1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I can't get out of the wretched 7's at the moment, no matter what I do or how much I shove in. I deliberately over-injected at brekkie and I was still 7.7 before lunch. I'd had nothing to eat, and just some rooibos tea through the morning. I take it without milk or sugar ....

So I have taken 2.5 extra units now, and will wait to see what happens. At worst I'll be in the 7's at dinner. And my app doesn't like that. It records bloods in the 7's in orange and it is not at all a nice colour to have splattered all over my app.

It's not the basal, I'm pretty sure of that. I'm split dosage levemir and it's holding me level enough, it's just that the bolus isn't pulling its weight.

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@WuTwo That's how I feel when my libre keeps showing my BG swinging around 9-9.5mmol and it's in the yellow range. Green gives me satisfaction. :hilarious:
    Reckon it's stress?
    I know it takes a while for me to lower my BG during the morning - afternoon, even with prebolusing for a low carb breakfast.

3. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It does sound like you're having to tough it out today. I like talking about food. What did you have for breakfast?

4. MeiChanski

Hello friends,

I'm not doing too shabby, I didn't correct my 10.7 last night so I landed on 8.7. Fiasp didn't let me down and it is damp and grey here. My darling sweet potato bf forgot to take the bins out, so I'm giving him the death stare. :hilarious:

5. WuTwo

I had scrambled tofu, seitan bacon, mushrooms and a slice of toast. Was yummy!

Lunch was chopped tomato, cucumber, babycorn and sweet baby peppers with chickpeas in sweet 'n smoky sauce, topped with sprouted seeds, parmegan and a handful of sunflower seeds. I enjoyed it very much.

• Like Like x 1
  6. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Expert

My darling sweet potato boyfriend has remembered to put the bins out ... once since I have known him.
    And that was a day early.

I've just learnt to accept he struggles to remember things that happen EVERY SINGLE WEEK.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
    #19826 helensaramay, Jul 19, 2019 at 2:50 PM
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  7. MeiChanski

My one has to be told to take the bins out. If I forget, he won't do it. But then again there are things I tell him everyday but he leaves it another day to do it and there is room for him to not do it. *points at the oven that was suppose to be cleaned last week* :rolleyes:

8. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

On days like that I up the target level on the app a bit for the day. Doesn't change your bg but makes looking at it a lot less annoying :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. ert

Yum. You're quite the foodie. I had to google scrambled tofu. I thought it might be scrambled eggs with pieces of tofu, but no, there is such a recipe as scrambled tofu. :) I'm new to this insulin calculation malarky. How many carbs are in each of these meals? 20 grams of carbs in both? (I've been googling ingredients.)

10. ert

We only remember the bins when we hear the rubbish truck, or literally fall over one our way out for a dog walk. At least neither of us can blame each other.

11. MeiChanski

Or neighbours' kids helping their parents with the bins. :hilarious:

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. WuTwo

About that, yes. I think one had 21g (the toast was 15g) and the other had 25g - mainly the chickpeas in sauce.

We like food. I'm vegan, he's veggie and we both like cooking. We prefer home-made foods, and fresh when possible so we tend to get a wide variety of foods, and a lot of different tastes. Adds to life's pleasures :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. WuTwo

Mine diarises everything. That way he doesn't forget. He hates that he's getting forgetful with time, so uses his calendar to help him out. I'm a forgettie at home, but never at work. It's as if I use up my my share of memory in the office, and have none to spare for home.

14. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Expert

Himself does everything on his phone or laptop ... if he is going to record it at all.
    Failing that, I think I am his "off-chip memory".

I think it is easy because we have something to remember most nights - if you get the veg box out on Sunday, you remember climbing on Monday, a night off on Tuesday, rubbish and recycling out on Wednesday, tidy (not clean) the house on Thursday for the cleaner on Friday and then chill until Sunday.

He also walks past the neighbours bins already out on the street when he gets in from work on Wednesday night. But I think he is in his own little world at that time and wouldn't notice a pair of T-rex playing hopscotch, let alone a box of paper and cardboard innocently sitting on the pavement.

I now want a picture of a pair of T-Rex playing hopscotch and it seems to only exist in my mind.
    If only I could draw.
    I'll have to satisfy myself with t-rex racing:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    #19834 helensaramay, Jul 19, 2019 at 4:23 PM
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  15. MeiChanski

Oh that video cracked me up

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

@slip sorry if I missed it in a previous post but what was wrong with your cat?

17. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

As you are our local tofu expert, @WuTwo , I have a question for you. I dried and marinated a pack of tofu today, and then went shopping and came back with things for a completely different dinner than the one I had planned. Yes, I'm funny like that. Tomorrow will be party at the neighbours, so no cooking, sunday will probably be leftovers and a big fat hangover, so definitely no cooking my complicated planned meal.
    So do you think I can leave my tofu in the fridge, marinading away until monday?

18. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

He had or is recovering from Triaditis (inflammation of three internal organs usually liver, pancreas and small intestine - fortunately he didn't show signs of intestinal inflammation which could be 'messy'!) as I say he's recovering well now and the Vets booked an All-inclusive Bahamas trip on the proceeds :D

• Winner Winner x 3
  19. MeiChanski

It'll probably be really strong. I'm worried about the tofu because it doesn't have a long shelf life once you opened it and don't have it submerged in water. I suppose you can cook it and eat it another time?

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Glad he’s on the mend. One of my cats had a severe reaction to her booster a couple of months ago which meant a few visits to the vet - she had a high temp, dehydration and all of her limbs were stiff due to the inflammation. Both cats are insured but the vet treated her for free because it was due to the vaccination. She always manages to fall ill when we are due to go on holiday though!

• Hug Hug x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook