1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It’s also my dianniversary, happy 18 years to betes. Extra chocolate for me, :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Master
    Retired Moderator

Here's wishing a happy one to you too.. Marking the day it went DKA..

• Like Like x 2
  3. MeiChanski

To also add, I took the black friday sales opportunity to purchase a hid in multiway belt. I thought it’ll be useful for dresses, skirts, in bed and in general use. So I don’t have to purchase separate things like non slip garters (although those are quite sexy). I added a myabetic case/bag too, since I don’t own anything to solely to put things in. I love anything with compartments. I’d use pencil cases but they get ruined quite quickly and smelly. You can say I did a big number this black friday. I’ve been pretty good for the last 2 years. Moreover I’ve put together a hypo box for work, ranging from skittles to tablets to gels to coke to hypo kit for circumstances that I cannot manage myself. Unfortunately I haven’t found anything to replace biscuits, I added biscuits too, the large multipack kind. :)

4. Japes

Japes LADA · Well-Known Member

I seem to have been awash with low-grade germs and colds for weeks now! I do enjoy my students this year but it doesn't seem to matter how much I stick to handwashing policies and try to get them to link arms rather than hold hands, (they are almost all very tactile and within our clear boundaries we permit this) I seem to catch all their germs. Probably they're all new to me as I've never worked with these ones before... plus last year's lot were hugs in emergencies and last day of year types only!

Young Vampire seems to be beginning to show some more independence with diabetes chores. For the first time yesterday all I had to do was the numbers check on the meter, both bloods and carb input, and on the insulin pen. (I will always do that for YV as number recognition is the learning issue which prevents true independence here.) At least, when I'm doing the deed there is more independence. I gather when the other staff are doing it, they get talked into "helping" more!

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  5. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Good morning everyone enjoy your day

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning all, so first time in a long time I am Libre'ing - didn't bother pre-soaking like some, slapped it on and activated it straight away and so far results have been pretty good accuracy wise.......and on a BG level too, yesterday evening and over night stayed with in limits nicely, just breakfast causing a bit of a spike but now levelling off in the low 8's which is fine for the time being. :happy:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Good morning all
    antibiotics are starting to kick in....pee stinks :dead::dead::dead::dead:....too much info? lol

Bloods are doing there own thing at the mo, not too concerned about the with the mountain ranges I am getting at the moment

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. karen8967

Big hugs porl69 x

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  9. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning all, eventful shift on the boo-boo bus last night with a head on collision on a windy welsh mountain road. No fatalities, just some fairly broken skeletons. Got to work with the helicopter medics again, which was an experience in itself. Bloods all well behaved, just needed the odd glucose tab for when things got physical.

Got to go to a uni-mandated disability assessment today, not thrilled, but them’s the rules. I’ve been passed as “fit to practice” by occupational health, so I think it’s about exam concessions and the possibility of some extra funding. I don’t _feel_ disabled in any way, I just have a little extra to think about. I’ll take my laughably ancient MacBook along, as they want to see what I’m currently using on the tech front...

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  10. karen8967

just had a phone call to say my new bottles of insulin have been sent to pharmacy ,so im all ready to start pumping by the 11th that appointment will last 4 hours due to training then appointment on the 13th not sure how long thats for, then appointment for the 18th and i thinks thats it .:)

• Winner Winner x 4
  11. MeiChanski

Hello friends, diabetes is doing okay, a bit of a ramp because of a banana. 10.7 this morning :) I’m a bit worried that my womanly month hasn’t arrived. If I counted it correctly, it’s been around a month. I’ll give it until tomorrow then off to the doctors I go. Unless I can get pregnant from staring at my bf?

• Hug Hug x 1
  12. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Well it’s the time of year for miracle births...

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. karen8967

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. MeiChanski

I think that’ll be my food baby

• Like Like x 2
  15. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

(Shamelessly copied from the thread where I posted it first because it makes me so happy!)

Our Sinterklaas party next thursday will involve a 3 course dinner. I just had a perfect phone call with the host, who will be cooking. She doesn't eat meat, which makes things a little more complicated, and I requested she choose something without the very carby parts but not worry about the details.

So she called me to ask if a chocolate letter would make me happy or sad. A very good question, and I opted for happy, especially if she can find a dark chocolate A :)
    And then she told me dinner will be very low carb as far as starters and mains go, but I'll have to adjust and just guess my dose for dessert, which will be carby but small.

I just love people getting how it works! Friends like this make diabetes so much easier, and this phone call means I don't mind the messing up from dessert, Sinterklaas comes but once a year and has the same status as christmas, birthday or thanksgiving depending on your location :)

edited because I couldn't write this part before taking a picture of my post to send to my friend.
    I'll add some home made low carb vegetarian sausage rolls and a bottle of wine.
    I think sausage rolls are a cool choice when dealing with one diabetic and one vegetarian, both stubborn know it alls :hilarious:
    They taste very good as well!

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Master
    Retired Moderator

@Antje77 ,

There is a simalar tradition to "Sinterklaas" at this time of year in the UK?

Rock bands play music & sing traditional well known tunes at high volume, then at the end of the night normally just after the stroke of 12..

The landlord appears & offers free drinks & cash.. ;):D

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. karen8967

Good morning everyone enjoy your day got youngest grandson for the day on route as we speak ....more coffee needed immediately

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning all, yesterday was the works xmas lunch, totally failed to keep the BGs respectable and then over compensated at tea/dinner/supper time (well didn't time and dose correctly for a 0 carb protein fatty snack) - but as we quite often say tomorrow is another day and so it is, breakfast peak absolutely nailed down and steady over night too.

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  19. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning. Off to have a car crash (literally) training day with all the emergency services. What's the betting that as the student I'll end up being put in a car, cut out of it and then triple immobilised on a scoop stretcher? Doubt they'll give me fentanyl and ketamine though :D

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  20. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sounds like a fun morning :)

My car went bang this morning, the misses was driving me to work and it over revved....well full revs, she managed to stall it.....smoked out Pontypool......RAC just come and towed it into the garage. Turbo blown....the car is on 300k miles and is a 2001 Bora. So next stop is the great car park in the sky :sorry::(:(:(

• Hug Hug x 6
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook