Slimming World

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
OK, Sorry! forget what I said about independants knowing their stuff!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
:lol: They maybe meant that it had no sugar ! It always pays to check out these claims when you are a diabetic as Slimming World diets are not diabetic specific.

roxy44

can i ask...if you have a green day, what do you have instead of bread, rice and pasta? your replies will help me a lot,...thanks x

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Sorry, Roxy can't help there. I'm a low carber anyway, don't eat bread, Potatoes, Pasta or rice normally anyway. Don't miss them either.

BPM

Dislikes
An irrational hatred of Tottenham Hotspurs ;)
I try too avoid green days or I will have a small portion of pasta or rice - always wholemeal as it converts too glucose at a much slower rate.

CMichael

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello everyone, I was interested to read this thread as I used to work for Slimming World so thought I'd add a comment: Food Optimising (SW's eating plan) is much more flexible now and you don't have to stick to Red or Green days or even meals, you can mix and match and have more or fewer carbs, as you choose. It doesn't work for everyone of course but as there is so much choice you can make it fit in with your own preferences or medication routine and still benefit from the group support, which most members say is the best thing about it.

barleymo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Re: food

Hi - have tried Slimming World with no success I'm afraid. I cannot tolerate carbs - especially pasta - and "green" days seem to ask for pasta non stop. I kept to "red" days and did lose weight but only for a while and nothing made a difference to BG - when I found I didn't lose any more weight regardless of how hard I tried I stopped going. I really hope it makes a difference for you.

roxy44

barleymo
i am finding it difficult to be honest, the red days dont fill me plus i dont eat much fish and not keen on too much meat...the green days are great or use to be pre diabetes!! not so great now...i will continue this week and see how it goes...i think its already hard enough thinking of what we can eat without SW, i lost 7lb on Gi diet, so i will see what i lose next week on SW..
i am kinda of the mind....eat good food low Gi and excercise..we'll see lol x

Lindakp

Dislikes
Rude people. Drivers who cling to my bumper when I am observing speed limits!!
I lost over 50 pounds following the SW diet on the "Extra Easy" plan and as a result I came off of Metformin. Maybe I was lucky but it worked for me and my BMI has dropped from 28.5 to 24.9. My GP is very pleased so good luck on the diet and I hope it works for you too.

Debz1809

Dislikes
Liars !!!!
Hi there

I am currently at Slimming World. I started 12 weeks ago and have lost 2st 12.5lbs. I am following th Extra Easy Plan and I am loving it. I am not really paying too much attention to what the sigar content etc is in foods. Just really eating lots of foods that are syn free. I eat alot of fruit, especiall grapes but then someone from my group told me that these were quite dangerous for diabetics and should only have a few!! I am going to see my diabetic nurse on Monday as I have to get started on Metoformin tablets and Byetta injections. I am really scared as read that they make you feel really ill like nauseaous, sick, diarreoha etc!! :( What should I be looking out for on Slimming World whilst diabetc? My consultant did give me a wee book about it but there wasnt really much in it

Debbie

anniep

I don't know much about slimming world, but yes, grapes are bad for us diabetics - they were described to me as 'little bags of sugar'

I find a lot of fruit spikes my blood sugar levels, for instance oranges are very bad, I can't even eat one apple without it raising my levels, but many of us find the berries such as strawberries, rasberries and blueberries are ok. And fruit juice for me is a complete no no.

The only way to really work out what is good for you is to test after eating, as we are all individuals and our bodies react differently to each food.

When you start metformin make sure you eat it with food -when I first started I had to take mine actually during a meal not even 5 minutes before hand, or 10 minutes after but to make sure it was right with the food, but it has settled down a little bit now.

Well done on the weight loss so far that will certainly help things.

roxy44

well done Debz, thats fantastic weight loss,

have you found the weigh come off easy?

i seem to be sticking with the green and red days, the other one your only allowed 1a and 1b right?
so i prefer the othersd then i can have cereal and bread from 1 and milk and cheese from other,

just trying it out for now see how it goes, lost 1lb since starting it on wednesday and that includes 1 night out eating with friends, so not too bad....i have about 4 and half stone to go!!! :roll:

and it usually comes off quicker in the past but not this time lol
can i ask what your daily diet consists of please? i always find this helpful
xx

Ottermoon

Slim Fast, coming second, is not the same as slimming world. At least I'm pretty sure not. The diet reviews in this link are from an .American organisation.

Ottermoon

roxy44

well i think i'm getting there at last, lost 12lb in 5 weeks slow at times, but getting there, i think if i had been losing weight for vanitys sake i would have given in by now, and thought s*d it, i'm meant to be big and thats that!!!, but being told you have diabetes as put everything in a different light, i HAVE to lose weight end off!!! the weight loss is an added bonus :)

it has taken me up to now and onwards to learn and accept that my life has to change no ifs or buts, and although i would not have wished to have got diabetes, i think it will have saved my life, as i said i am still learning and accepting, but also realise that life is precious and sometimes take an illness to give you the MASSIVE kick up the ass :lol:

not sure i will embrace it as my saviour yet....( we are still learning to live together :lol: )
but who knows!!

xx

Helenwales.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
many things depression is awfull,I wish there were more support with Diabetes in my area would love to meet people and talk about the condition ... I get along .
Hello all I joined slimming world last week,doing Extra easy,with my daughter she has 3 stone to lose (none diabetic) I was 17.11 to start I lost half a pound this week,I just find it confusing and irritating counting points and I love my bread.
I am fetting in to it now and the weekly class keeps me motivated,one Lady has lost 5 stone in 3 months!!!!
others also have big weight loses,.
I am very naughty ate chocolate loved bread terrible for my bread at every meal.
I now think about what I am having to eat although as a Diabetic I should have been listening anyway ashamed to say I mostly ate what I wanted..
My bloods were on 12 in the morning..
Now my bloods for passed few days have been on 3,6 3.3 very low but I have not had a hypo,just abit dizzy and I know i have to eat,I am on slow relese Glargine 40ml an evening now I have lowered it to 30,I am also taking Metforming 3 times a day and Gliclazide 2x twice a day 80mg so I think I need to see my Diabetic Nurse this week as they are so low.
Like I said I am now 17.10 half and a size 24 in clothes.
I am aiming for a size 16 thats my goel 14 stone ? i think .... then whatever after that is a bonus a size 14 will be perfect I am feeling very posative ..
I was reluctant to join a slimming club as I think its expensive and we all know how to lose weight and what we should be eating,but on this diet I wouldnt dream of eating a Fudge at 6points,never mind a mars bar !!!!
So knowing I am weighing every week keeps me in tabs and of course the milestones I want my half stone sticker :) also the online help too seeing your progress on the My slimming world chart is such an insentive good luck all we must keep in touch on how we are all doing xxxx

roxy44

hi helen,
good for you!! i know it can be expencive but i got vouchers from my doctors 12 weeks for freem they have stopped then now though:(.
but i will carry on what i save on the rubbish i used to eat i save for there, also its like swimming it can be expencive but again..no more take outs or maccy Ds, so i like to think i am putting money into my health,
i really dont get the food optomising, i stick to green and red days, but watch the carbs too, i know a lot of people love bread so that must be hard for you, if you go on say a green day you can have bread as well as your cereal, 2 As and 2 Bs, where as on the optomising its 1 of each, i use to do it years ago and lost almost 2 stone, but had to stop as i looked after my late mother, but this time i know i HAVE to stick to it!!,
we will have to keep intouch and enjoy each others progress!! :) i have lost 15lbs in 7 weeks...wish it was more but hey ho!!, i was 16.3 ...now 15.7, what days do you go? i go mondays at 6.30,
nice hearing from you and hope to hear more xx

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
well done Roxy I only lost 1 1/2lb this so I'll have to beat you next week!