here, is that although I am in agreement with the thread title, (and would hate to see the thread turn into a battleground between methods of control of T2) there are always exeptions to the rule, and in promoting LCHF exclusively, it isn’t necessary to devalue VLCD which is can be very successful as a mechananism for some. Success of LCHF speaks for itself.

Fully agree there @Pipp

While I can see there are other avenues, should the advice allways default to the EATWELL plate in so many instances.

I'd of been happy to try another after my first 6 weeks of EATWELL was an abject failure

And for me, that's the crux of all this.

How can one surgery, be turning out stunning results for type 2, yet all I got offered was a proven to fall, archaic diet of EATWELL.

Praise to all who succeed in lowering, reducing, getting to remission, whatever... this insidious disease.

But should THAT really be in the hands of individuals to find for themselves ?

Thank God we don't DON'T use that method with every other disease.

Last edited:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Thank you for this. I was just happy to get my journey out onto mainstream TV. It has raised awareness which was my goal.

I completely agree with you. More than one way to do it. My sister went down the bariatric surgery route. T2d disappeared overnight more or less. Still hasn't returned in over 10 years. I see the ND/VLCD works and as you confirm in your signature this isnt sustainable longterm, but it works well in the short term. I am just trying to raise awareness that there is another option. As I said in the interview, I had no idea a carb turned to sugar! No idea that for my breakfast of one slice wholemeal toast, fruit juice and cereal I was gulping down about 21 teaspoons of sugar. I saw my poor mum suffer terribly with the complications of diabetes. If I'd known then what I know now things could have been so different. It makes me so very sad.

I have helped many to date, non diabetic and diabetic. So much positive feedback. Just 2 weeks ago my friend thanked me as her mum has gone low carb and is now off insulin. Music to my ears. She had no idea what effect carbs were having on her before I shared my knowledge.

I understand it's not for everyone. But I share my knowledge in the hope that a few will find it as good a medicine as I have.

I also realise it's not always as simple as just going low carb, especially where other medical conditions are involved.

As you have confirmed, you are still on a journey to reach your goal weight which is frustrating for you. And your hba1c has gone in the wrong direction of late, even more of a frustration and worry I expect.

It's an ongoing battle we have and we are all in this together, helping each other along the way. This site, and its forum members, is awesome. And it's people like you that give so much to so many that make it such a special place. Want to take this opportunity to personally thank you.