Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Most days my trains are like cattle trucks anyway.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
It starts like this, which is doable, but already more of a hassle than simply sticking an insulin pen in your pocket:
View attachment 35214

But they grow pretty fast and you'll end up like this:
images

Or this:
images

And then try to explain they're supposed to make reasonable adjustments at work for diabetes...
This is the funniest thing I think I've ever seen. :)

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
This mess has cost me 7hours and I’m not getting anywhere. Does anyone know if it is worth trying Facebook? I never really used facebook for anything diabetes related.
If you can get to a hospital then you might find that there’s an emergency GP surgery where the doc on duty could write you a prescription. You’d then need to locate a late opening pharmacy.
Like @helensaramay says it’s really worth keeping an eye on supplies and reordering before they run out.
Say ‘Yes Granny’ this time.

Reactions: Kim Possible

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well I thought I was being very restrained at a glorious tea party this afternoon to raise money for a good cause. I just ate savoury sandwiches, carb counted and jabbed. Maybe it was the sight and smell of all the cake that sent bloods into overdrive! Corrected. Picked up a bag of cakes that hadn’t been eaten. Came home. Swooped low and enjoyed a cake.. Argh, diadevil’s sometimes such a partypooper

Reactions: Daphne917

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@MeiChanski - there's a 24/7 walk-in centre, GP service operates out of the Cov &Warwick. I ended up there a couple of years ago, when I stepped on a shard of ceramic, embedding it into the centre of my heel pad.

On a Sunday morning, I had to wait a while, but was seen, and dealt with politely and efficiently.

Reactions: Antje77

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Lovely sunny morning everyone, isn't it just brilliant to know it's going to be another glorious day. Apologies to anyone having to work today.

Now here's a thing. BG was highly erratic yesterday and despite very low carb, managed to hit 11.8 in the middle of the day. Nothing to eat after 8pm and woke this morning 8.9.
I'm confused, is it the heat?

Reactions: Knikki

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, too hot for me this weekend, staying in the shade as much as poss though intermittently having to pursue a puppy round the garden. Having a big garden's great until your dog's small enough to get out of places that a grown dog can't. I've done my best with blocking things up but there are two points that still need attention, and one is defeating me. I think if I can keep on keeping an eye on her for the next three weeks or so she'll then be too big to get through. I'm going to experiment today with a very large play pen, but I think she'll just shout her head off.

She came to a very busy barbeque with me yesterday and loved meeting all the people, didn't mind the loud music, was happy to be handed round to meet everyone. I had to take her home when the smell of the food cooking meant she just wanted to be where that fab smell was coming from.

Hope you're all enjoying your Bank Holidays, bearing in mind not all of us have a day off today, and that you're dealing with the heat better than me! @SueJB I don't know the answer to your question; heat always seems to bring my bg down.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning all, too hot for me this weekend, staying in the shade as much as poss though intermittently having to pursue a puppy round the garden. Having a big garden's great until your dog's small enough to get out of places that a grown dog can't. I've done my best with blocking things up but there are two points that still need attention, and one is defeating me. I think if I can keep on keeping an eye on her for the next three weeks or so she'll then be too big to get through. I'm going to experiment today with a very large play pen, but I think she'll just shout her head off.

She came to a very busy barbeque with me yesterday and loved meeting all the people, didn't mind the loud music, was happy to be handed round to meet everyone. I had to take her home when the smell of the food cooking meant she just wanted to be where that fab smell was coming from.

Hope you're all enjoying your Bank Holidays, bearing in mind not all of us have a day off today, and that you're dealing with the heat better than me! @SueJB I don't know the answer to your question; heat always seems to bring my bg down.
Would love to rescue a dog and give him/her the run of my garden. It's already escape proof.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Wouldn't you know something went wrong with my pod while I was waiting for my CGM sensor to warm up. I came out of the warm up session with a 11.4 (206) reading. I gave myself a shot and changed my pod and have been normal since. But I keep getting 1 day messing up a 7 day 100% in range streak and it's irritating me! Last week it was DP deciding to skyrocket earlier than normal. Neither which I could control, but still messing up a perfect streak!
Lol, and then I realize I'm being a little OCD!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@helensaramay I don't really like the heat, I like cold (yes I moved to the wrong place for that, but I love the beaches) but the heat doesn't seem to bother my BG's at all. I'd say that's because we don't have a huge fluctuation in temps here except that where I came from we did have mild winters and major heat sometimes and I didn't really see a fluctuation. But I carry tea and water everywhere and constantly drink through everything so I wonder if it's more of a dehydration issue? Or it's just me, because I can be different anyways, like hot showers do raise my BG and the dentist drops it.

Reactions: porl69

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
@SueJB how do you cope with the heat, ignoring diabetes?
My theory is those who like the heat may see lower bg; those who are ambivalent about it, see no bg change; and those who don't like the heat, struggle with getting too hot, feel lethargic and uncomfortable see bg rises. I think of it like another form of stress. In a way, the stress from the heat leads to bg rises rather than the heat itself.
It's just a theory though because I am in the ambivalent camp.
Himself is firmly in the heat stress camp but luckily doesn't have diabetes.

Apart from waking early (for a bank holiday), all is well here. A bit overcast and not too hot... yet.
Waiting for himself to wake before heading out. Himself prides himself with his long sleeping skills.

Enjoy your day.
Thanks for the ideas. I do struggle with the heat as a pale skinned, fading redhead and always try to hide in the shade or wear a hat. I don't think anyone would ignore their diabetes and I ask questions because it's still new to me (2 yrs) and the heat yesterday definitely was.

Yesterday I woke at 3.8 which rose to 6.1 at lunch, chicken wings and salad. Sat and read and did an occasional potter and pull in the garden so sitting and testing before supper and finding 11.8 was a surprise. I corrected with my food went to bed 8.5

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Morning all, another hot one. I used to like the heat much more than I do now, mainly because I was swimming more and maybe because all the functions that expand blood vessels to expel inner heat worked better, especially when I was in my twenties and acclimatised to a hot climate.
Bloods have been alternatively erratic and good for the last week and like @Marie 2 I wonder if I’m being too demanding of them. Rather be using time to watch do other things than watch and correct.
On a happier front, I’ve grown some chickpeas. The seeds are smaller than the ones you buy in the shops, but all the same, chickpeas. In the outdoor veg patch! Disconcerting and joyful.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Good morning and what a sizzling bank holiday weekend. Off to a surprise birthday for my Son-In-Law in a local country pub. SIL thinks it's just him, his wife and baby, but no lol
So looking forward to seeing them and my baby granddaughter <3
Hope you all enjoy the day whatever you're doing and take care out in the hot sunshine :)
ps I might even have an alcoholic drink ? :)

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@helensaramay I don't like the heat and it still lowers my bg. It's been the same for over 30 years and back in the day I used to love the sun; now I get heat rash and I find the heat enervating. Must be something to do with how my body works I guess, and the longer I live with T1 and know others with it, the more I know how different we all are

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you can get to a hospital then you might find that there’s an emergency GP surgery where the doc on duty could write you a prescription. You’d then need to locate a late opening pharmacy.
Like @helensaramay says it’s really worth keeping an eye on supplies and reordering before they run out.
Say ‘Yes Granny’ this time.
Yes Madam Granny. :) I pink promise it won't happen again.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning friends, BG was 4.2 so I took basal and continued sleeping and it rose to 4.5. :) By the looks of things, it might be another warm day.

Reactions: SueJB

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Got back from south of France yesterday evening, nice to come back to similar weather, except now don’t have the sea to cool off in, or the chilled wine.....or the lovely food......talking of which did my BGs no favours - tbh it wasn’t the food but really my carb counting/guessing skills that let me down.

Quickly skimmed through all the posts I missed, thinking of @WuTwo at this difficult time, @Mel dCP you are an amazing person, as in fact you all are on this thread - enjoy the rest of the bank holiday.