Spreading The Lchf Word Together, Maybe The Way Forward?

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Its going to take a while this so may I suggest you make yourself a coffee and top up with lashings of double cream of course! Or if you are reading this during the evening maybe a glass of the red juice! Maybe it doesnt have to be evening.....or red! Just make yourself comfy. Here goes....

I joined this amazing forum towards the end of last year following my shock diagnosis. Worried sick. Clueless apart from the Eat well drawing in my hand, done very roughly by hand (in my very first appointment where you are still in shock) by my diabetic nurse, who also confirmed that this beast that was now inside me was progressive. I would need drugs, and more drugs and maybe insulin. She was the same nurse who had treated my mum for about 10 years before her death 11 years ago. I thought 'she knows best, im doomed'. I knew my mum's had been progressive so why would i even question her statement. The good news was that basically i could eat what i liked but just had to cut down on sugar. I could eat plenty of starchy carbs with a low GI, eat plenty of fruit and veg, cut down on fat, choose low fat dairy, lean meat, blah blah blah. You know the script as you had exactly the same no doubt. All backed up on the nhs website. The threat of metformin was hanging over me as my hba1c was over 48 (62). I shudder at the thought of having to take tablets as my mum was offered thalidamide when she was pregnant with me as she was so sick. Thankfully for me she did not take them. I know metformin works well and has been going for years but i just wanted to see if maybe, just maybe, i could reverse my diagnosis with diet alone. I had heard reversal was possible. I knew it was as a very close member of my family had a gastric bypass and the t2d disappeared over night more or less. I didnt want to go down the same path as my poor mum who eventually ended up on insulin, registered blind, high BP, stroke and leg wounds that were proving difficult to treat. So i googled 'reversing diabetes' and this was the first site i came to - thankfully it wasn't diabetes.org! And i have never looked back. I learned so much from all the amazing people who are very happy and willing to share their knowledge and can never thank them enough. And also the abundance of info on the site itself. I started on the LCHF Woe. The weight dropped off me. I went back to the DN with my project book in hand, my weight loss details, my BS readings. She said 'nobody has done what you are doing'. I checked what she had just said. 'Nobody....ever....in all the years?'. She replied 'Not one person has come through that door ever doing what you are doing, they look to me as their google and just follow my advice'. I could not believe it because by this point my BS had come down to non diabetic levels (41). All through diet. And not the one recommended!! Meds were not mentioned. I told her on my 2nd appointment about the diet i was on and she rolled her eyes. I said it would only be until i reversed things as i thought that the HF might cause health issues. She was happy with that. I asked for the 2nd appointment specifically for her to check my hba1c and cholesterol. That was 6th feb and it hba1c came back as 47 (pre diabetic) but i knew i was on the right track and felt happy to continue. Cholestrol was ok too. And now i feel happy to stay on this woe permanently as i dont want to get back into that same boat ever again. Plus i know that the HF part is nothing to concern myself over.

When i lost 3 stone i wrote up my journey details in the forum thread 'success stories and testimonials'. Dajana from the press office linked to the site contacted me asking if she could go to the local paper and maybe even national papers with my story. Yes, absolutely, spread the word. And within a short period of time i was in touch with my local gazette who sent around a photographer. I sent my story to them by email and i spoke to the journalist on the phone. She only confirmed my age as she said everything she needed to know was in my write up. My story went in the paper a week ago today. The journalist had edited quite a lot out but still kept much of the important info in so i was happy enough. She apologised and said it was a specific template but hoped she had done my story justice. When i saw me on the FRONT of the gazette at the check out in the sainsburys superstore at 10.30am i nearly choked on my adonis bar!!! I was expecting it that day but in the afternoon when they usually arrive in the shops. I quickly bought a copy....and another 6 just in case. Not sure of what but i thought i better had anyway. What if everyone wants a copy as soon as they see this story of reversing diabetes. Surely everyone would want to read about it. All diabetics would want to know how i did it. I went online and sure enough it was there too! I thought i better get myself home and at my pc ready to answer the influx of questions. I was so excited to spread the word.....

To date only one comment has been left!!!

Gutted is an understatement. Then a couple of days ago it popped up on my facebook feed. And the comments started!!! I can't tell you how happy i was sitting here on my orange box talking of finger pricking, testing, remission, weight loss, low carb, high fat and people were interested. But to me this is a drop in the ocean. As happy as i am to reply and help if i can, it's not enough. I could send my story template to magazines, national papers in the hope it might get published but i know now the response would not be what my heart would yearn for, to ultimately get the message over that they are treating diabetes wrong, giving out bad advice which is ultimately making the disease progressive. Putting patients on meds immediately (my friend wants to stay on them so he can eat what he wants even though i have explained this isn't the case, this is not emphasised enough at the outset and if it was maybe people might try this diet). The doctors get more money i believe when a patient is put on meds and the pharma companies make billions from it. Not to mention slimming products and weight loss programmes etc. And the food industry continue to profit from heavily prossessed foods making us hungrier than ever. Viscious circle.

So my question is this, i am one tiny voice. Nobody can really hear me. As loud as i am shouting. Most people are happy turning a deaf ear. But what if we got together to do a newspaper article? Can you imagine the headline ' between them they have lost 100 stone (or more depending on how many are involved) and all of them have reversed their diabetes' this would be eye catching. Im not sure all of us could get on the sofa with holly and phil but we could give it a whirl. And I'm not sure everyone would be happy classing it as reversal as this is a grey area. We all know that going back to the old way of eating would usually put us right back to square 1 but it would definitely grab attention more than remission! We could protest about the way diabetes is being treated currently, maybe go down the rebellious route and march on with banners demanding to speak to the PM (although i think she might have enough on her plate at the moment.....i dont know if it will be low carb food on there either even though she is diabetic!)

I felt so good doing the article but then so flat at lack of feedback.

Here is the gazette link so you get an idea of how little response it got. I have however had over 40 comments on their facebook link to the article. And they are still coming in I'm happy to say.

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/...is-and-lost-weight-by-cutting-carbs-1-9233089

Not giving up spreading the word thats all i know at the moment. Need to tell newbies and those who have had it for hears that the beast can be tamed. Just wondering if its worth us forming a group so that little voice becomes louder. We could do it over the miles with modern technology. Many of us have before and after pics and a story to tell. We could even write a book! Jason fung eat your heart out! 'We ALL reversed our diabetes'.

We could maybe meet up even if its just a few of us. Local cafe, i can see it now. 'Can i order the quiche salad please, i hope that wasnt made in a factory, can you take off all the pastry, i only want half a tomato, heavy on the cucumber and lettuce, sprinkle of onions. What!!! You only have low fat mayo!!! But im on a diet and it has to be loaded with fat, fuller the better!!! And please don't even mention jacket potatoes, oh well, while we are on that subject do you realise how many sugars there are in one of those....well let me tell you (queue forming benind and lots of tutting and blowing). A drink? yes please, tripple shot coffee (unless you serve bullet proof!) with lashings of double cream. You might as well throw in 3 strawberries but not too big size wise. Do i want chocolate on the top? If its 85 per cent yes if not can you throw on some flax seeds!!!!'

So im just asking you if you have any ideas or if you think its fighting a losing battle. Any feedback welcomed!!!!!!
Hope USA hols brill - pleased you’re in too
@jayney27 and @DJC3 and @ianpspurs interested in this meet up? You’re all amazing success stories too and are more evidence re this way of eating working.

Reactions: DJC3

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @shelley262 for highlighting this post and including me, I am more than happy to support the cause.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Debandez
what a brilliant post. I'm more than happy to add whatever support I can. As mentioned by @shelley262 re weight loss, add my 4 and a half stone loss to our combined total, hey we are well on our way to the 100 stone target. No meds and remission via diet only for me too. Everyone I meet can't get over my transformation and is interested to know how I achieved it.
The more people we can enlighten the better, I appreciate that it isn't the route everyone can take and that there will be doubters but that's fine, we are free to make our own choices.
My partners mum has recently followed my lead re diet and testing, she has been type 2 for as long as I've known her, has other more recent health issues too, but some of these I felt could be improved with a change to her diet. She was aware of my diagnoses but hadn't seen me until May this year, her reaction was priceless, if not a little worrying, she was half way down the stairs as I walked through her front door, she had to grab the handrail for fear of falling, she was amazed.
She hadn't taken her diagnoses that seriously and although she ate a fairly balanced diet, she was also a big carb muncher. Earlier this year she needed an operation that was cancelled due to her high BG levels. Seeing me was her light bulb moment, I ordered her a meter and suggested while I was on holiday she cut her carbs, just for one meal a day, until I got back. On my return her finger prick tests were averaging 9's or 10's, the previous week we recorded a 16 on my meter! she had also lost a couple of pounds. She has continued low carb, is seeing steady weight loss, averaging 1lb per week, but is aware of fat melting away.
I suggested she ask for a new blood test to see if she could be reconsidered for her operation, after a bit of a battle, being told that it was a waste of time, despite being able to prove that her BG levels were improving they re tested her, proof provided, levels much improved and now within the range to be put back on the list for her operation, result.
Back to you, well done for taking the initiative to suggest we try and spread the word, count me in.

Last edited:

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Debandez great post. You can count me in, I'm into my third month of LCHF and have my Diabetes MOT in a couple of weeks so will be interesting to see what my HbA1c comes back at (was 82). I have lost 2 1/2 in 2 months and reduced my Bg from 16.6 to 4.9 average over 30 days. Will post results of my blood test when they come through,:)

Reactions: jayney27

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez count me in. What an excellent post, and so many other inspirational stories here already. I’m excited to be part of it.

Thanks @shelley262 for tagging me.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez count me in. What an excellent post, and so many other inspirational stories here already. I’m excited to be part of it.

Thanks @shelley262 for tagging me.
Well done @DJC3 would be great to meet up with so many people we’ve got to know so well .....plus what an impact all of us together.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Debandez
what a brilliant post. I'm more than happy to add whatever support I can. As mentioned by @shelley262 re weight loss, add my 4 and a half stone loss to our combined total, hey we are well on our way to the 100 stone target. No meds and remission via diet only for me too. Everyone I meet can't get over my transformation and is interested to know how I achieved it.
The more people we can enlighten the better, I appreciate that it isn't the route everyone can take and that there will be doubters but that's fine, we are free to make our own choices.
My partners mum has recently followed my lead re diet and testing, she has been type 2 for as long as I've known her, has other more recent health issues too, but some of these I felt could be improved with a change to her diet. She was aware of my diagnoses but hadn't seen me until May this year, her reaction was priceless, if not a little worrying, she was half way down the stairs as I walked through her front door, she had to grab the handrail for fear of falling, she was amazed.
She hadn't taken her diagnoses that seriously and although she ate a fairly balanced diet, she was also a big carb muncher. Earlier this year she needed an operation that was cancelled due to her high BG levels. Seeing me was her light bulb moment, I ordered her a meter and suggested while I was on holiday she cut her carbs, just for one meal a day, until I got back. On my return her finger prick tests were averaging 9's or 10's, the previous week we recorded a 16 on my meter! she had also lost a couple of pounds. She has continued low carb, is seeing steady weight loss, averaging 1lb per week, but is aware of fat melting away.
I suggested she ask for a new blood test to see if she could be reconsidered for her operation, after a bit of a battle, being told that it was a waste of time, despite being able to prove that her BG levels were improving they re tested her, proof provided, levels much improved and now within the range to be put back on the list for her operation, result.
Back to you, well done for taking the initiative to suggest we try and spread the word, count me in.
Brilliant news that you’re getting involved @jayney27 would be great to meet up with so many inspirational and supportive people

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We are going to have to book a venue at this rate.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@geefull and @eggs11 youre both doing amazingly well too - noticed in your inspirational before and after photos such astonishing progress. Wonder if either of you would be interested in this thread so tagging you in! Just for in case you haven’t spotted it.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant news that you’re getting involved @jayney27 would be great to meet up with so many inspirational and supportive people
Yes it would, to actually meet the lovely, helpful, friendly and supportive friends we have made, in person, would be amazing.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @DJC3 would be great to meet up with so many people we’ve got to know so well .....plus what an impact all of us together.

Yes what an impact we could all make together.

And I have to admit I am very excited at the prospect of meeting some of my heros!

geefull

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 thank you for tagging me :)

spreading the LCHF message and providing support? count me in :happy:

It would be lovely to meet up with some of you friendly and helpful folk too but I'm rather a long way away, 40 miles North of Inverness in the Highlands of Scotland, good thing we have the internet ;)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 thank you for tagging me :)

spreading the LCHF message and providing support? count me in :happy:

It would be lovely to meet up with some of you friendly and helpful folk too but I'm rather a long way away, 40 miles North of Inverness in the Highlands of Scotland, good thing we have the internet ;)
Gosh you really are northerly! Not really a day trip - and Birmingham wouldn’t be Central for you! As you say good job we’ve got the Internet to keep in touch. I’m sure you could be involved in the whole collective story though if you were keen even if you couldn’t practically get to an event in person. Your weight loss statistics and Hba1C are very impressive.
@Debandez would be good to look at having a wider group even if all couldn’t make the meet up for whatever reason.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh my word!!! What a great response!!! We are all very passionate about the cause and spreading the word. This is amazing. I'm over the moon. So...

I'm going to collate info first if all....names and journey details which I can get from info here and signatures. Any gaps can be filled in later. I could also look through at peoples status re reversed or remission and contact them to see if they would like to come on board. The more we have the more impact. Birmingham sounds good. There may even be a low carb/keto eating establishment where we can meet! But ideally we might be able to get our press office to take this up. They were the ones who initially contacted me after reading about my 3 stone weight loss. I've never done anything like this before and have no contacts apart from the journalist at the blackpool Gazette! Maybe our press office could contact This Morning who might be happy to highlight. Who knows where it might lead. But even if we just get to meet up ourselves the an afternoon that in itself would be amazing.

Has anyone any links to other diabetic forums where the lchf results speak volumes? We could join up for this one.

It's very exciting. Imagine how loud our voices will be together!!!

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Went to see Dn yesterday for INR check and she wanted to weigh me as she had not seen me last time. I have hit the 3 stone off mark:happy::singing::smug: and still got 2 weeks to go before MOT. That's in less than 3 months!! She was very pleased with the results and with my Bg levels (I took my chart in from June) She cant wait to see my HbA1c results!! Think we may have converted her to LCHF. She was a bit against it when I told her what I was doing, but I have proved it works.:happy:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Where you been? very quiet recently.. all ok I hope?

Hi @bulkbiker and thanks. All well.

On holiday! Currently in JFK airport awaiting my flight home and starting to catch up with the forum. Dropped in once or twice while away, but not for long. Just polished off eggs and bacon for breakfast.

Reactions: Debandez

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wondering if this all comes together if some notable people might be interested in joining us for our jamboree. Aseem Malhotra, Rangam Chatterjee, Zoe Harcombe, Dr. Unwin and others for instance.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for tagging me @shelley262. I'd be up for a meet up if I was free to come on the date proposed. :)
Brilliant I’m sure @Debandez will tag you in once she proposes a date. Don’t know If she’s going to suggest a few dates and then find out which one the most of us can make - it’s always hard with a group of people. Would be good to meet up with you though you’ve done so amazingly well.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant I’m sure @Debandez will tag you in once she proposes a date. Don’t know If she’s going to suggest a few dates and then find out which one the most of us can make - it’s always hard with a group of people. Would be good to meet up with you though you’ve done so amazingly well.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to everyone on this. I've had such a lot on and not had chance but I will be on it very soon. I haven't fallen off the face of the earth! Im getting quite a lot of interest after my article went out on how I lost the weight so trying to help where I can. It's all positive. Going to email our press office now to tell them what we propose doing. See what they come back with. Thursday I'm free to do some work on our idea. Thanks @shelley262 for spreading the word. Brilliant.