Suspected gallbladder problem due to losing weight too quickly?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Humf.
Looks like I have a suspected gallbladder problem due to losing 3.5st in 10months. :(

I just cannot win with my health!!!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Humf.
Looks like I have a suspected gallbladder problem due to losing 3.5st in 10months. :(

I just cannot win with my health!!!

Has a doctor told you your weight loss is the cause, or are you assuming?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh no! :arghh: Are you getting bad symptoms? Maybe they can pop it out when you have your gastric surgery? One thing I don’t have to worry about, mine was removed in 2000, a very simple op.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Has a doctor told you your weight loss is the cause, or are you assuming?
Reading up on gallbladder and duct blockages from calcium/cholesterol and other causes.
All data states severe weight loss CAN SOMETIMES cause bile which is made by the liver to interrupt its natural process and cause a blockage or stones.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Oh no! :arghh: Are you getting bad symptoms? Maybe they can pop it out when you have your gastric surgery? One thing I don’t have to worry about, mine was removed in 2000, a very simple op.
I'm so thankful you'll be ok. :)

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ickihun you need to see doctor if you suspect gallbladder problem. The pain from mine was triggered after eating food with high fat content.

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my Gall Bladder (complete with stones.) was removed here in Bangkok the surgeon gave me a photo which showed it was Gangrenous as well

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reading up on gallbladder and duct blockages from calcium/cholesterol and other causes.
All data states severe weight loss CAN SOMETIMES cause bile which is made by the liver to interrupt its natural process and cause a blockage or stones.

I'm not convinced your 3.5stone weight loss in 10 months was severe. The normal recommended weekly amount to lose is 2lbs a week and you lost a bit less than that, so although an excellent weight loss (well done) I doubt you could call it severe.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
After starting LCHF I saw a dramatic and swift loss of weight that ended up with becoming concerning because I crossed the threshhold into the underweight category within a matter of weeks. I think that your steady weight loss over ten months was far better than mine.

Reactions: ickihun

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't blame the wait loss (well done, by the way), many people get gall-bladder problems, so might be just bad luck. My doctor told me they say the main factors are Female, Forty and Fat (I scored 2 out of 3, as I wasn't yet 40 when my gall bladder got infected due to a stone), but he also told me many people who don't have these risk-factors get stones.

Of course you don't want to be operated twice, but I promise you you'll feel much better after you got rid of the d**n thing!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@ickihun you need to see doctor if you suspect gallbladder problem. The pain from mine was triggered after eating food with high fat content.
Thanks @mo53. Seeing GP and back on Thursday as still got a temperature. Have been advised to reduce co-codamol. I'm still taking laxative that a&e prescribed. Constipation has been resolved on it.
My blood pressure is still up.
Awaiting a scan which GP has arranged. Chest pain again but maybe worry as they checked my heart. Congestion even thou on maximum asthma inhalers. I'm a mess.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm not convinced your 3.5stone weight loss in 10 months was severe. The normal recommended weekly amount to lose is 2lbs a week and you lost a bit less than that, so although an excellent weight loss (well done) I doubt you could call it severe.
I'd call it necessary but being honest I cannot duplicate the conditions i used. Not even convinced my own doing. I was losing over nothing and out of the blue. Everyone was surprised.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I wouldn't blame the wait loss (well done, by the way), many people get gall-bladder problems, so might be just bad luck. My doctor told me they say the main factors are Female, Forty and Fat (I scored 2 out of 3, as I wasn't yet 40 when my gall bladder got infected due to a stone), but he also told me many people who don't have these risk-factors get stones.

Of course you don't want to be operated twice, but I promise you you'll feel much better after you got rid of the d**n thing!
It could be because I have come off orilstat. Ive read a great tablet at keeping stones at bay whilst losing weight.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I wasnt planning bariatric surgery til June. I may have to bring it forward or back. If need be. :(
Id best buy my new nightwear sooner rather than later, need new slippers too.
I just dont want it a rush and want to be in as much control as possible.
I havent met my surgeon yet.

I'd consider postponing if it stops all this pain.
My back has been in agony for 2yrs.
Physio has said it's bulging discs.... Is it?

Maybe I'll be able to walk independently again?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It could be because I have come off orilstat.
Or it might be just coincidence. I'll keep my fingers crossed for both your op's happening soon, smooth and with speedy recovery!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Or it might be just coincidence. I'll keep my fingers crossed for both your op's happening soon, smooth and with speedy recovery!
Thanks @Antje77 .
I don't suppose this pain can settle down and then not problem til bariatric op and done together? Or too risky?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Antje77 .
I don't suppose this pain can settle down and then not problem til bariatric op and done together? Or too risky?
I would go for what your surgeon advises in this case.
With me, the pain from the gallstone came and went every few weeks for about 4 years. It hurt for 4 to 6 hours, mostly at night, and had vanished by the time I saw a gp. Until it got infected and I ended up with a very high fever and lots of pain. I then had to wait 6 weeks until the infection got better so that they could operate without trying to find their way in swollen, infected tissue.
Turned out it was still infected when they did the op, so they had to cut off a piece of my liver to be able to reach my gall bladder. (Yes, that shocked me, but they told me it would just grow back, so I suppose it did)
I still got to go home the same day (after a bit of a struggle) and went for a week long sailing trip two days later (not advisable but it was a great trip). Took about a week until I could do almost anything I could before. And I eat anything I ate before without problems.
No idea if this information is useful to you, but I'm not a doctor and I've no clue about any risks, so I thought I'd tell you how it went for me. Personally, I'd want to get rid of a hurting galbladder as soon as it started hurting, the pain is horrible.

Reactions: DJC3

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Sorry to hear that, I have my gall bladder still and luckily have had no stones.
Am always here for you

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I would go for what your surgeon advises in this case.
With me, the pain from the gallstone came and went every few weeks for about 4 years. It hurt for 4 to 6 hours, mostly at night, and had vanished by the time I saw a gp. Until it got infected and I ended up with a very high fever and lots of pain. I then had to wait 6 weeks until the infection got better so that they could operate without trying to find their way in swollen, infected tissue.
Turned out it was still infected when they did the op, so they had to cut off a piece of my liver to be able to reach my gall bladder. (Yes, that shocked me, but they told me it would just grow back, so I suppose it did)
I still got to go home the same day (after a bit of a struggle) and went for a week long sailing trip two days later (not advisable but it was a great trip). Took about a week until I could do almost anything I could before. And I eat anything I ate before without problems.
No idea if this information is useful to you, but I'm not a doctor and I've no clue about any risks, so I thought I'd tell you how it went for me. Personally, I'd want to get rid of a hurting galbladder as soon as it started hurting, the pain is horrible.
Very Very helpful @Antje77. Thank you.
I want it sorted but a bit scared.