Suspected gallbladder problem due to losing weight too quickly?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Sorry to hear that, I have my gall bladder still and luckily have had no stones.
Am always here for you
Thanks @ally1.
Is it OK to pm you tomorrow? Totally exhausted... Off to bed for my sleep til 3am. Hopefully.
Are you still up early too?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would go for what your surgeon advises in this case.
With me, the pain from the gallstone came and went every few weeks for about 4 years. It hurt for 4 to 6 hours, mostly at night, and had vanished by the time I saw a gp. Until it got infected and I ended up with a very high fever and lots of pain. I then had to wait 6 weeks until the infection got better so that they could operate without trying to find their way in swollen, infected tissue.
Turned out it was still infected when they did the op, so they had to cut off a piece of my liver to be able to reach my gall bladder. (Yes, that shocked me, but they told me it would just grow back, so I suppose it did)
I still got to go home the same day (after a bit of a struggle) and went for a week long sailing trip two days later (not advisable but it was a great trip). Took about a week until I could do almost anything I could before. And I eat anything I ate before without problems.
No idea if this information is useful to you, but I'm not a doctor and I've no clue about any risks, so I thought I'd tell you how it went for me. Personally, I'd want to get rid of a hurting galbladder as soon as it started hurting, the pain is horrible.

My experience was similar to yours but I escaped infection luckily. I spent hours at night in hot baths trying to get relief. My pains started when I was pregnant with my daughter. Drs of course said it was because I was pregnant but I wasn’t convinced as I hadn’t had any thing like it with my son three years before. The episodic pains continued after my daughter was born and I finally got mine taken out when my daughter was 17 months old! My gall bladder was absolutely full of ‘gravel’ apparently.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My experience was similar to yours but I escaped infection luckily. I spent hours at night in hot baths trying to get relief. My pains started when I was pregnant with my daughter. Drs of course said it was because I was pregnant but I wasn’t convinced as I hadn’t had any thing like it with my son three years before. The episodic pains continued after my daughter was born and I finally got mine taken out when my daughter was 17 months old! My gall bladder was absolutely full of ‘gravel’ apparently.
In the end, I was happy with the infection. Otherwise it could have taken years to find out what was wrong.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I want it sorted but a bit scared.
Scared is fine, you're to have an operation, of course you're scared. But both the scared and the pain will be gone after the op, so waiting only gives you more hours of scared and pain, Why not get get it over with it as soon as they let you and move on!
Sleep well!

Reactions: ickihun

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In the end, I was happy with the infection. Otherwise it could have taken years to find out what was wrong.
Indeed, I suppose I might have got a scan sooner if I’d got an infection.

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Was that recently?
Over Xmas about 4 yrs. ago I was in pain and went to Hospital took them many tests to find what was wrong. In the old days they use to dissolve Gall Stones with Medicine told they do not do this anymore not sure why or if true.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Scared is fine, you're to have an operation, of course you're scared. But both the scared and the pain will be gone after the op, so waiting only gives you more hours of scared and pain, Why not get get it over with it as soon as they let you and move on!
Sleep well!
GP send give it a weekwfor antibiotics to work. I'm crossing my fingers.. . And toes. Scan in 2wks.

Reactions: Antje77

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@Antje77 and @ally1 i'm just back from a&e again due to suspected chest infection. I called GP this morning and told him I was struggling to breath through the night and this morning with lung pain and chest pain. He advised i attended a&e for a x-ray due to diabetes.
I had a lovely nurse and junior doctor then a locum ward doctor after test results.
He suspects muscular pain causing my lung pain as ecg clear and x-ray was clear.
He has prescribed pregabalin 50mg 3 times a day.. for a month. On top of buscupan and antibiotics from friday gp for a week. Codeine is not working so it's been stopped again.
I feel like I've been trampled on by a horse. A&E Dr believes i've had an infection but not enough to be picked up and suffering a virus now.
I'm back home and hoping for a decent night sleep. Fingers crossed.
He advised scan should still happen via GP.

Thank you both for your contribution on this thread.
All members. Thank you.

I'm praying I'm going to get relief. So desperate for pain relief.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
@Antje77 and @ally1 i'm just back from a&e again due to suspected chest infection. I called GP this morning and told him I was struggling to breath through the night and this morning with lung pain and chest pain. He advised i attended a&e for a x-ray due to diabetes.
I had a lovely nurse and junior doctor then a locum ward doctor after test results.
He suspects muscular pain causing my lung pain as ecg clear and x-ray was clear.
He has prescribed pregabalin 50mg 3 times a day.. for a month. On top of buscupan and antibiotics from friday gp for a week. Codeine is not working so it's been stopped again.
I feel like I've been trampled on by a horse. A&E Dr believes i've had an infection but not enough to be picked up and suffering a virus now.
I'm back home and hoping for a decent night sleep. Fingers crossed.
He advised scan should still happen via GP.

Thank you both for your contribution on this thread.
All members. Thank you.

I'm praying I'm going to get relief. So desperate for pain relief.
Am so glad you went to hospital, hoping the new painkillers help you.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Because of no codeine I'm back to loose tummy again. Humf!
Mind you pregabalin takes 2weeks to settle in so I may be ok after that.

Will the antibiotic be less effective because of loose tummy?
Only have 2days left to take.

I'm praying no gallbladder problem confirmed or anything sinister and was just a minor infection which antibiotics can banish.
Still in pelvic pain and back pain but less in lungs. I can breath but just wheezing. Not starting my morning med routine yet.. Its nice to have a breather from it all.
I wonder if that's why im awake through the night as only time I can think clearly and unhampered by family needs and hospital appointments?
Enjoying the peace and quiet with snow surrounding the bungalow. Warm and cosy typing and reading. :) :) :)

Maybe I don't have gallbladder problem? Just spasms internally from muscle stain of carrying this heavy body of mine. Roll on bariatric surgery. :)
Ive been heavier than I am now without all these hindrances.
Stupid bulging disc has really messed me up. Or whatever my back problem is?

I would have been mini jogging and swimming lengths. Cycling too if bike refurbished fully to start it again. I was swimming 3times a week and had just started showing son mini jogging. Then bang my back problem progressed to agony in walking. :(
Could my back pain be off gallbladder area problem too. Let's see what my GP says on friday. No sign of scan appointment yet. Apparently hospital unit will post it out.
I always thought i got a print out from GP about the booking?
I think nhs changes things from one minute to the next. I cannot keep up with their procedures.
I'm booked for blood test for hba1c today at 1pm but no vains left not bruised. I might call the practice this morning for advice. Someone else may need my blood test appointment more til my vains heal.
I can walk in snow but not once it ices over on wednesday. Thursday's appointment for suspected autistic 4yr old is going to be tricky. I'm going to try my hardest to attend for him. 10yr old is looking forward to not dressing up for world book day. He's like a teenager at mo.

I hope scan comes back clear but only if pain has been resolved thou.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Over Xmas about 4 yrs. ago I was in pain and went to Hospital took them many tests to find what was wrong. In the old days they use to dissolve Gall Stones with Medicine told they do not do this anymore not sure why or if true.
I read it can take 2yrs to dissolve some stones but still not hugely effective.
My partner read somewhere soundwaves at a high frequency can break them down too. Rather than the 2yrs of tablets.
However nhs doesnt do it like that it seems. Well I couldnt see it on the net via nhs.

Im just praying no op til bariatric one.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I read it can take 2yrs to dissolve some stones but still not hugely effective.
My partner read somewhere soundwaves at a high frequency can break them down too. Rather than the 2yrs of tablets.
However nhs doesnt do it like that it seems. Well I couldnt see it on the net via nhs.

Im just praying no op til bariatric one.
Ickihun, are you still doing your low fat way of eating?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Ickihun, are you still doing your low fat way of eating?
Yes. No orilstat any more thou. Not ultra fat free diet thou but no nuts, cheese, cream and very little milk. No yoguarts or fruit. IveI noticed white bread either blocks me up or gives me loose tum so no bread. Not even protein bread. Ive eaten porridge lately as ran out of eggs.
Having stir-fry, omelette, Mackerel and chicken. Veg with something else when bored.
A few weeks back i ate more cereal as was hungry and was awaitng a grocery shops. I'd ran out of everything.
Chicken and veg tonight. Omelette for lunch as just had mackerel for breakfast. Quite boring but stops hunger and high bgs. I will do something with ham tomorrow. For fresh air and a little shop in a mo. Mr ickihun with me.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes. No orilstat any more thou. Not ultra fat free diet thou but no nuts, cheese, cream and very little milk. No yoguarts or fruit. IveI noticed white bread either blocks me up or gives me loose tum so no bread. Not even protein bread. Ive eaten porridge lately as ran out of eggs.
Having stir-fry, omelette, Mackerel and chicken. Veg with something else when bored.
A few weeks back i ate more cereal as was hungry and was awaitng a grocery shops. I'd ran out of everything.
Chicken and veg tonight. Omelette for lunch as just had mackerel for breakfast. Quite boring but stops hunger and high bgs. I will do something with ham tomorrow. For fresh air and a little shop in a mo. Mr ickihun with me.

Thankfully, I don't have personal experience of gallstones, but it was reading something on the ND yesterday that awakened the thought that a certain amount of dietary fat is important to gallbladder health.

I seem to recall after the very first ND trial, Professor Taylor added in a tablespoon (or it may have been two, but don't quote me on that) of olive oil to help keeping gallstones at bay.

It could be worthwhile googling something like "does low fat diet cause gallstones".

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thankfully, I don't have personal experience of gallstones, but it was reading something on the ND yesterday that awakened the thought that a certain amount of dietary fat is important to gallbladder health.

I seem to recall after the very first ND trial, Professor Taylor added in a tablespoon (or it may have been two, but don't quote me on that) of olive oil to help keeping gallstones at bay.

It could be worthwhile googling something like "does low fat diet cause gallstones".
Orilstat tablets can prevent gallstones but new med has big problems with orilstat.
Luckily I stopped them last month with metformin side affects I was washed away. Maybe why this viral infection and bacterial one now. :(
Dietican has just wrote to say I've stopped orilstat but happy with her noted total 22kg loss. Cc to my dr and my bariatric team.

For someone like me who has meds which gain weight and a underactive thyroid my loss may be classed as too quick. Compared to those with only diabetes not on insulin or meds which don't add weight. Or no underactive thyroid.
I know for nhs ivf I was allowed to be 15.5st. Pre diagnosed diabetes and not allowed metformin for pcos.
Pcos gains my weight too.
Lots go against me losing weight but miraculously I did.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

I found

"But there's just one problem with this: high fat diets don't cause gallstones or any other gallbladder problems, andlow-fat diets are not a solution. In this study, researchers found that higher-fat diets actually prevented gallstoneformation during weight loss."
Paleoleap. Com

Very interesting quote.
So low fat doesnt help either way.
Where's my bacon fat?

Just had a crusty white roll with fried egg and my tummy has extended uncomfortably again. I cannot eat bread any more. It makes me ill.

I discovered this morning my chest pain is muscular. I cannot pull anything.
I cannot remember straining myself either.

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Just an update.
GP put me on a second course of antibiotics friday via telephone appointment due to bad weather. Continued the buscupan too. He advised codeine for pain or ibuprofen. I tried ibuprofen but still had bad back pain so added co-codemol without constipation. Bought more ibuprofen and fibrogel just incase pain relief needs to be stronger on more walking and constipation threat.

Currently having no spasms on these meds and just sore to touch right-side rib and below rib. No longer have clay colour poo either but maybe due to celebrating chocolate cake for 4 birthdays this week.
I'm much more relaxed and experiencing less pain on regular painkillers.
Sleeping for longer than 3-4hr now too. I got 6hrs last night. :)