Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Morning Emily, hope your ok ?

Your posts last night sounded really desperate, was this because you are alone there with no one to talk to ? Do you really think it's fair on yourself to want to consider suicide as well as everyone else around you ? You speak of suffering but you must realise how many people care so much about you, please think of those around you. Depression causes us to feel completely self obsessed but you need to think of others too, they care about you they love you and I am certain they would want you to share your feelings with them. Ignore what your ward/colleagues think, they are there to care for you and feel compassion towards you. You speak of an obsession with food also, this is causing your depression lovely, you need to discuss this with your therapists, you are eating foods that play havoc with your blood glucose levels, i have learned myself that fluctuating blood glucose levels and depression go hand in hand, my doctor advised me in that going high/low was causing my depression, this was the reason I went low carb, it has helped control my glucose levels and my moods.

Please don't give in, you need to find the strength to look at your situation and want to get better mentally and physically. Do you have anyone friend/family or work colleague you can confide in outside of this forum ?

Let us know your ok this morning x

Reactions: 9 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I cant realy understand why someone is admitted to hospital with a diabetic problem and allowed to keep their own insulin is that the norm.?
A lady in the next bed to me when I had my new hip was checked every hour because of high readings,and given insulin as needed.
Hope you feel better this morning Emily

Reactions: 3 people
D

Deleted member 83869

I cant realy understand why someone is admitted to hospital with a diabetic problem and allowed to keep their own insulin is that the norm.?
A lady in the next bed to me when I had my new hip was checked every hour because of high readings,and given insulin as needed.
Hope you feel better this morning Emily
Thank you!!!! Finally someone has said it!!! I totally agree, every time I was admitted with DKA my insulin was locked away in the cupboard next to me and only the nurse was allowed to give it! And again my sugars was checked every 2 hours or more! Something doesn't add up does it??? x

Reactions: 7 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I can't understand this either:

For DKA incidents I believe NHS should do the sluding scale... Why not with Emily?

All medication should be supervised and pens etc should not be left with patients... Why does she still have hers?

Observations are normally taken hourly or at a max 2 hourly so why was Emily reporting at 21.00 that 33ml given and then saying not seen anyone?

If Emily is writing then providing she is not disable there is absolutely no reason why she could not get out of her bed and find somebody when she was reporting levels of 9.0

Why say fine, then say feeling odd and then fine again?

DKA especially with diagnosed youngsters is predominantly due to lack of understanding or not complying with injections.

So cannot understand why If Emily has been under therapists and in hospital that all of these suicidal notifications/actions have been made to strangers.

I think in some cases that persons should be sectioned for their own safety in these circumstances.

A lot of people have been seriously worried here but Emily has not given any real indication of being able or wanting to change.

I think we all have to hope that Emily gets the professional help that she needs because the angst from the postings here has been a lot from worried strangers and ignored.

Think it has to be left to professionals now.

I think that I will be raising details of concern with my CCG as DKA is costly to the individual and the NHS and there are alot of T1's that seem to be in angst and turmoil and nothing is working to give them guidance and help to avoid readmittance etc. I am deeply concerned about how CCGs and professionals can help these persons before crisis arise.

In Emilys scenario I wonder why she has not been sectioned.

Reactions: 6 people

indiaemily

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
well when I was on HDU my insulin was kept locked up and the nurses administrated it to me when needed. I was then moved to a general ward and my insulin is just left out, for whatever reason. but the staff here have no idea about my depression or my suicidal thoughts so why would they feel the need to lock them up? I was on four hourly observations for a few days, but since Saturday i am on BD obs so they're not really focussing on them, my blood sugars only need to be taken pre meal so every four hours or so then don't need to be taken through the night, and when I'm around people I'm fine I don't express how upset or down im feeling because why should I? I had a hypo of 1.2 at 2am but I remained conscious so **** knows

D

Deleted member 83869

Even when I was on a ward and out of ITU and off of sliding scale mine was still locked up! It doesn't matter if you're depressed or anything, it is pretty much every hospitals protocol that you're not allowed to self administer without a nurse/doctor's sayso!

Reactions: 5 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
well when I was on HDU my insulin was kept locked up and the nurses administrated it to me when needed. I was then moved to a general ward and my insulin is just left out, for whatever reason. but the staff here have no idea about my depression or my suicidal thoughts so why would they feel the need to lock them up? I was on four hourly observations for a few days, but since Saturday i am on BD obs so they're not really focussing on them, my blood sugars only need to be taken pre meal so every four hours or so then don't need to be taken through the night, and when I'm around people I'm fine I don't express how upset or down im feeling because why should I? I had a hypo of 1.2 at 2am but I remained conscious so **** knows
This speaks volumes to me. After all our words explaining the stress that Emily's family are going through, and that help is available and healing is possible... the messages are not getting through.

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
The use of Patients' Own Drugs (PODS) is part of the recommendations for NHS modernisation for Medicines Management and Pharmacy highlighted in the NHS Plan.

This is to facilitate medicine history taking and to enable staff to identify what treatment regime the patient is following. Using patients’ own medicines means that the patient can continue to use the medication they are familiar with. These medicines are the property of the patient.

Patients are encouraged to Self-Administer their own medication whilst in hospital. Obviously after review & assessment by a doctor. This is seen to be an opportunity to increase knowledge about medicines and how to take them, and to help the patient cope more easily with medicines once home. Although not compulsory, self-administering medicines is encouraged & has become the norm in every NHS hospital.

A member of the ward Nursing or Pharmacy team will check medicines brought into hospital to make sure they are appropriate and no changes have been made by the Doctor. Once this has been confirmed, & a patient is able to self-administer medicines, a Medicines Information Card is given. This card will be kept by the patient so they can refer to it when self-administering medication.

A POD key for their POD locker is given to the patient allowing medicines to be safely stored for personal use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Even when I was on a ward and out of ITU and off of sliding scale mine was still locked up! It doesn't matter if you're depressed or anything, it is pretty much every hospitals protocol that you're not allowed to self administer without a nurse/doctor's sayso!
When I'm in hospital I can't even access ordinary tablets for other conditions without a nurse getting them for me. Drugs are not allowed to be kept with patients in any circumstances in hospital. It's known to be associated with, at best, mistakes, and at worse, misuse. My skeptical antennae are twitching.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
All drugs have to be locked away for the sake of other patients as well.
The hospital would be sued if drugs got into wrong hands,and a confused person walked in and helped themselves.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The use of Patients' Own Drugs (PODS) is part of the recommendations for NHS modernisation for Medicines Management and Pharmacy highlighted in the NHS Plan.

This is to facilitate medicine history taking and to enable staff to identify what treatment regime the patient is following. Using patients’ own medicines means that the patient can continue to use the medication they are familiar with. These medicines are the property of the patient.
That doesn't mean they can keep them by the bed. I think it means that instead of being dispensed by the hospital pharmacy and kept in a box in the drugs room, they are collected from the patient and kept in the drugs room. Imagine if a patient was on morphine tablets, how vulnerable they would be from other patients and their visitors.

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You need professional help Emily.
Of course you should be expressing how upset or down you are.. Otherwise how are you going to get your life back on track.

You had a lot of people worried here. Why are you doing this to
Strangers and not talking to people that can help you?

I really think that its tome for me to back out of conversations here because Iam a stranger that is more hurt by your actions than you appear to be.

You state 1.2 so some sction myst have been taken by yourself to get your levels up??

This indicates that you are playing with our minds... You worry us.. You say you dropped to 1.2... Well to survive that you must have taken some glucose or a nurse must have helped... In the meantime you are causing others here to think you are dead....

I have to refrain ftom further communication here as I seriously think you need help from professionals and you are causing unecessary angst to strangers that have tried to help you. I wish you well and that you do get help and that if others keep posting to you that you may start to take heed of their advice. Alot of people have opened up their hearts to you here...

Reactions: 9 people
D

Deleted member 83869

yes maybe so BUT it is still to be checked by a nurse or pharmacist!

indiaemily

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
it's because I've tried help, I've been having help for 10 years and nothing they say or do or try and enforce helps so, I've attempted it and it just doesn't seem to work for me

indiaemily

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
the nurse just popped in randomly like they do, realised I wasn't really with it, took my blood sugar and administered glucose

indiaemily

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
didn't have a choice really and if people feel I'm not listening that's fine, I'm just not gonna bother trying to vent how I feel on here because it's as negative as it is positive so I'll deal with what I have to deal with alone

D

Deleted member 83869

Sorry but no one is beyond help, my boyfriend has attempted suicide a number or times, overdosed...he even has a nasty scar on his leg!! He didn't want to get help and it was VERY painful for me as he was a different person and he is definitely mentally ill, he finally got some help and we are both in the best stage of our relationship I think since he has got help and let it work and do it's course! When you have been on antidepressants how long have you been on them??

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
That doesn't mean they can keep them by the bed. I think it means that instead of being dispensed by the hospital pharmacy and kept in a box in the drugs room, they are collected from the patient and kept in the drugs room. Imagine if a patient was on morphine tablets, how vulnerable they would be from other patients and their visitors.

Actually, it does mean patients keep medicines at the bedside. In a POD locker, to which they are given a key alongside a medicines card. This is standard procedure these days under the NHS plan. Put simply, it's a cost saving issue. There are special policies for Controlled drugs, but the patient is STILL allowed to keep their own controlled drugs, such as Morphine, themselves. LOCKED IN THEIR POD LOCKER.

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
yes maybe so BUT it is still to be checked by a nurse or pharmacist!

I'm not getting into whether people agree with these policies or not. I'm giving information which the NHS has in place under the NHS plan. And, I have indicated a pharmacist/nurse/doctor checks BEFORE self-administering of medicines is allowed.

Taken from a patient info leaflet re self administering medication.

"Once confirmed that you are to self-administer your medicines, we will provide you with a Medicines Information Card, which should be completed either by you or a member of staff and checked against your prescription chart. This card will be kept by you and should be referred to when you self-administer your medicines."