Test Strips withdrawn

SHEILAC

I am really fed up, I rang my surgery this morning and after 11 attempts I got through. I placed the order for a repeat prescription One Touch Ultra Test Strips. Lancets and Aspirin. which I have been receiving on a regular basis since the hospital diagnosed type 2 just over 2 years ago. I was on metformin but I was so ill for 6 weeks it had to be cancelled on hospital orders. I carried on by regular testing and weight loss of 4 stone. At lunchtime I received a call from the surgery to say they have withdrawn the Test Strips as I dont need them I said how come my HBac test is not until a week on friday. The lady said well the Dr. said. I said fine cancel my HBac and Results visit in which they had asked if I would be willing to have a learner present. I had changed a previous appointment to accomodate them on this. I am so angry she said you cannot do that you will need to speak to your Doctor. I said no thanks thats it. I am a 74yr old pensioner and on £54 a week pension there is no way I can afford to buy the expensive strips. I just cannot understand the National Health service, it seems they can prescribe to Junkies but people who look after themselves eat right and exercise properly are let down very badly. Sorry to rant but need to air my view. Sheila

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I fully understand and you have a right to let off steam. Nobody should have been treated in such a way and I think you should take it up with their head of practice and the hospital's PALS. Something has to be done to get your health sorted out and sooner rather than later.
Diabetes does not go away so you do need a future treatment plan from one health care team or another.
I hope this soon gets sorted out for you and please come back and let us know how you get on.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Shiela.
First of all it is very satisfying to 'throw your toys out the pram' once in a while but I think here you are shooting yourself in the foot ! Sorry to mix the metaphors. Cancelling the appointment wasn't really a good idea.

You want test strips. Do not take the word of any receptionists. It may well be that your GP did say stop the strips but what you need to do is see the GP and confront, in the nicest possible way.....the GP and put your feelings about the matter to him/her. Explain as you have here why you want them, how they can help you continue to control your Diabetes with diet only. Put a reasoned argument and see what happens when the facts are put straight to the 'horses mouth', so to speak.

One of the other Dr's at my own practice tried stopping my test strips and I am on hypo inducing meds.......he did it a couple of times, so I spoke to him personally and to my own GP. I now get all the strips I want. I didn't have to rant at anybody, just used some 'gentle persuasion. Works most times. :wink:

As Hob's said, let us know how you get on.

Ken.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Shiela
you may not get them to change their minds on strips. I too am an OAP, admittedly with a small occupational pension on top of my state pension and I had a battle with the PCT, which I got nowhere with. They say I don't need strips, so WON'T let me have them.
Hana

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!
I have had exactly the same problem. Although I am on a diet control T2 and been diagnosed for about 18mths now, I was never able to have any of these things. However, my sister who has been t2 for many a year now has been denied these as well. Unfortunately it's all part of the NHS cutbacks. I was actually shown a leaflet that has apparently been sent out to all the practices making this instruction. My sister put her foot down and demanded to continue receiving them but they only did it for a short time.She, like myself, now has to buy them. :x

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Postcode lottery I'm afraid.

In my region they will give me 4 tubs a year on prescription.

the east man

Dislikes
having to think about everything I eat
As I said in another post, we are so lucky in Northern Ireland as we don't pay for our prescriptions, and I have no problem with my GP prescribing them. But it does make me feel uneasy/guilty that the likes of pensioners on the mainland have to pay, seems so unfair :cry:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am in the same position a pensioner and had my strips stopped I buy strips on e bay. Where do the people who sell them on e bay get them from bacause they are cheaper than the chemists sell them.? CAROL

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
carty said:
Where do the people who sell them on e bay get them from bacause they are cheaper than the chemists sell them.? CAROL

That is a good question! I am sure that I am not alone in thinking that they must have obtained them on prescription themselves and that is probably part of the answer why the prescriptions for strips are being taken away from others. It is the sellers who are really causing the rest of us to have difficulties getting the prescriptions.

People buying cheap ones on ebay are just perpetuating the problem but when they are faced with spiralling costs you truly cannot blame the buyers.

In our area there are adverts being screened asking people not to order items on a repeat prescription if they don't need them. It is actually theft! And they are thieving from us all! :shock: :evil:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Synonym ok so I may be perpetuating the problem but on a fixed income the difference between £12 and £25. means to test or not to test. CAROL

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I think ALL NHS supplied prescription packs that are readily saleable should be indelible stamped so that any sale is instantly recognised as such. This is the only way to control the obvious problem.

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Re: Test Strips - HeyCarty!

I would love to know where you can buy test strips for £12!
Hunted round myself without success. Please tell.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Re: Test Strips - HeyCarty!

foxglove said:
I would love to know where you can buy test strips for £12!
Hunted round myself without success. Please tell.

What make of meter do you have ?

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Re: Test Strips - type

I have the Freestyle Freedom lite.
Hope this is good news!?!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
One of our members uses Abbot (Manufacturers of Freedom lite) and says that they are the cheapest around.

Try giving them a call on:patient helpline: 0500 467 466.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have an aviva nano and I buy test strips on e bay they can be ordered forabout £10 plus £2 p and p .You have to keep looking but I have had 3 lots now for about that price CAROL

SHEILAC

Hi All, very good news, I went to the doctors to-day, and he was very nice and gave me a prescription for the test strips. I spoke with a lady who was collecting a diabetic prescription for her hubby and they have been having the same problem. Sheila

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Re: Test Strips - a bit cheaper.

Thanks for the link Sue. Managed to get them at £18.50 which is a bit of a saving - every little helps!
Did try Abbotts they were not cheaper either, will try them again.

sheena60

I am a type 2 who controls diabetes with diet and have also been denied test strips by my GP in fact at my diabetic clinic it isn't even up for discussion, I just receive a brusque 'you don't need to test'. I am so fed up with this as it just a short term economy for the NHS that I have written to my MP to ask why this the case and he has passed my enquiry on to the new Minister for Health. If we all contact our MPs perhaps we might get somewhere. Why is Diabetes not higher profile? diabetes affects people in all walks of life, there must be politicians and celebrities who have it, so why is no one campaigning and lobbying on our behalf?