Type 2s: What have you eaten today?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't have that book but am very familiar with carbs and cals. I am more interested as how much of the plate the food takes up. I use appetizer plates. Some people seem to eat VERY little. I am not sure I could survive on that, LOL I am really just more curious than anything. My BS is great. Between digestion and BS I have to eat what I thought was relatively small but compared to some maybe not

Reactions: 2 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
I don't have that book but am very familiar with carbs and cals. I am more interested as how much of the plate the food takes up. I use appetizer plates. Some people seem to eat VERY little. I am not sure I could survive on that, LOL I am really just more curious than anything. My BS is great. Between digestion and BS I have to eat what I thought was relatively small but compared to some maybe not
Sorry ...as you can see it shows the food on the plate so you get a good idea of each portion/ plated up looks like

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kristin251, have you got a copy of Carbs and Cals yet? This is a most handy little illustrated book showing carbs/ cals and portions plated.clive
I got a free copy with my accu check expert meter and its invaluable. I have been waighed at outpatients today and have lost a whole stone in a year

Reactions: 4 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I looked at the book online and surprisingly there were a lot of pictures. The problem is I don't eat most of those foods. I eat lean protein (2 or 3 oz) veggies about a half a cup to a cup and some fats. I eat no carbs other than above ground veg. Mainly broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower and green bean. I imagine it is about a cup to a cup and a half of food. Does this sound like a lot or a little?

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
I looked at the book online and surprisingly there were a lot of pictures. The problem is I don't eat most of those foods. I eat lean protein (2 or 3 oz) veggies about a half a cup to a cup and some fats. I eat no carbs other than above ground veg. Mainly broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower and green bean. I imagine it is about a cup to a cup and a half of food. Does this sound like a lot or a little?
Kristin, I have that book and I use it every day. I call it my food bible... I have managed to lose nearly 3 stone over 2 years. It give food portions, fat, protiens, fibre, cals and of course carbs with three plate sizes. I don't eat a lot of the food shown, but you can find the carbs and cals on food packets. It also gives drinks. I also try and write down what I eat for each meal. This helps if the scales say I have put on weight...I look back and follow a couple of days menus. Lovely book, bought it for friends who are not diabetic and they love it.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Kristin, I have that book and I use it every day. I call it my food bible... I have managed to lose nearly 3 stone over 2 years. It give food portions, fat, protiens, fibre, cals and of course carbs with three plate sizes. I don't eat a lot of the food shown, but you can find the carbs and cals on food packets. It also gives drinks. I also try and write down what I eat for each meal. This helps if the scales say I have put on weight...I look back and follow a couple of days menus. Lovely book, bought it for friends who are not diabetic and they love it.

I don't count cals or carbs or fat per se as I have found the combo that keeps my BS steady after years of doing so. I was trying to compare MY plate with others plates just to see if I have small meals or more normal.
For instance thee amount of protein in ounces and cup (s) of veggies at meals? My weight is good (I wouldn't mind losing 5#'s though) and A1C 5.1. I am just curious as my husband eats HUGE meals and mine seem minuscule. He has a serving size bowl of salad with protein and I have about 1.5 cup of food combined. I know his meal is not 'normal' though he is thin and it's mostly veggies

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I imagine it is about a cup to a cup and a half of food. Does this sound like a lot or a little?
Hi @Kristin251 Although I don't follow the NHS advice about the 'Eatwell' plate, I do tend to follow their suggestions on portion size, which is that portions of anything should be no bigger than the size of your fist. But I wouldn't think it is going to matter much if you have more than that when it comes to veg.

Rudyard

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Kristen251 - Similar to the other guys here, I tend to make up the plate with veggies, of all sorts. There's a phrase "Eat The Rainbow" which I try to follow... For example, I pan fried some diced aubergine, red pepper, butternut squash and broccoli (I used rapeseed oil and added a little butter, then a twist of salt & pepper) along with some roasted celeriac which was served with scrapings of a beef stew... 75% of the plate was veg

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi Kristin251 I have usually 3 veg with a meal and I put 2 good sized tablespoons of each out. If that is any help to you.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all ! I am having a bit of a hard time digesting all these veg right now. I seem to go in spurts. I can digest, then I can't for awhile. Doesn't matter what the veg is either as I love all and try to get a good variety. I guess I will just cut back for awhile. I know my BG goes up with bad digestion and if it's after dinner forget it. If my stomach isn't happy I don't sleep. I do seem to go through stages where all I want is veg and then all I want is protein and fat. Finding balance....
Thanks for all your help

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: coffee n cream

L: chicken leg, creamy broccoli, pepsi max

D: marinated pork, creamy broccoli, pepsi max

S: coffee n cream

Rudyard

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, following my veg rant yesterday, went home to make the planned spinach, chickpea and aubergine curry - packed out with extra red pepper and butternut squash... Spiced with garam masala (must make the home-made variety, again.. the packet powder is nice, but the fresh is SO vibrant), garlic, ginger, turmeric and coriander... The OH has the rest for lunch today. It is VERY filling. And Spicy. And tasty....

Today is walnuts and oodles of coffee

Supper will be a beef stir-fry... there's some steak that's been kicking about the freezer for ages. It's out now and ready for tonight. Onios, garlic, the rest of last night's ginger, some hoi-sin sauce, broccoli, onions, bean sprouts and some noodles for the OH... Maybe a cold beer to enjoy with it.

Friday... might be another curry night... Really fancy the idea of a Keema. RAH!

swarnag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi,
Fasting BS 6.1
breakfast coffee and double cream.
cup of tea around 11am with cream again.
Lunch boiled egg and someKale chips.
Rudyard, Your curry sounds amazing.
I have bought a swede.
Could some one please tell me is it OK for chips .?I am on very low carb as I have 18KG to lose.

swarnag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Forgot to ask Where can I buy carbs and calories pocket book? Feels hungry now. Going to have Full fat greek yogurt with some blueberries.
Later on Pork ribs and vegetable for dinner.
I cannot drink enough water. I drink lot of tea with cream or full fat milk unbeaten and after my meals.

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
B Greek yoghurt and berries
L chicken and salad open sandwich, pork scratchings and a plum
D chicken stir fry with berries and cream for afters
S handful of Brazil nuts, half an avocado and a cheesestring

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

L: coffee n cream, ham, mayo

D: 1 egg, 1 meat patty, creamy broccoli and cauliflour, pepsi max

S: coffee n cream, pepsi max, 1 cheerio and a slice of cheese

Rudyard

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last night ended up being s steak and chips night - Made some garlic field mushrooms, last legs of broccoli and celeriac chips with a steak that practically mooed....

Today breakfast was coffee
Lunch - rest of Wednesday's veg curry - really nice!
Tonight - A Lamb keema, the OH will have naan and I'll pack mine out with extra veg... Spiced & roasted cauliflower and a load of red peppers to bulk out the meat. In theary there'll be enough left for the boys - who've developed a fair taste for keema and rice. There'll be a side of minty yoghurt dip and more than one Coors light to wash it down...

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

L: chicken leg, ham, mayo, creamy broccoli and cauliflour, pepsi max

D: 2 x mini bacon and egg quiches, broccoli and cauliflour with a cheese sauce, pepsi max

S: coffee n cream, pepsi max

swarnag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Today I went off the rails. Morning bs after cup coffee with cream and two truvias was 7.4. i did not eat anything till about 2.00pm except for couple of cups of tea with cream. then i had a very intense sugar cravig. had 5-6 pieces some sweets from srilanka . It is lot of juggary( palm sugar) and sesame seeds. then ate full fat yogurt about i/2 a big pot with some blue berries. DID not check my blood sugar till now.
evening a cup of tea with full fat milk. Dnner was 1/4th swede mashed with butter, spinach and chick pea curry and creamy cabbage. after that I am now having a cup of tea with double cream and a piece of dark chocaate.