Type 1'stars R Us

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh yes! It was reported back to me that, on a group outing to the pharmacy, Young Vampire spotted the Japes' hypo fix of choice and told everyone "Japes - low." To be fair, I'd totally trust the Young Vampire to go into my meds bag and get the Dextro out for me. Or the Full-Fat Coke from the cupboard where we hide both of our emergency supplies.

Well done on the 100% @LooperCat

Last edited:
Reactions: Antje77 and Marie 2

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning all, no badge.
BG was rocket high during the night and I had to bolus to bring it down, still bad now but I'm driving so won't do anything more.
Does anyone get leg cramp while they're sleeping? That's what woke me up and why I checked BG. I know it's not a potassium deficiency.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@SueJB I used to horrendous ones years ago at night when I had been misdiagnosed as a type 2 and was put on Januvia. They were awful and my leg/legs would even hurt the next day. After I stopped the Januvia it took months for them to go away. The only thing that helped was a Homeopathic Horse Chestnut/Peppermint cream before bed and taking Horse Chestnut pills everyday.

They had told me Januvia wouldn't cause it, but I was suspicious since they didn't start until after I had started taking it and I never had them before.

Reactions: hh1

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
@SueJB I used to horrendous ones years ago at night when I had been misdiagnosed as a type 2 and was put on Januvia. They were awful and my leg/legs would even hurt the next day. After I stopped the Januvia it took months for them to go away. The only thing that helped was a Homeopathic Horse Chestnut/Peppermint cream before bed and taking Horse Chestnut pills everyday.

They had told me Januvia wouldn't cause it, but I was suspicious since they didn't start until after I had started taking it and I never had them before.
@Marie 2 thanks, do you still take the pills?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Good morning.....
All good on the diabetic front, nothing to report move along :)

Reactions: hh1

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@SueJB No, it was years ago and I think I took them for only a few years. Horse Chestnut is a blood thinner and is a common herb for achy legs and leg cramps. It is commonly used in blends to help the legs.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, I think I can wear a 5 badge this morning although that was after a middle of the night correction for a horrendous 17! due to a combination of a missed timed bolus (meal took a lot longer to kick in than anticipated), dog walk and subsequent over corrected hypo fix. :meh:

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, woke on a 7 something but despite usual bolus, decent walk, blah blah blah, up to 11 a couple of hours later. Bit bored with it all today tbh. Pah.

@SueJB yes, I get leg cramps that wake me up sometimes. Specifically in my calves and I'm not sure what causes it. After I did my first toad patrol and walked for two hours in the evening (not fast walking) I was woken three times in the night. It's interesting as I have some peripheral arterial disease affecting my left leg, but the cramp is mostly in my right leg... I don't have a cure other than getting up and stretching the muscle till it goes. Mine's in my calves; is that where yours is?

Reactions: porl69

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A wail went up from the Young Vampire that the afternoon number was not going to allow a much-anticipated snack before going home. A retest was demanded.

Once I'd pointed out that
  • I wasn't surprised at the afternoon number as I knew how little physical activity had taken place.
  • This ploy hadn't worked yesterday either (when I was slightly surprised and was up for a retest for my own reassurance.)
  • My spare meter was available for retests
It was very hard not to laugh at the outrage that my spare meter was not going to co-operate with the desire for snacks either. I didn't vouchsafe the information that Spare Meter normally read higher than my main meter.

Reactions: hh1 and Marie 2

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning chaps, its almost dark and therefore time for me to put my superhero suit on. Had a few jobs last night, ranging from a diabetic with chest pain to an overdose/suicide attempt and a drunk nana who fell and broke her hip. D mostly behaving, nobody on my crew has even noticed I have it yet :D

Reactions: Japes

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A wail went up from the Young Vampire that the afternoon number was not going to allow a much-anticipated snack before going home. A retest was demanded.
I totally identify with YV here. Those hopeful retests to make myself eligible for the craved snack hardly ever say "Yes! Eat those crisps!"

Reactions: porl69

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi everyone, woke on a 7 something but despite usual bolus, decent walk, blah blah blah, up to 11 a couple of hours later. Bit bored with it all today tbh. Pah.

@SueJB yes, I get leg cramps that wake me up sometimes. Specifically in my calves and I'm not sure what causes it. After I did my first toad patrol and walked for two hours in the evening (not fast walking) I was woken three times in the night. It's interesting as I have some peripheral arterial disease affecting my left leg, but the cramp is mostly in my right leg... I don't have a cure other than getting up and stretching the muscle till it goes. Mine's in my calves; is that where yours is?
Hi @hh1 cramps in both calves and feet both feet, horrendous. I was just thinking it might have been due to an extremely high BG. I got up did the stretching but total agony

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @hh1 cramps in both calves and feet both feet, horrendous. I was just thinking it might have been due to an extremely high BG. I got up did the stretching but total agony
What helps me (and my non-diabetic sister) with leg cramps is Magnesium Citrate (Solgar make from Holland & Barrett). I need to take the tablets continuously, otherwise the night cramps start again. Needs to be Magnesium Citrate tablets as Magnesium on its own was of no benefit.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
What helps me (and my non-diabetic sister) with leg cramps is Magnesium Citrate (Solgar make from Holland & Barrett). I need to take the tablets continuously, otherwise the night cramps start again. Needs to be Magnesium Citrate tablets as Magnesium on its own was of no benefit.
Thanks for the info @ElenaP. The cramps can't be diabetes related then I suppose.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I definitely think cramps can be diabetes related due to the fact blood glucose thickens the blood, maybe insulin does too, I'm not sure. But that cuts down on circulation which is directly related to getting cramps. Just as a circulation issues makes you more prone to neuropathy.

I get mild feet ones, a few twitches works them out when I am on my exercise bike or snorkeling sometimes and I think that is due to blood flow issues when exercising. But mine is more likely from the fact I have spinal stenosis from a cyst on my spinal cord.

Magnesium is a muscle relaxer so it can help relax the muscles so they are not as likely to cramp up. Magnesium Citrate is one of the most absorbable forms. But magnesium and horse chestnut just address the end problem but they don't solve why you are getting them in the first place. Which could be circulation, which could be diabetes related.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sooooo,
I had four letters today trying to tell me an appointment (2 appointments on consecutive days next week booked a while back.) has now been deferred to the following week..

The time & date for the new appointment set on these letters was the same, but in two different hospitals about 12 miles apart.

All this to get my basal changed & hopefully a Libre on script.

Somebody was having a bad day in admin.? :banghead:

Took a phone call & a long wait in a que to sort it out. Let's hope I don't get a "no show" against my name on the 17th.
Because I will be somewhere...

I don't get this grief from the ophthalmologist.