Type 1'stars R Us

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Japes Well done you, an awful job re chewing gum. A disgusting thing to do anywhere. But a church for goodness sake!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
My husband followed me way out in the ocean watching a turtle and told me now he knows why he can't find me sometimes!;)
I am spoiled! For some reason we are getting a lot of rain and cloudy weather for July, very unusual. But it was a nice day and I got my full 3 hours in. It was a fluke of circumstances not easily duplicated that my BG level stayed even keel and didn't start any increase until about a half hour after I was done.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, where does the time go? It's Thursday already, and I'm not sure where Monday went, Tuesday was a trip to Devon for a birthday lunch for a friend catered by other friends in their new house. Lovely day, had to leave earlier that I wanted as i and one of the other people I went with had to get back for part 2 of our first aid training course in the evening - just what we needed! However, we all passed; we do it as we need first aiders when we run events in our local wood where we volunteer.

Just got back from walking with a friend, off to run more errands as gardening's halted by rain.....

@Japes all credit to you, when my next door but one neighbours rented out their house whilst trying to move, a woman in her 60s was the tenant. When she moved out they found her chewing gum stuck inside the drawers of the piece of furniture she'd used as a desk. The whole house had been been used badly, including by her dog. I'd heard about her chewing gum habits from a friend who does computer work and had been to look at her laptop. She handed it to him and there was chewing gum stuck on it! He refused to touch it until she removed it and cleaned it. I really, really don't understand some people.

@Marie 2 sounds like a wonderful swim, hope the bgs stay steady for you!

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, where does the time go?

@Japes all credit to you, when my next door but one neighbours rented out their house whilst trying to move, a woman in her 60s was the tenant. When she moved out they found her chewing gum stuck inside the drawers of the piece of furniture she'd used as a desk. The whole house had been been used badly, including by her dog. I'd heard about her chewing gum habits from a friend who does computer work and had been to look at her laptop. She handed it to him and there was chewing gum stuck on it! He refused to touch it until she removed it and cleaned it. I really, really don't understand some people.

No, @hh I really, really don't understand people who do things like that. I rent and I'd be mortified if I didn't leave this place better than I found it (which was in very good condition). Furniture is my own, though, and I am naturally careful with it.

Maybe I should be blaming our elderly instead...!! However, the worst of it is on pews we've not been using whilst social distancing demanded it and most of them have stayed home during all this.

I'm having an unexpected basal test day. Not entirely sure what my insides decided to react badly to about 12 hours ago but they parted company with my evening meal most dramatically around 2.00 a.m. and less dramatically when I woke up at 5.30 a.m..

Then, possibly as a result of dehydration, (which is incredibly unusual for me) I had the most horrendous dizzy fit when I came downstairs for something to drink. (No, not a hypo or hyper, I managed to check - and bloods've remained very steady ever since)

So.once everything settled after an hour of lying horizontally on the sofa and could sit up without the dizziness, I've been gently rehydrating myself! Definitely don't want to eat anything yet.

Last edited:

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Went to the hospital on Tuesday and I have been discharged and I'm now wandering around without bandages on my thumb.
Mrs Urb' and I decided to have a pub lunch on the way home to celebrate which was great until I realised that I'd left my insulin and meter on the dining table at home :banghead:.
Decided to just go for it, but even with a relatively low carb meal choice (OK, OK, I might have had a few chips) I was up over 18mmol by the time we got home around 5pm. Took a big dose of insulin but even without eating again I was still above 11mmol around bedtime. Took another 3 units and went off to the land of nod.
Then I was rudely awaken at 3am by a 2.8 hypo - brilliant. Off the roller coaster now, thankfully.

Thumbnail pictures (did you see what I did there) attached. Don't let anyone tell you that used needles aren't a risk.

Attachments

• Thumb01.JPG
    Thumb01.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 96
  • Thumb02.JPG
    Thumb02.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 99

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Went to the hospital on Tuesday and I have been discharged and I'm now wandering around without bandages on my thumb.
Finally!
Too bad about the BG's, but that's sorted by now as well :)

Your thumb looks, erm, very interesting, but also as if it will heal to almost its former appearance.
Can you use it?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Finally!
Too bad about the BG's, but that's sorted by now as well :)

Your thumb looks, erm, very interesting, but also as if it will heal to almost its former appearance.
Can you use it?

No I can't do much with it. I still can't hold a pen properly and it feels very strange, almost like the end of the thumb is 'loose'.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No I can't do much with it. I still can't hold a pen properly and it feels very strange, almost like the end of the thumb is 'loose'.
That sucks.
Do you have physio therapy planned to have a look at getting at least some of the function back? Part of the issue may simply be from the long time it has been bandaged and unused, but it sounds and looks like the thumb can use some professional help to recover to it's maximum.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@urbanracer no wonder it's taken so long to heal. Agree with Antje, looks like some professional help might get you back to normal use and feeling. Looks like you may still need to be careful of it for a while.

Reactions: Antje77

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
We are supposed to have a sunny day Sunday......................Hopefully we actually do!

On the Bg side I screwed up my 100% TIR by extending my bolus instead of second dosing. Such a small thing but I dipped too soon because more insulin hit earlier and then climbed a little higher than I normally do later...........all because only of extending instead of second dosing. Proper timing sure helps those numbers! Live and learn.

Reactions: karen8967

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Woohoo!!!! I stayed between 5.6-6.7 (100-115) for swimming 3 hours today! Let's see if I can duplicate it.

Lol..............it takes some planning, that's for sure!!!!!! But I have hopes I've figured it out...............but you know how that goes!!!!!!

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, strange week last week, after my post about an outdoor birthday lunch I got a phone call late that afternoon to say that someone who was there had tested positive for Covid. I rang up for a PCR test; amazing service as it arrived next morning, went in the post the same day and I had the results by 10.30 the following morning! Luckily negative, but I've since heard that someone else who was there (and has chosen not to be vaccinated) has tested positive and is now in bed unwell. It's made several of my friends who were there very nervous; I'm philosophical and very grateful I got my vaccinations as soon as I could. The person who's now ill spent much more time two days running with the original person with Covid than I did at any point during the lunch, so that's partly why I'm ok I think, but I also have to trust that the vaccination may have been working away against random dangerous encounters when I've been shopping or whatever. Who knows? I'm just glad to be well, and very, very lucky that this is the closest physical call I've had. One meber of my family has had it but they live in the east of England and I've not seen them since Covid started. There are definitely benefits to living in a rural area - and not having to go to work every day. I'm very lucky.

Off out today to a local garden and park with a friend and her two grand-daughters who are staying with her for a few days during summer holidays, and hopefully the weather forecast is right and we'll get a dry day!