Type 1'stars R Us

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I use one of the two wipes that come with a sensor to clean my arm, and while I wait for the arm to be thoroughly dry I use the other wipe to clean my computer screen :D

I use baby wipes for cleaning many things, phone, computer, dirty hands, the skirting too. I can be quite versatile :D

Reactions: Marie 2

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I should be wearing steel toe cap shoes everywhere I go tbh. I had a bruised toe for months and now I’ve re-bruised it. I hope everyone is okay, I was a tad high this morning at 11.1. Site change, I drank my breakfast brew and I’m hoping no issues with this site.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use baby wipes for cleaning many things, phone, computer, dirty hands, the skirting too. I can be quite versatile :D
But I'd have to buy baby wipes and the wipes that come with my sensors are free! Or not free really, but I spend so much of my money on sensors that I'm determined to use every last bit that comes with the package!

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I do love solving a mystery but I could have done without that bit of window cleaning after I realised the loud thump I clearly remember scaring me witless a few weeks back was in fact eggs on the window. Fortunately an accessible window and experience of cleaning egg off glass in a former abode meant it didn't take too long.

Hopefully it has also done the trick and lowered my bloods down to a more acceptable pre-prandial level than they were an hour ago. Too wet to walk them down and a bit of housework is the other tactic.

Good job I count Sunday as a work day.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Antje77 Don't you know you have to keep those wipes that come with the sensors as they look really good in a pile in the cupboard?

They actually do come in handy in my extra pod kit I take with me for a pod change. I stopped getting them when I switched to Dexcom. Now I am adding to the pile again from the Libres I get for my dog.

Reactions: hh1

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Now I am adding to the pile again from the Libres I get for my dog.
How's the dog doing lately? And how do you use the information on its Libre for treatment decisions? I don't have a diabetic animal, thankfully (although I suspect I've had a guinea pig die of diabetes shortly before getting my own diagnosis), but I'm pretty interested to know how managing diabetes in a pet compares to managing diabetes for ourselves.
It might even be interesting to start a thread about it, as you're not the only one with a diabetic pet wanting to manage as good as possible. A thread on that could be a great help for people using the google to find out about their diabetic pets.

Reactions: Leeannea

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But I'd have to buy baby wipes and the wipes that come with my sensors are free! Or not free really, but I spend so much of my money on sensors that I'm determined to use every last bit that comes with the package!

I'm sure there's gripes with baby wipes for use on screens
For me also the average price per wipe it seems unclear
Would they not just smudge them more & leave a bit of smear?
I suppose they would smell great with residue of aloe vera! :D

Reactions: porl69 and hh1

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
A dog or cat with diabetes is like having a baby with diabetes? But more of a hands off approach. It's just pets can't tell you they don't feel right and their care is totally in your hands. She has gone way down in insulin usage with the bad teeth pulled so that was a few sleepless nights as we reduced her doses. She is now staying more stable.

There's exercise playing with our other dog etc, (lowers) plus a foot she decided to chew on (grass allergy, raises) The vet she has now is delighted with her figures, but I'm not completely. I want it nudged down some still. I am the one that does all the adjusting as needed.

Yes we do rely on the Libre to dose, we still do some blood sticks to know the accuracy or if in doubt. But when you see a reading on the Libre of 304 I know she needs 2 units. Your aim is for below 200, (I like to aim for 150) so when it is off by 20-40 points it really doesn't matter. 1 unit of Humalog can lower her BG 50-75 points. That had to be found out by using it as most people or vets don't use Humalog on their pets. They just use the Novolin type insulins.

Reactions: porl69

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A dog or cat with diabetes is like having a baby with diabetes?
I think the main difference is the amount of HCP knowledge and care. I don't think there are many pets being treated as hands on as a human baby (who would have many many hospital visits and after care) and I genuinely think the knowledge you've aqcuired on diabetes in dogs would be interesting to many vets and pet owners.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Very sad, Kobe Bryant just died in a helicopter crash. He was only 41. I guess I should add because just in case ? I'm not sure how popular basketball is there and maybe some of you guys don't know who he is?????? But he is a very well liked and famous basketball player that played with Shaq O'Neal on the Los Angeles Lakers Team.

Last edited:

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Evening all, busy day with a couple of hundred miles on the road to go and see my dad. Since his prediabetes diagnosis six weeks ago, he’s adopted a much lower carb diet at my suggestion, lost 20lbs and his Libre (he’s had a couple of my just-gone-our-of-date sensors to see what effect his usual foods were having) is predicting an HbA1c of 24 - even reading a little low (I’d always add 10 to its prediction from personal experience) it means he’s nailed it before type 2 gets a grip. He’s thrilled. He’s looking better than I’ve seen him in years, too.

Drinking rum with a sketty bolognese served with courgetti spaghetti :) Lidl are doing a vegan mince that’s surprisingly good. And at 9g carb, I didn’t bother bolusing for it. Diabetes behaving quite well, time in range at around 97% and requiring very little input from me.

Huge hugs, @slip - it’s the most devastating thing to lose a furry friend ❤️

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys I am back.

Lots happening and great to see the return of the fonts of all knowledge Loopercat/ Cumberland. This board has lost far too many very very knowledgeable people over past few months for one reason or another. Heres hoping we can all stay friends on this thread, talk nonsense, talk diabetes and most importantly offer advice and support where required

Good to be back

Edited by moderator to remove content that breaks forum rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Hi guys I am back.

Lots happening and great to see the return of the fonts of all knowledge Loopercat/ Cumberland. This board has lost far too many very very knowledgeable people over past few months for one reason or another. Heres hoping we can all stay friends on this thread, talk nonsense, talk diabetes and most importantly offer advice and support where required

Good to be back

Amen to your last 4 lines and good to see you back

Quote edited by mod to reflect previously edited post

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: smc4761 and Marie 2

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,
I know I should be asleep but is it normal to feel pain radiating from my infusion site and sensor? Sensor was put in on Friday, I told the medtronic rep that I didn’t like it on my bingo wing but he insisted it was more accurate there. I didn’t like my libre sensors on that part of my arm, it was uncomfortable. My infusion sites are quite painful going on and letting it sit. I’m not saying that it should be pain free but the mio sets do pack a punch piercing my skin. I feel Dexcom and libre application devices are more gentle. Whoever said body fat helps with pain, I’ll find that person. I have to sit in awkward positions and I can’t give my bf a full on hug. On a more positive note, it’s not been too bad, I found some areas of my tummy are not good insulin absorption spots but no kinks.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Careful of that @MeiChanski , it can be a sign of an infection or a reaction to the adhesive or canula for some people. Some people need steel sets for their pumps so they aren't bothered by them. I've only had pain a couple of times from my Omnipod but usually it goes away after a few hours,

If your sensor is linked to your pump unfortunately I think it has to be fairly close to the pump. Otherwise if you have a separate independent Dexcom sensor, people put it all sorts of places.

Reactions: MeiChanski
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

2 don't go very far lol and baby wipes cost about 60 pence for a pack of 64 ( or cheaper) so really, really useful, especially when baby granddaughter Cleo has been here lol
Good morning :)

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
FB_IMG_1569965402478.jpg