1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Mel dCP

Mel dCP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Avocado growing is pretty horrendous on the environment - it takes a lot of water to grow one. Spanish ones aren’t so bad, but those they grow in the drier parts of the US are causing real issues. So if there’s a passable substitute that maybe doesn’t have so much impact...

• Like Like x 1
  2. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

No one has said so to me. I clean off my arm with the disinfectant wipes before attaching a CGM, but that's just so the skin is clean enough for the glue to stick and stay on for the full two weeks, rather than being concerned about germs. I'm going to follow Knikki's lead :) and not use them, as it's just one fewer thing to worry about.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Molly56

Molly56 Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

I have an avocado plant growing in my greenhouse at the moment....is about three foot tall grown from an avocado stone that germinated in my compost heap....not sure if it will ever bear fruit and probably won’t survive outside but pleased it has got so far:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've just realised that I only inject 1/10 of a mL of insulin a day in total. That's nothing. My injections are 1/100 of a mL for 1 unit of insulin. Wow. It doesn't sound like a huge deal, like I've been thinking it is. I've also discovered injecting into my lower back (on the sides) is pain-free. My stomach and legs are too skinny and hurt. So, today, I'm visualising as a type 1, I just scratch my back 8 times a day with 1/100 of a mL of insulin. And it's no biggie.

• Like Like x 2
  5. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Delticmatt100 I never use alcohol wipes before I inject. Like others here, been doing that for over 30 years and never even think about it; don't want to create more unnecessary waste either. I do use them before I stick on a Libre as I have trouble keeping them stuck on, so I want to be sure the area's as grease-free as poss.

On the marrow debate - I like courgettes, spiralized, griddled, sauteed, or grated and rendered down with butter & garlic. Marrows are too wet for any of those treatments (and too big to fit in most spiralizers) and in my opinion fundamentally tasteless. I think the best way to use them is as additional compost :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Mel dCP

Hmmmmm. Not eaten yet today and still had a spike mid morning. Might need to adjust basal if it happens tomorrow. Planning a nice quiet day avoiding the sun and possibly doing some laundry - knee still extremely painful, which is getting boring now.

Marrows. I have horrendous memories of my mum stuffing them with grey, bland mince and the results swimming across the plate... :yuck:

• Hug Hug x 3
  7. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

I love avocados! I eventually will plant one or two of my own in the back yard, we get lots of rain. Tropics! We supposedly grow over 200 different varieties of avocados on our islands. They grow all year round here of one variety or more. I'm in heaven!

Marrows aren't moving to the top of what to try lol.................

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Only smears of it on the back of my left hand. I don't wash before testing but wipe off the first drop on my other hand, test, lick drop from finger, forget to lick the smear on my other hand half the time. I must be lucky with quickly closing wounds.

9. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

For everyone who had their fingers crossed I'd survive the tofu that had been left to marinate for 3 or 4 days, it still smelled, looked and tasted right yesterday and I made a very yummy Indonesian like meal with it :)
    I also put in nori seaweed, which isn't in any exisisting recipes I suppose, but I read @WuTwo puts seaweed in her dishes sometimes so I thought to try :). I now know I love seaweed in my food! (and will probably put it in all sorts of inappropriate dishes for a while, as I'm like that when I discover something new :banghead:)[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  10. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Not used them in over 40 years! My dad used to "obtain" them from work BUT they stung like crazy

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Good morning y'all

Well hypoland ALL of last night. Went to bed on a 4.5 had a bananananana as I climbed the stairs. Libre had my at 3 most of the night. That was with a 80% basal adjustment too. Must be the heat?? Sat on a 3.9 as I type, so a cuppa with 2 sugars is the go now

• Hug Hug x 7
  12. Mel dCP

Looks lovely - have you tried Furikake? It’s a Japanese seasoning made of finely chopped seaweed, sesame seeds and salt. Really nice with some yuzu juice on an avocado. And prawns. Or tofu. Or anything at all, really. Husbeast bought me some sheets of seaweed snack stuff in Costco yesterday, I absolutely love the stuff!

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hi @Delticmatt100 ,

What is your personal view on the subject?

Within a few days of coming out of hospital I was given the kit & advised I'm going to be on my own with this some day. No time like the present.

Sooo, with the busy hubbub of life (including involvent with the care of the woman that initially imparted the advice many years ago. I can't be doing with the whole "OCD" on top of the basic cleanliness & self pride society (& John Wesley.) expects from personal hygiene..

Nothing cleans wounds like your own saliva. Nothing preps the action of inpalment like a bit of soap & water.. :)

• Like Like x 2
  14. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Anyone watched Prison Break (currently watching it on amazon) - the main character is supposedly T1 (except he's not) but he has to go to the medical bay everyday for his 'shot' - now I guess the series was made a good few years ago but the doc injects him like she's doing a vaccination, using 1970's inch long thick gauge needles STABBED (theres stabbed and then theres STABBED!) in the arm - I can't remember seeing her use a wipe either........... @Delticmatt100 I think the medical profession use alcohol wipes just in case you get an infection and they can claim to use reasonable measures to avoid such things and so you can't sue them for it, I don't think I or anyone else is in the habit of suing themselves.....?!:D

@helensaramay skating on thin ice! I think most of us are older than you so try not to laugh at us:p

• Like Like x 3
  15. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Expert

@slip I try to laugh "with" my elders on the grounds it makes them feel younger :)
    There are definitely a number of T1 stars who are a fair bit younger than I ... but I will laugh with them too.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Mel dCP

I think a few of us on here are “of a certain age”...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Many thanks! Will get some tomorrow :) I do like adding to the herbs & spices baskets.

18. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Funny :):):). Actually, it’s a barrier constructed across a waterway to control the level or flow of water, funny.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@therower now that is a barrier constructed across a waterway to control the level or flow of water funny!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Expert

I thought a barrier across a waterway to control the flow of water is a lock or weir.
    Now the mods have taken away the opportunity for me to learn a new type of waterway barrier.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook