Test Strips stopped

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
I have rang today for my repeat prescription and been told that a blanket instruction has been given by the PCT to stop test strips for Type 2's. My DN says its out of her hands and agrees with me that it's rediculous.

She has suggested that I appeal to the PCT directly.

It feels like they are snubbing me for doing so well with my BG Control. I am absolutly gutted and worried what to do next. I have a few days of strips left and I suppose then I will have to go and pay for them at the chemist.

Its surely so short sighted long term by the PCT as I am more likely to have poor BG control and long term 'expensive' health problems.

C

catherinecherub

I would follow what your nurse has said and appeal to the PCT. You have improved your management with test strips, they are pleased with your results and now you have to go it alone. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. They could have given you fewer strips now that you are in control but you still need to test on occasions.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
You should take a read of this Government response to a recent petition about SMBG and Test Strips.
The last paragraph may help you in your quest for a better response. The whole thing is on the No10 downing street website in petitions section.

Government response
Every person with diabetes is different and their clinical condition and personal situation changes throughout their life. If a person has diabetes, it is central to his or her care that they receive the most appropriate advice to help them manage their condition. However, the Department of Health does not provide specific dietary advice to people with diabetes.

The Department of Health wants people to know that they can change their lifestyle and make a difference to their health. This is achieved by giving the public clear and consistent messages on why they should change their lifestyle, and what they can do to make this easier.

The self-monitoring of blood glucose (SMBG) in the management of non-insulin treated Type 2 diabetes is the subject of a recently published report from NHS Diabetes. It recommends that in keeping with the National Institute of Health and Clinical Excellence guidance (CG87), SMBG should only be provided routinely to people with Type 2 diabetes who are not treated with insulin or sulphonylurea and where there is an agreed purpose or goal to testing. SMBG should only be used within a care package and accompanied by structured education, which ensures that people with diabetes have a clear understanding of the role of monitoring and of how the results can improve health outcomes. Individuals with non-insulin treated diabetes who are motivated by SMBG to maximise the benefits of lifestyle and medication should be encouraged to continue to monitor their blood glucose.

Prescribing decisions about blood glucose test strips are for local determination, but Primary Care Trusts should not impose a blanket policy on testing strips for people with Type 2 diabetes.

© Crown copyright

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Thanks Ken I have just copied and pasted your reply into word and have saved it to my PC to refer to if necessary in the future as I can see the storm clouds looming with regards to PCT's and budget cuts.

thumbsup.gif

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
I wrote a letter of appeal to the PCT about them stopping my strips. They have called me today and asked me to go down for a meeting with them about my test strips in the next couple of weeks.

I will let you know how I go on. I have been feeling really down since they were stopped. I was really on top of my BG and health generally. Now, i don't know where my BG's are, I have started eating a little unhealthilly (I suppose what i don't know won't hurt me?) and wondering if this is the beginning of me being unhealthy again.

I have gone back up on my metformin as the 1 test i did do last week showed me at 9.

Sliding down the pan maybe,

Carl

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Carl do try not to slip back to old eating habits, test strips or not you know what you need to be eating or more importantly what you need NOT be eating, do try to keep on top of it. I find I test less and less now that I have a good idea of what amounts of food I can safely eat.

Try to stay on top of things and good luck with your PCT meeting, at least by granting you a meeting they are showing that they are taking your request seriously.

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Cheers Sid,

Thanks for the support. I'll post when i've met with them.

All the best

carl

destiny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It also says this:
[*]"SMBG should only be used within a care package and accompanied by structured education"

[*]"Individuals with non-insulin treated diabetes who are motivated by SMBG to maximise the benefits of lifestyle and medication should be encouraged to continue to monitor their blood glucose"

Id say the DESMOND course qualifies as 'structured education', and the motivation part covers those of us who are using tests to 'maximise our health benefits'.
Quote that to your GP :wink:

Tacemarie

Joke of the day :lol:
Quote:- The NHS leaflet for blood glucose testing. WHEN SHOULD I TEST MORE OFTEN?
. You are pregnant or planning a pregnancy
. You feel unwell or stressed
Your medication has recently changed
.your normal activity or meal routine changes
. you are having problems with either high or low blood sugars
you are started on steroid therapy
. You have a significant change in weight

I have emailed them and asked them how in hell am I spossed to test if I feel unwell or stressed if I don't have strips in the first place, do I just make time out to be ill?? (makes me stressed just thinking about it.)
How will I know if I have hight or low blood sugurs if I can't test, cos I habve no strips anyway.
I have lost 3 stone so far, but I can't test because I have no strips. :shock:

I am off on holiday soon where my meal times will change and so will my diet, how am I sposed to test if I have no strips???

That was 10 days ago. I am still waiting for the reply.............................. :roll:
I have also told them that if my bum ends up on one of their beds because I could not test and I become ill. I will sue them.
Will up date when I get a reply, please don't hold your breath :lol:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nice one
clap.gif
I look forward to reading your reply :lol:

Wendy53

Hi
I live in Spain have now been told no test strips unless I need Insulin. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I now buy my test strips from Ebay. I would rather not have to but needs must. Even paying extra postage it is much cheaper than from the chemist.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Wendy53 said:
Hi
I live in Spain have now been told no test strips unless I need Insulin. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I now buy my test strips from Ebay. I would rather not have to but needs must. Even paying extra postage it is much cheaper than from the chemist.

Wendy .. search out Pharmacylink.co.ok and put 'GlucoRx test strips' into the site search bar and you will find strips for under a fiver and the meter kit for unde a tenner. I was amazed at the prices and have spread the word since the GlucoRx was pointed out to me on this forum site. Its about time all the others had some serious competition!

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
CORRECTION ... I got the prices transposed .. under a fiver for the meter test kit and under a tenner for the strips. Sorry about that.

Sue Morton

So will I that is cheap - lets hope.

Also waiting about he reply to the bum on the bed and NHS cost of that!! cant wait.

All the best to everyone
Sue :)

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Sue Morton said:
So will I that is cheap - lets hope.

Yes Sue, that price of £9.65 for 50 strips is a retail price including VAT, so it would be a lot less to the NHS procurement list and leave all the others in the shade. If they were to offer them at say a NHS prescribed price of £8 for 50, the national bill for prescribed strips would be reduced by well over a third, as the average strip price as given in BNF is £14.50

Dislikes
dont like liers, or people that seem to think they are higher then there station, wat you see is wat you get with me
i have always had to buy my strips i asked and asked the doctors and they wouldnt give me them now i realise why, i get mine from chemist direct and they are about 23 pound but i know its alot but alot more cheeper then from the chemist, i think it is terrible its like saying aww you have only type 2 doesnt matter about you i am fairly new to this i was diagnosed in march and i am still stugglin with it and i am all over the place, so if i didnt have them i wouldnt know wat might happen

oobuc5

My doctor will not even give me a persciption for them ,and after some home work i found out why ,when the government shut down the pct,s [save money ] the are giving the budget over to the doctors ,and to make sure they are going to save the money the government are giving the doctors £75000 BONUS FOR LIFE ,yes i know it sounds crazy but with the cost of treatments a doctor can save millons for the government .

when i questioned my doctor as to why he would not give the test strips he said its the pct ,i went to the pct and they said they dont have a problem with that ,but it down to the doctor and the sticking point is the rules from the government are NICE MAKE THE RULES and the rules are its down to the doctor under the [CLINICAL JUDGEMENT RULE ] this means in his judgement if he feels you dont need what you are requesting he dont have to give it to you !

you will find a lot of this going on in the run up to the hand over of the budget they know they will get a lot of stick so thats why the government is giveing them them the £75000 bonus !

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Don't buy test strips from a normal retail pharmacy. they cost a LOT there. Around £25 for most types.
I get mine from thespplier at £14.** a pack with free P&P and next day delivery.
Hana