1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Reverse Type 2 Diabetes with a LCHF diet. Is this a myth?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Little Bird, Nov 23, 2019.

1. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Little Bird, there have been many threads on here for the ND. If you use the site search facility, I feel sure they'd come up.

2. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Yes..thats what I thought when I was first diagnosed back in 2011. However as soon as i began to slowly add back the calories i also started ro regain the weight...at a much quicker rate than ever before because my body had got used to surviving on 600 cals (which was what they said the ND was way back then..they didn't mention the extra 200 cals that was provided by real food in any literature i could find about the ND at the time) So I had done all of that for absolutely nothing. I wasn't even back to square one...I was further back than that with a slower metabolism. Plus I felt like a complete failure as I regained the weight.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

I know of no evidence that he has ever said that or even implied anything near it. I think you may be projecting on to him the unhelpful attitudes that other people have had to you over the years.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Little Bird

Little Bird · Well-Known Member

Apparently you're supposed to eat some veggies as well as the shakes so that take in enough fibre. I would imagine it would pretty miserable otherwise!

5. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

Yes, but is there any evidence that LCHF without weight loss results in loss of fat from liver and pancreas?

6. Little Bird

Thank you I will look for them. I find I get a bit lost as there is so much info and so many different forums!

7. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Well my Alt liver count vastly improved on LCHF without weight loss...but I have never been offered a scan so I can't prove that there was loss of fat from the liver. However before LCHF my GP felt my liver and said it was fatty. Since the improvement in Alt count he has said it feels fine. Unfortunately those of us who haven't been in a trial don't get access to the scans to prove our method works.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

I did 600 cals of mostly veggies with a little fat. I had done plenty of shake diets before ...back when the medical profession dismissed them as dangerous fad diets so i wasn't gping to put myself through that again.

9. Little Bird

I honestly don't know but I'd like to, it's an interesting question. I believe that when you lose weight regardless of starting weight or the type of diet that one of the first places you lose it from is the internal organs but the rate and degree can vary from one person to another. As I understand it some people deposit and hold on to their liver fat more stubbornly than others. I think this is an of diabetes research. Fascinating!

10. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Yes you are probably right. There have been very many HCPs who have judged me wrongly in the past so I still see the 'eat less move more' message as a personal criticism. Sorry Prof. Taylor. The funny thing is with LCHF I can eat more and move alot more and am alot healthier.

• Like Like x 1
    #90 zand, Nov 24, 2019 at 12:00 PM
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  11. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Well-Known Member

There is plenty of anecdotal evidence from members here losing weight but not claiming remission or reversal, but few LCHF claiming anything other thn gaining control. Even those who are clearly in the non diabetic ranges do not seem to claim reversal. Even myself who did have a brief honeymoon period recently only claimed it because my consultants declared it, but I am no longer in that happy state but am able thankfully to claim control.

We also have members here who have used the ND diet to get to reversal levels, but who have since owned up to having slipped back some time afterwards. As I stated in an earlier post, bariatric surgery is the only recognised path to full time reversal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Little Bird

clearly not a good approach for you then zand. But you have found what is good for you now so that's a good thing and it's great to hear about your success and that you are happy ☺.

13. Little Bird

Being judged by others can make ud sensitive, In some ways I think the judgements people put on other people can cause more harm than diabetes or any physical issue ever c could. I think it's important to respect other people's views and choices as well as their individualism and refrain from judgements and criticism. It's poison.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

For some but not all who have it...

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

So have you decided what your path will be?
    Please don't succumb to analysis paralysis..

16. Little Bird

Therein lies the problem. Analysis paralysis has always been my happy place!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I would emphasize that my shape has altered even without weightloss. I have lost body fat and gained muscle, and I used to have an equator rather than a waistline when eating a high carb 'healthy' diet.
    Most of my clothes from the time of diagnosis have been thrown out, or have been unpicked and remade as I have gone from ( ) to ) (.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

When thinking about all this I just want to share that a very low calorie diet, years ago,affected my metabolism and I found that I put weight on quicker after it, and have remained needing fewer calories since. My metabolism didn't go back. Something not often mentioned is the affect low calorie diet can have on our long-term metabolism

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Oldvatr

There are different flavours of the surgery, but one which is used for diabetes does seem to be suitable. I am not an expert in this, but the normal obesity snip snip seems to be insufficient and it is I believe the full bypass that is needed. It is this that the Taylor team was trying to emulate with the ND diet initial trial.

20. Oldvatr

The revolving door syndrome leading to yo-yo dieting. This is a very moot point made here.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook