Spreading The Lchf Word Together, Maybe The Way Forward?

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Now I put ‘in remission’ on my profile as it was the closest I could find IMO to well controlled. I still take Metformin but although I’m looking to reduce it soon I won’t stop it all together, I like the other benefits, especially appetite suppression. So I don’t fit Prof Taylor’s criteria, however with HbA1cs consistently in the mid 30s I believe if I did come off it I’d remain well under his 48 threshold.
I felt the same. Chose in remission. After reading about Metformin I can see it has a lot of benefits. I chose not to accept the tablets to see if I could manage the condition without. I have been able to (so far). I completely understand why you want to continue taking them too. I have a thing about tablets in general after my daughter got drug induced lupus from taking minocin for teenage spots! But that's another story!!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I felt the same. Chose in remission. After reading about Metformin I can see it has a lot of benefits. I chose not to accept the tablets to see if I could manage the condition without. I have been able to (so far). I completely understand why you want to continue taking them too. I have a thing about tablets in general after my daughter got drug induced lupus from taking minocin for teenage spots! But that's another story!!

Sorry to hear about your daughter and I am trying to reduce my meds. count in other areas! I’ve already dropped one BP med, use my rescue inhaler less for asthma and I take less painkillers for my arthritis so it’s all progress :)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Now I put ‘in remission’ on my profile as it was the closest I could find IMO to well controlled. I still take Metformin but although I’m looking to reduce it soon I won’t stop it all together, I like the other benefits, especially appetite suppression. So I don’t fit Prof Taylor’s criteria, however with HbA1cs consistently in the mid 30s I believe if I did come off it I’d remain well under his 48 threshold.
Interesting isn’t it @Rachox notice on recruitment for dr Taylor’s trial they had a lower figure for suitability for trial if on meds whereas diet controlled higher than 48. Sure many had much higher levels than this but maybe there should besimilar differentiated levels for remission too ie if taking Metformin counts as remission at a slightly lower figure @nd quite clearly you hit the bar @nyway having hbaca1 in the low 30s the pills only help a bit I understand.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting isn’t it @Rachox notice on recruitment for dr Taylor’s trial they had a lower figure for suitability for trial if on meds whereas diet controlled higher than 48. Sure many had much higher levels than this but maybe there should besimilar differentiated levels for remission too ie if taking Metformin counts as remission at a slightly lower figure @nd quite clearly you hit the bar @nyway having hbaca1 in the low 30s the pills only help a bit I understand.
Thanks for that, I hadn’t noticed the criteria for those on one medication. The level mentioned is >43 so yes I’m happy to say I do fit :happy:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The sub 48 is also what Virta health use to define Reversed/Remission etc as well as Dr David Unwin so it seems to be getting overall acceptance.. even though I consider it a bit silly..

I didn't say I agreed with it, merely that it seems to be out there and being discussed in various fora and the Twittersphere.

I guess part of tha attraction is it's pretty easy (and cost-free) to assess, without additional, potentiallly costly additional tests.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That sounds like a plan. Thanks. Do you have a link to his terms of reference at all. I've had a quick Google but if you have a link that would be easier.

I picked it up, in a very succinct form, posted, if I recall correctly by LowCarbGP, and posted it on here, but trawling back through my inane post history would be a bore - especially as I posted a copied image, as opposed to copying the words.

I believe it's in the latest published results from his work with Prof Lean in Glasgow.

Forget all that blurb,................. What @bulkbiker said!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't say I agreed with it, merely that it seems to be out there and being discussed in various fora and the Twittersphere.

I guess part of tha attraction is it's pretty easy (and cost-free) to assess, without additional, potentiallly costly additional tests.
Sorry I wasn't having a go at you at all... I'm just very disappointed that they have set the bar so low for the definition. I would have hoped that a sub pre-diabetes level would have been the best place to aim for.. But unfortunately none of the big guns seem to agree..

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry I wasn't having a go at you at all... I'm just very disappointed that they have set the bar so low for the definition. I would have hoped that a sub pre-diabetes level would have been the best place to aim for.. But unfortunately none of the big guns seem to agree..

I'm guessing part of the issue is that pre-diabetes isn't really recognised as a treatable condition by most of the NHS at least, and is viewed more as a warning, or the waiting room.

Personally (and I stress the personally bit), it is only in recent times that there seems to have been any wider tolerance to discussions around remission/reversal/title of your choice actually taking place at all. In my view, it is only when more of those discussions take place is there likely to be any finessing of the definitions.

As I say, my personal viewpoint.

GrumpyOldPhart

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Love the idea of this: I'll check how much weight I can add to the campaign; I know I've gone from a 40" to a 32" waist in the 3 years and am back to the size I was when I joined the Army in 1980. My other mobility problems might possibly preclude me from travel from here in mid-Wales (things vary on a day to day basis), but at the very least I'll be with you in spirit!

Shirley N.

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not being able to walk in the Dales any more. Not being able to eat some of my favourite foods any more.
I agree with you about the need for blood glucose testing strips and lancets being available free on the NHS to all Type 2 diabetics and borderline pre-diabetics, say Hba1c over 42, like myself (last Hba1c 47) who want to monitor the response of their blood sugars to their diet like I do. I have asked my MP to take this matter up with the Health Department.

I have been pre-diabetic for several years. For the last 18 months I have been following a low carbohydrate high fat diet (50 - 70 g carbohydrate) with mixed success. I have lost at least 14 kg in weight (it was off the scales) and my blood pressure is the lowest it has been for 25 years, (I am 69). I hope to have to reduce my medication for this soon. My pre-diabetes fluctuates and is only kept in check by adhering strictly to the diet. For the last few weeks I have been weighing and working out my carbohydrate intake to the gram and measuring my blood glucose before (and after meals, when I remember). I am amazed how sensitive my body is to tiny amounts of carbohydrate. Probably, I would have been diagnosed with diabetes Type 2 years ago, if I liked eating sweet things. And I have always liked the taste of fatty meat, pork especially.

Naturally, I am anxious about my future as my grandmother died of the condition aged 77.

My GP originally simply told me I had to try to lose weight. He is now quietly supportive of the unorthodox way I am achieving this.

Shirley N.

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not being able to walk in the Dales any more. Not being able to eat some of my favourite foods any more.
Why does this site delete all copies when I try to remove any duplicates?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why does this site delete all copies when I try to remove any duplicates?
You have been posting the same thing over and over. Duplicates are confusing and therefore not allowed.
Edit to add, there is one copy left, post #90

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Everyone, firstly a MASSIVE THANKS for all your input. I've just read all the comments again tonight to refresh my memory. Amazing feedback which has spurred me on even more. But that's all I would ever expect from this fantastic forum and it's totally awesome members.

I have an update for you. I have been doing a little work behind the scenes with help from @Rachox and @shelley262 and have some BRILLIANT news.

I told the press team at Diabetes.co.uk that in just a week I had received an amazing response and once the word spreads I'm positive we will get even more on board.

DIABETES.CO.UK PRESS OFFICE ARE RIGHT BEHIND US TAKING THIS IDEA FORWARD (DCUKMOD LIKENED IT TO A 'MOVEMENT' - I LOVE THAT AS IT IMPLIES THINGS MIGHT CHANGE) AND WANT TO HELP US COORDINATE AN EVENT.

I did say I could take photos with my new brilliant Samsung s9 and selfie stick (you would be surprised just how many people you can get in the picture with these!) but thankfully they have an inhouse videography team who can do the filming and photography at the event (but it's always good to have a plan B!).

They will also make contact with the press to see who they can get there. This would be great for spreading the low carb word.

WHERE

I confirmed our preference for a meeting point would be Birmingham as this would be central for anyone commuting and this suits them also which is great.

WHEN

We discussed a dates and it seems weekends work well for them and Saturday the 29th September has been provisionally agreed. This gives us over 2 months to get an agenda together. This is a team effort and please FEEL FREE TO THROW IDEAS IN THE POT. September was the month suggested by our press team and 29th was most suitable date.

WHO

Wouldn't it be great to open the event up to all members, anyone who wants to attend. Not just people who have managed to reverse their condition, put it into remission, are controlling well, but also those who haven't yet achieved all their goals and are a work in progress. Or anyone who just wants to learn or feel a bit inspired. Or just come along to support. Also for those that can't make it they can add input, provide before and after photos, write down their personal journeys. We may have a board there to pin things on with any luck. Friends and family. Maybe even the public??!!

EMINENT FIGURES??

I'm thinking Dr David Unwin is a local GP (North West) and we could invite him along. Maybe he might do a short talk! (I can dream). Other names have been mentioned, Dr Michael Mosley, Aseem Malhotra, Rangam Chattergee and Zoe Harcombe. But there are many others. All very busy people no doubt but you don't ask you don't get my mum used to say.

THE AGENDA

• We could make a day of it or at least half a day!
  • Already I have volunteers who are going to bake cakes (low carb obviously)
  • Maybe we could print off some popular recipes to have as handouts? as well as other info handouts that might be helpful.
  • No eating until after the photoshoot of course (teehee)! Anyone that can come with their old clothes that are too big would be great, we can change in the loo for a BIG photo (pun intended).
  • How about a cardboard cutout of some kind volunteer. A before cut out. For them to stand next to for photo. I've seen this done but not sure how doable this is expense wise.
  • Before and after photo section
  • Keynote speaker kicking things off with summary of weight loss/HBA1c levels and a little about the LCHF woe. Explanation of how much sugar is in every day foods (many of my friends have been totally shocked when I tell them sugar is in particular foods ie potatoes, rice, pasta bread etc. Education required. I was in the dark before my diagnosis. Maybe look at the eat well plate? Maybe graphs (dojn't even ask me but there are members who love a graph and a spreadsheet! You know who you are).
  • Flip charts (am I getting carried away here?)
  • section on finger pricking and how important it is for BS management - self funding issues - low incomes/benefits - suggestion that they need to be given to anyone with HBA1c over 41 - expensive at the outset but could save NHS millions - we can confirm the freebies details on info sheets, could we get those companies behind us - discounted strips etc
  • more advice to be given at the outset as to the possible complications of BS when not controlled. No emphasis out on this at the moment and people just think that the tablet will sort the problem
  • talk a little about cholesterol and the effects the HF part of this diet can have

The above are just thoughts. Please feel free to add your own thoughts. I have never done anything like this before and it is a learning curve.

Not sure where this will lead but even if it just ends up with us having a big meeting that in itself is an enormous positive. We can actually meet the people who have helped and inspired us over the weeks/months and even years.

tagging in other interested parties for info - @xfieldok @bigsi1984 @carol43 @Mbaker @NicoleC1971 @DCUKMod @smw99 @Crocodile @Resurgam @bulkbiker @Tipetoo @Goonergal @Guzzler @jayney27 @DJC3 @ianpspurs @Terrytiddy @geefull @eggs11 @HSSS @rainbow79 @GrumpyOldPhart @Shirley N.

PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD FAR AND WIDE - THANKS

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU CAN ATTEND OR IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO PUT SOME INPUT TO THE MEETING NO MATTER HOW BIG OR SMALL.

IT TAKES A LONG TIME TO TURN THE TITANIC BUT WE MIGHT BE ABLE TO GIVE IT A NUDGE IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.

Debra

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow you’ve done lot of work. It sounds great. I guess the attendees dictate what the agenda should be and pitched at what level so maybe deciding that is the starting point. Venues I guess also depend on numbers.

Food samples as well as menus?

As far as asking the prominent people why not ask. The worst is they can’t come and just maybe some will.

As so many will have to travel I think making the most of the event is worthwhile. Offer up as much as possible. I for one would make it an overnight.

No idea how I can help, especially being new but am willing. but whatever you need put it out here and hopefully it’ll get an offer

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Woo hoo! It’s fantastic seeing it all written down!
I’ll be along with a low carb carrot cake, I don’t mind staying overnight either before or after to help set up or clear up afterwards. This is so exciting, I might just have to change my Avatar to the real me or no one will recognise me! :joyful:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ll be along with a low carb carrot cake, I don’t mind staying overnight either before or after to help set up or clear up afterwards. This is so exciting, I might just have to change my Avatar to the real me or no one will recognise me! :joyful:
You crack me up! You are so funny!!! I see you dangling the carrot there trying to drum up interest (see what I did there!!). I will bring the double cream and big spoons!!! Thanks for all your help. Let's see where it takes us. Exciting.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Suggest we make name tags along with our usernames, it will make life a lot easier.

Reactions: DJC3