Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Another thing. ...not sure if anyone here can help. ..do I have to have a review at my drs regarding my diabetes? I know that I need my hba etc checked but honestly, its a waste of time. If I have problems or questions, I go to the diabetic centre at Kettering hospital. They have community nurses I see also. I assumed that as it is my condition, surely who I see is up to me? Btw, I have always controlled it well, am waiting for daphne course and am hoping to discuss pump therapy tomorrow. Ive never abused my health so im not refusing treatment, I just thought I could choose which was right for me.

As your already under the care of your hospital clinic I don't think you need to have your diabetes review at your Dr's. you might need to go there to have your bloods taken by a nurse which will be sent over to the hospital for your review but that's about it.

I have my diabetes review under the hospital diabetes clinic, as said I get bloods done the week before my appointment by which time they are ready for when I see the consultant, my gp surgery would like me to have my review with them but I prefer to have it done at the hospital.

calamitygayn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im the same. Surely its a preference thing and saving on nhs resources. .. still...who are we?.....apart from the ones who live with it but still have to fight for basic equipment which really is life saving

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Another thing. ...not sure if anyone here can help. ..do I have to have a review at my drs regarding my diabetes? I know that I need my hba etc checked but honestly, its a waste of time. If I have problems or questions, I go to the diabetic centre at Kettering hospital. They have community nurses I see also. I assumed that as it is my condition, surely who I see is up to me? Btw, I have always controlled it well, am waiting for daphne course and am hoping to discuss pump therapy tomorrow. Ive never abused my health so im not refusing treatment, I just thought I could choose which was right for me.

I have said this to my gp surgery but was told that because they issue my script they have to do reviews as well as my diabetes team

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, Simvistatin.

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As your already under the care of your hospital clinic I don't think you need to have your diabetes review at your Dr's. you might need to go there to have your bloods taken by a nurse which will be sent over to the hospital for your review but that's about it.

I have my diabetes review under the hospital diabetes clinic, as said I get bloods done the week before my appointment by which time they are ready for when I see the consultant, my gp surgery would like me to have my review with them but I prefer to have it done at the hospital.
That all depends on the gp surgery as I said in last post it's a waste of time and money but gp' shave the power to make life as difficult as possible

Westie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Regarding the GP reviews: if your GP is prescribing items for you he is taking clinical responsibility for that prescribing. Therefore he or the PN needs to be satisfied all is well. It is also an opportunity for the practice to find out what the hospital has been doing as letters often leave out most detail.
Use this time to build bridges, educate and explain. Eg a note in your clinical history about your testing regimen may prevent later issues.

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Well, first off I hope your discussions with hosp consultant ref pump goes well today.

It is no good going to the media unless you have done an official complaint and enabled the Practice in concern to remedy the complaint.

There are channels that you have followed and prior to going to a paper.. Who will just say 'have you complained, who to? We will talk to them..' If you haven't taken the correct channels of complaint then the papers will just demonise you and you will get no where.....

Sorry, I totally disagree with advice from previous OP....

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
l didnt say media ...yet .....l said mp now and l have been mp route 2x to get things sorted so yes have experience there once medical once financial.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
l would speak to a paper while l hate the media and politicians l would make use of at least 1 ring your local mp tomorrow may just be a lackey on but diabetes is big news at the moment.

I think the writing I have quoted above from you says different to what you have just denied.. You stated paper or mp.. To use 1 of them.

I am sorry, before doing the above, the Practice Manager should be given the chance to resolve this.. By all means after you have given this chance to them, and should they fail to resolve a complaint then the next stage could be to take things further.

You did suggest ringing mp tomorrow, but you did add in paper and media...

AlexandraMarnie89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I feel the same! It's ridiculous having to have review by doctors when I'm at the hospital so otter (sometimes every 6 weeks!) so I argued with the receptionist and got nowhere. I called back later that day and got a telephone app with the nurse and when she called me back I explained that I'm at the hospital regularly and wasn't happy about having to have bloods etc done again so she said I didn't have to have the bloods done but still needed to have the actual review - hope this helps!

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So, what happened today, Calamity Gayn ? Any progress ,and hopefully a good result ?

Signy

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Going on to reviews....

A lot of persons quote from NICE guidelines on what they expect grom GP's and what GP reviews should be etc.

Please note that as well as NICE guidelines GP Practices are also strictly guided by QOF....QOF have increased their demands of expectations from GP's. They now have 16 that I know of that they must fulfil.

On top of that there are CQC inspections... Which you will hear adverse comments on Practices standards in the Media.

On top of that they have Patients to see....

It used to be simple, no longer...

Please see a simplified version of how the NHS is now set up.

Its all very well saying about reviews etc... But there is legislation for GP Businesses to follow...and believe me, if reviews weren't within necessary legislation they would not be so stringent....

It

Reactions: 4 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Agreed. Thank you, it is interesting and informative :)
I think it's difficult to understand sometimes what is going on in the NHS from our perspective.

Signy

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That all depends on the gp surgery as I said in last post it's a waste of time and money but gp' shave the power to make life as difficult as possible.

I think we have our wires crossed Crimsonclient, my reply was for Calamitygayn and that was why I quoted their post.

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No wire crossed all I was saying was that I have to go to gp for 1 blood test then a couple of weeks later go to the hospital and have the same tests done all over again, it's a waste of time and money duplicating tests. I was told by my step sons asthma nurse (same person who is my dsn) that he couldn't have a second have a second attachment for his asthma pump as the nhs is nearly bankrupt yet it is ok to keep interfering in my diabetes care when I am under the diabetes clinic

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thank you for the thankyou's ref u tube video.

Personally, I know theres even worse bureaucracy even at ground level...

I'm not employed by NHS, but as a volunteer on the Patients Participation Group at Practices... This is where you can find these details out...

It is not the GP's fault that they ate now having to jump through loops to keep their businessss.

So when you get cheesed off with two reviews, don't take it out on the stsff...its not their fault you HAVE to have 2 different reviews.... Ridiculous yes, but not their fault.

Reactions: 2 people

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not about the reviews it's when I have to go through with the review with the doctors and when I ask to change anything I get told to go to the diabetes team as gp not responsible for my care