1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Well? They do say laughing is good for the soul... :)
    But then, when I tried it in the late 1980s. In was "offered outside" by a Yoga teacher dressed like the silver surfer..

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Timostags

Timostags · Well-Known Member

Well FINALLY had my CT scan (4weeks after fracturing my shoulder in Motorbike crash) and I can confirm.....

You CAN wear a Libre sensor during a CT scan, the radiographer noticed it on my arm, gave it a funny look and then just carried on.

I was also not asked to remove any piercings etc, so guessing a CT scan isn't the one that uses strong magnets like I thought.

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

No, that’s the MRI. I know nowt about radiography but I have an image of being firmly stuck on the ceiling of the imaging machine if wearing certain metals in the MRI.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  4. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Goodnight everyone sleep well

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

Aye, it’s MRI that uses the magnets - makes the red ink in my tattoos tingle “interestingly”, it’s the iron in the colour. I was told by the radiographers last time I had one (we had words about my platinum nose stud that can’t cone out) about the lady who wore her “white gold” shiny new engagement ring into the MRI, only for it to fling her hand towards the walls of the chamber because it was fake gold... her fiancé got quite an earful!

Had an entertaining CFR shift, first call to an old lady exploding from both ends - turns out I have a stronger stomach than I thought! Then on the way back to our lurking point (ie coffee and pee stop at McDonald’s) we saw what looked awfully like a child face down on the roundabout by the entrance to a fairly notorious estate. Keeping all our self defence training in mind, 999 ready to go on my phone and the panic button on our comms gadget, we checked it out only to find it was clothes stuffed to look like a body. WTAF is wrong with people? Whether it was kids doing it for a joke, or as a lure to rob anyone who stopped, I don’t know. Anyway, we chucked it in the bin so hopefully they won’t do it again. There were a few kids lurking around when we passed by a bit later. No noticeable adrenalin spike though, must be getting used to it...

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Good morning Saturday colander's. I have been up early, a restless night and awoke on double figure's,:banghead::rolleyes: just going to have a second cuppa and read a couple of chapter's of my book.

Well done @Mel dCP , you are doing such a good job :)

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. karen8967

Good morning everyone have a great weekend

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Fairygodmother

Good morning teabags.
    Tea and coffee now imbibed and my head’s back on again. A good night, but my brain doesn’t kick in until the caffeine’s there and the slow awakening’s completed (ish).
    I was thinking about the ‘body’ you came across, Mel; it’d be interesting to know why it was put there. Horrible if it’s a robbery lure. More understandable if it was kids looking for reactions. Kids are mad, and what kind of stimulus is there near their homes where I imagine the bricks and concrete don’t leave much room for the imagination.
    I’m amazed you didn’t get much of an adrenaline spike! Mine rose just reading about it.

• Like Like x 7
  9. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

I suspect it was kids looking for reactions. Someone calm in a hi-vis jacket approaching carefully with a police spec torch, prodding it gently after asking if it could hear me and then calmly putting it in a neat pile behind the bus shelter probably isn’t going to go viral on YouTube!

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning all, feeling slightly pleased with myself today. Went to the pub for dinner last night with a group of friends and neighbours, steak burger and chips followed by ice cream - not at all what I usually eat - so guesstimating like mad. Corrected a 9 at bedtime, overslept and woke to 6.4. After much recent playing with morning bolus as I kept going low after walking, finally got that right too (for today anyway!) and came back on a tidy 5.8. Smug Saturday!

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3
  11. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I am getting the hang of this low-low carb high fat diet and the BSLs are behaving them selves. It is just the need to sleeep and the tolerate slight nausea. Still I know the drill and will press on. Tried some seaweed snacks and apart from getting used to the saltiness I found them great! Onward and steady wins the race. Tortoise over and out!!

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. Japes

Japes LADA · Well-Known Member

After a holiday couple of weeks where I've ached like mad, where I've eaten more carbs of all varieties than has been normal for me, I'm happily reverting to a more low carb way of eating which suited my whole body best! I'd long connected achy joints to too much sugar and had noted during the two years where I was pretty strict with myself that all such aches had not been present.

Back to Main Paid Job on Monday, so having a lazy day today. Off on an outing after church tomorrow, and want plenty of energy for that.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Evening all - just heading back from a week skiing in France and now stuck in the ‘fuel tax’ protest on the A1.. been a week of not too massive highs but a few lows and a bad one of 2.7 stuck above a red run, it’s funny how the legs can shake when starved of glucose. T1 has been a bit of a drain this week more than others but only because the cold was slightly bad some days and more draining on the glucose levels than I could of predicted. Still the Dexcom came in handy as I got alerts on my phone so was still able to shake off a few lows before they got too low.

Hope everyone’s had a good week.

• Like Like x 8
  14. Fairygodmother

Nuisance lows but you survived!

• Like Like x 4
  15. Alison54321

Alison54321 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My Libre reader shows 15% below target over the last seven days. I have no idea what happened, just a week ago it was about 5%. I changed sensor, and this one is reading lower than actual finger prick tests, mostly my sensors do that, but also I think I have to reduce the basal, just a few days ago my blood sugar was resisting staying below 8, and now it's just gone weird. I think the new sensor is exaggerating the lows a bit, but something weird has happened.

Anyway, going to have to get it sorted, as got a hospital appointment at the end of January, and I want my readings to look good, and 15% below target won't.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks @Fairygodmother there’s a toss up between surviving without broken limbs and surviving t1 on the slopes, I have to admit I got in quite a panic with my 2.7 as I just wanted to get to a cafe to warm up and treat, regardless of whatever you do it always manages to catch you out.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

A nice, relaxing Saturday for me after the hecticness of xmas/NY.

A leisurely Chinese buffet, pork ribs to die for, then on to an early afternoon showing of The Favourite, about the machinations of two cousins to get close to the 18th century Queen Anne. Don't normally like period dramas that much, or stuff to do with royalty, but, hey, Olivia Colman was playing the queen, so that was a good enough reason to go!

And the deliberate overbolus for the buffet led in nicely as a sort of extended pre-bolus for a tub of Haagen Dazs praline and cream at the movies.

I'd recommend the movie. A lot of decadence and excess ("Let's race some lobsters, then eat them"), and women in period costume being handy with guns - what's not to like...

favourite-the-2018-002-emma-stone-shooting-gun.jpg

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Knikki

Knikki · Guest

Evening all.

Apart from getting the car serviced, stupid price, but hey main dealer for you, had a relaxing day of doing not a lot.:cat:

Chrimbo deccys are also down in the Knikki household. :lock:

Also been a day of running very low until I eat the last mince pie, which livened things up a bit.o_O

Now sat here with wine and listening to Led Zepplin which shopping for stupid priced watches I am going to buy when I win the Lottery :happy:

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Alison, I wouldn't worry about that. If I remember correctly, we're in the same NHS area, and the docs here, due to Lothian being at the forefront of libre prescribing, have seen lots of patients using libre, so they know about its quirks and tendency to exaggerate lows.

I had a checkup a few weeks back, we were discussing some apparently low readings.

The doc was totally on song with the explanation that libre can show 2.6 when a reality bg test shows 4.6. She said that they've seen that sort of thing a lot, and agreed with my take on it that the libre algorithm can be convinced for hours that we're hypo when we're not.

She was perfectly happy to say, aye, it says low but I know you weren't.

The Lothian libre experience is becoming really interesting. Docs here are starting to see people getting way lower a1cs, not through going hypo all the time, but through using libre to figure out ways to avoid going above 10 too much.

If you get any grief at your next checkup about a lower a1c, tell them that - it's not through hypos, it's because of not swimming around above 10.

I had a whole lot of calibrated numbers from xDrip+ to make it more persuasive, but that's another story...

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  20. karen8967

Goodnight everyone sleep well

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook