T1 food.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Where are you getting that from - is it cooked? I have them as 7.5g~/100g frozen, 9.0g~/100g cooked (though I usually weigh 'em frozen).
Google search
Total Fat 0.4 g 0%
Saturated fat 0.1 g 0%
Polyunsaturated fat 0.2 g
Monounsaturated fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 5 mg 0%
Potassium 244 mg 6%
Total Carbohydrate 14 g 4%
Dietary fiber 5 g 20%
Sugar 6 g
Protein 5 g 10%
I remember 'petit pois' showing less carbs on the freezer packets than peas, not something I often eat but do like 'sugar snap peas' fresh, I was just making the point that you'd (or I'd) not expect so many carbs in them and if on a low carb diet/little insulin they could cause one of those spikes where you scratch your head wondering on the cause, or maybe not :)

Reactions: Dixon1995

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers Kev :) for the pea sized heads up, get it?

Ill leave this way

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have struggled for years wanting to be slimmer, try really hard for low carb meals and go to health club for exercise 4 times a week / 6-8 hrs but still no ongoing weight loss! Using Omnipod Diabetic 53 years. Any advice? Hypos occur but managed quickly with minimal glucose drink or jelly baby -3 .

Reactions: Alison54321

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Google search
I remember 'petit pois' showing less carbs on the freezer packets than peas, not something I often eat but do like 'sugar snap peas' fresh, I was just making the point that you'd (or I'd) not expect so many carbs in them and if on a low carb diet/little insulin they could cause one of those spikes where you scratch your head wondering on the cause, or maybe not :)
I use petits pois.

Reactions: kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I took a pic of last nights tea, another south American sauce, but it looks the same as previous meals so I didn't post it, I had the 4 fishcake, spud salad veg and houmous for tea tonight which was nice, my local supermarket's run out of affordable nice tuna chunk tins of 160g so I cracked and bought peanuts at the little ones insistence as I had tuna flakes for lunch and the chilli didn't hide the taste :(

Reactions: db89 and LooperCat

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have struggled for years wanting to be slimmer, try really hard for low carb meals and go to health club for exercise 4 times a week / 6-8 hrs but still no ongoing weight loss! Using Omnipod Diabetic 53 years. Any advice? Hypos occur but managed quickly with minimal glucose drink or jelly baby -3 .

53 years is very impressive. In weight terms where are you starting from, and where do you want to get to? I have a few bad habits that I know will push my weight up a bit. I think the advice, generally, is to lose weight by switching to a diet that is sustainable over the longer term.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@kev-w Have loved this thread which I spent half an hour scrolling through and reading. Refreshing to see someone not eating low carb, but still doing well. We tend to get swamped on this forum by type 2s who don’t really have an option. Your HBA1c is impressive and you are still on the ball with your levels. Plus aware of the advantages of slow release carbs. Refreshing!

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sunday dinner, Lidl lasagne @ 10g carbs/100g & 7g protein, so a kg of that sat on top of drizzled Nandos hot sauce with fresh steamed veg, 8u Humalog but I may need a couple more u later on, or a Kit Kat.

photo.JPG

xxgeorgiexx

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast, standard porridge pot and hard boiled eggs @ around 55g carbs all in, low fat mayo with chilli sauce for the eggs and 2.5u Humalog
View attachment 28604
Replacement micro cooks a little faster if you're wondering about the pebble dash porridge pot :)

Hi, sorry this is a bit off topic, and dont know if i am picking you up wrong, but are you able to take 1/2 units of humalog? Am still pretty new to this, but think i am getting a handle on things, but i am only on 1 unit for every 20 carbs and the ability to take half a unit would make trying to keep my levels kinda even a whole lot better.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@kev-w Have loved this thread which I spent half an hour scrolling through and reading. Refreshing to see someone not eating low carb, but still doing well. We tend to get swamped on this forum by type 2s who don’t really have an option. Your HBA1c is impressive and you are still on the ball with your levels. Plus aware of the advantages of slow release carbs. Refreshing!

Well said, Becca. The forum is a useful resource, but for newly dx'd T1s, it can be difficult for them to sift out the stuff aimed at T1s and the stuff aimed at T2s.

It continues to amaze me that people who have never injected in their entire lifes will tell a newly dx'd T1 that they should immediately rule out an entire food group.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tonight I used up some items and cooked them in the wok. Bacon, chickpeas, cherry tomatoes, spinach, a little garlic and white wine vinegar. A modest 21g carbs and at 4.2 before hand so just 0.5u to cover it.
fc38e2b327b8d11a3090deedc4f07a1f.jpg

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, sorry this is a bit off topic, and dont know if i am picking you up wrong, but are you able to take 1/2 units of humalog? Am still pretty new to this, but think i am getting a handle on things, but i am only on 1 unit for every 20 carbs and the ability to take half a unit would make trying to keep my levels kinda even a whole lot better.
There are .5u pens available, I'm assuming your GP has given you a test meter and a repeat prescription for test strips? And if new learn the different forms of carbs bearing in mind that low(er) carbing being your best option, meals I'm posting are a big no I'm afraid but food By Mel dCP and db89 above would suit your condition better.

Tonights meal required a Kit Kat correction after all, which surprised me but I'd dropped to 4.4 with a little insulin left just then, I'm expecting a slow rise shortly from the pasta when the fast acting's finished. I don't eat pasta much and prefer took to whole-wheat when I do, but that allows me to cool and reheat it, tonight's tea was just processed food with more fat than I prefer to eat. I'll eat that maybe 4 times a year.

I've never been on any food or diabetes courses and it's my 34th diaversary this month, I was an apprentice fitter/machinist when diagnosed, banished to the push bike from my Vespa for a few winter months for 07.30 starts, licence to be returned once stable makes a kind of horse noise a change in household diet for Kev saw the reintroduction of boiled tripe on a Thursday as it's got no sugar in it, soon saw me learn to cook as my dad didn't want to eat what I ate, or that was my blag anyway...

I was 17 then, I'm 51 now, I learned carbs from trial and error, I've awoken at points between 27 and 1.9 in that time, mostly but not all self inflicted and I mostly learn from my mistakes, testing is key, learn you, learn what happens, what you do next, what happens then, see the patterns and learn to work with them...

It's never going to be perfect, a 100 years back we were already dead :p but it's a lot better than it was, even in in the short time I've had the infliction :) it'll get me one day probably, and if it doesn't then something else will....

acdbf6885f94108f751991cee58de435.jpg

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Sunday dinner of toad in the hole at the teenager’s request, I made two different versions of the whole meal. Traditional meaty sausages with the usual batter and roasted onion gravy for the boys, with roasted root veg.

This is mine - vegan Tofurkey sausages, a batter made from coconut flour, baking powder, eggs and almond milk and a mushroom gravy and roasted broccoli and aubergine. The meal came in at 17g carbs (1.55u insulin) and the little bit the boys tried said it was nearly as good as theirs :smug:

9C1BF297-996F-4622-A2BF-C09407E365DD.jpeg

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In the name of honesty I'll come back to note that that last meal is now off the menu, last time I ate it I was using Lantus and Humalog and it worked out or just about, last night gave me a late rise and the subsequent correction caused a hypo, it was a treat in the name of gluttony, and at 100g carbs fell in to what I will eat but as we know, not all 'carbs' are equal, on a happier note Morrisons 'best' lasagne is 300g lighter with around 40g less carbs as there's fewer layers of pasta in that one.

Lesson learnt....

Last edited:
Reactions: LooperCat

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sunday dinner of toad in the hole at the teenager’s request, I made two different versions of the whole meal. Traditional meaty sausages with the usual batter and roasted onion gravy for the boys, with roasted root veg.

This is mine - vegan Tofurkey sausages, a batter made from coconut flour, baking powder, eggs and almond milk and a mushroom gravy and roasted broccoli and aubergine. The meal came in at 17g carbs (1.55u insulin) and the little bit the boys tried said it was nearly as good as theirs :smug:

Nice! Is the batter any good, or has it got a funny taste?

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No discernible coconut flavour, I used plenty of S&P though!

Yay! I was hoping someone would mention seasoning

Has anyone used this amazing product to make food taste better! Ive been using it to season my boring vegies for years :D

herbamare-uk-250g.png

Its! Well... salt, but not any ordinary salt

xxgeorgiexx

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There are .5u pens available, I'm assuming your GP has given you a test meter and a repeat prescription for test strips? And if new learn the different forms of carbs bearing in mind that low(er) carbing being your best option, meals I'm posting are a big no I'm afraid but food By Mel dCP and db89 above would suit your condition better.

Tonights meal required a Kit Kat correction after all, which surprised me but I'd dropped to 4.4 with a little insulin left just then, I'm expecting a slow rise shortly from the pasta when the fast acting's finished. I don't eat pasta much and prefer took to whole-wheat when I do, but that allows me to cool and reheat it, tonight's tea was just processed food with more fat than I prefer to eat. I'll eat that maybe 4 times a year.

I've never been on any food or diabetes courses and it's my 34th diaversary this month, I was an apprentice fitter/machinist when diagnosed, banished to the push bike from my Vespa for a few winter months for 07.30 starts, licence to be returned once stable makes a kind of horse noise a change in household diet for Kev saw the reintroduction of boiled tripe on a Thursday as it's got no sugar in it, soon saw me learn to cook as my dad didn't want to eat what I ate, or that was my blag anyway...

I was 17 then, I'm 51 now, I learned carbs from trial and error, I've awoken at points between 27 and 1.9 in that time, mostly but not all self inflicted and I mostly learn from my mistakes, testing is key, learn you, learn what happens, what you do next, what happens then, see the patterns and learn to work with them...

It's never going to be perfect, a 100 years back we were already dead :p but it's a lot better than it was, even in in the short time I've had the infliction :) it'll get me one day probably, and if it doesn't then something else will....

acdbf6885f94108f751991cee58de435.jpg

Thanks for coming back to me, definitely one to ask my nurse on next visit. Dont worry, i wont be following your diet (dont get me wrong, everything looks yummy, but i would put on 20 stone within a month!), i just really liked what you had to say and was refreshing to hear from another t1 who wasnt pushing carb free onto anyone

Reactions: Alison54321

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Reminder to self to stay away from this thread before mealtimes, this has got my tummy rumbling !!