Should I Stop Metformin Altogether?

cherrydarling_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I was diagnosed with t2 (hba1c 53) in December, and was in denial for the first month or two. Doc prescribed metformin 1 a day, but I was also testing my levels after eating (not advised by doc)and tried really hard to stick to diabetes diet (but levels were always really high) Im awfully forgetful and often had days where i didnt take my pill! Late March I finally found a meal (baked pot,tuna and salad) that didn't send my levels through the roof, as other meals had, and just eat that everyday. I saw the DN in June who said doc was satisfied with my hba1c and told me I'd lost over a stone and my hba1c had come down too (now 43)! I've pretty much stopped taking my metformin, as I don't think I need to take it as my levels came down without them (sporadically taking them) my friend said I should keep taking them whilst another said I wasn't diabetic anymore. What do you think?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
There are many, many foods and recipes out there that you can try. Have a look at Dietdoctor.com first for meals and snacks. As for Metformin, it is considered a mild but safe drug with effects that go beyond blood glucose control, however, you are entitled to make your own decisions with regard to any treatment or medication prescribed. And the freind who says you are no longer Diabetic is talking through her hat, you cannot eat your way to a cure (this applies to excercise, too) because there is no cure. You can eat your way to good management and improved health but you will always have Type 2 Diabetes.

Reactions: cherrydarling_

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
@cherrydarling_ Have you had a look at the diet doctor site, https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes There are loads of really tasty, easy recipes there, which will not put your blood sugars up. We all need a certain amount of variety, both for our health and our sanity.
Metformin, as you have discovered, has very little effect on blood sugar levels. It is up to you to decide if you want to take them or not, though I am obliged to say that you should discuss this with your doctor.
You may not, currently, have blood sugar levels within the official diabetic range, but if you slip back to your old diet, you will be on a very slippery slope. A low carb diet, or should I say "life style" is for life.
Sally

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a small note @cherrydarling_ , your HbA1c of 43 is at a pre diabetic level so whichever way you look at it your friend who says you’re not diabetic at all is simply wrong. I maintain my HbA1c in the mid 30s and have just reduced from 3 to 2 Metformin a day. I’m happy to stay on this smaller dose as I can eat a diet of up to 50g carbs per day whilst staying ‘non diabetic’ and also benefit from Metformins other effects. Here’s an article about Metformin which may be if interest to you:
http://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2001/9/report_metformin/Page-01

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I stopped taking Metformin as it made me so ill - but I cannot eat high carb foods, but you obviously can - you have even lost weight and lowered your Hba1c.
Why not work out how many carbs you are eating (potatoes are about 15 percent carbs I think) and perhaps substituting some other foods - though it is perfectly possible to survive on what you are eating the potato is a surprisingly nutritious foodstuff.
I like a stirfry of sweet pepper courgette and aubergine which is low carb and should not cause high BG levels - I also eat mushrooms, beetroot, cauliflower and broccoli, celeriac onion and leeks - there are lots of low carb vegetables, lower than potatoes.

cherrydarling_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@Resurgam I'm still trying to get my head round counting carbs I do switch it up a bit, if the family are having chicken curry and rice I'll have baked potato and curry, if I'm making them a roast dinner I will occasionally join in with meat and veg. I'm like a todder, I'm very fussy @Guzzler @sally and james I will definitely take a look at the diet doctor! @Contralto my readings normally go up by 0.3 after I've eaten, being in the 6-7 range but never higher than 7! I guess I'll make an an appointment with my doctor, and tell me friend to stop talking out if her backside thanks y'all! :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
@Resurgam I'm still trying to get my head round counting carbs I do switch it up a bit, if the family are having chicken curry and rice I'll have baked potato and curry, if I'm making them a roast dinner I will occasionally join in with meat and veg. I'm like a todder, I'm very fussy @Guzzler @sally and james I will definitely take a look at the diet doctor! @Contralto my readings normally go up by 0.3 after I've eaten, being in the 6-7 range but never higher than 7! I guess I'll make an an appointment with my doctor, and tell me friend to stop talking out if her backside thanks y'all! :)

I would add that a rethink of spuds would be wise. Potatoes are high in starchy carbs so while you may be able to cope with them now that could change in the future. Same goes for rice and bread. Good luck!