Type 2s: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning? (very low chat level)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.3 today very happy wirh that, except I appear to have gained 2kg.

@Grant1969 I hope you feel a bit cheerier today. Sometimes it’s hard to shake a glum mood off and this time of year with the shorter days and rain doesn’t help. At least you are keeping good bg control.

Last edited:

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, good to see everyone is maintaining good numbers, not so for me, 7.1 this morning but it was expected considering yesterday’s oopage moments yes @ianpspurs they are plural oopages ;)
Breakfast yesterday was low carb until I had a small slice of fruit bread and a very small glass of a banana and strawberry smoothie
No lunch as we were touring around a bit but did have a wonderful fresh pina colada but had the virgin version, too hot for rum at that time, did have a small rum punch later when we visited a beautiful island off of Haiti.
I had a few chips when we got back on board as other half ordered room service.
Also consumed a delightful Starbucks vanilla bean cream drink, I know it was very naughty but it was so refreshing.
Dinner was a perfect choice until dessert, I had steak, mushrooms and asparagus but then gave in to key lime pie!!!!
So all things considered 7.1 is ok, I wouldn’t want to see this on a regular basis but for today it’s accepted.
Today’s port is Jamaica. Should be interesting :)

I would do anything for a key lime pie!!!

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and my personal inabilities.
7.1 this morning, bitty higher today but the sun is shining and it really has lifted my mood, wonderful people and loads of new experiences to be had, I hope my rock n roll lifestyle isn't leading me astray but I'm going into the attic later, hopefully I'll come down the same way I go up, well - in a controlled manner not head first, ahem. Increase the peace my lovelies.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi 6.3 today and all things considered I’m amazed and really pleased. As predicted breakfast was low carb but I did have a slice of dark seeded bread.
Lunch was a traditional Jamaican menu, I had red snapper in a coconut curry didn’t like either of the sides so although I tried them I didn’t eat them, also couldn’t drink the rum punch, I love rum but my god it was soooo strong I think we could have fuelled a rocket to the moon. Dinner was room service as we went to a show that clashed with meal time, I confess to eating chips and I had chocolate cake.

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
4.2 @06.05AM
The good news is that my days of testing with 5meters …"Just to be sure"...appear to be numbered.
I scored 400 freestyle Optium test strips at a great bargain this morning.
Once it gets delivered, and I use up the motely lot I'm testing with at the moment (which should run out at the end of the month)
I will stick to just the Freestyle for the next 12mths...I have been stocking up and its been well worth the 'huntdown'
The multiple meter/readings palaver was doing my head in.:banghead:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4.2 @06.05AM
The good news is that my days of testing with 5meters …"Just to be sure"...appear to be numbered.
I scored 400 freestyle Optium test strips at a great bargain this morning.
Once it gets delivered, and I use up the motely lot I'm testing with at the moment (which should run out at the end of the month)
I will stick to just the Freestyle for the next 12mths...I have been stocking up and its been well worth the 'huntdown'
The multiple meter/readings palaver was doing my head in.:banghead:

Good move! The vagaries of one meter are enough for me. Can’t imagine what 5 would do!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.8 yesterday, higher than usual due to late night choccy Tuesday evening

5.3 this morning at this ungodly hour! I just can't sleep. My mind is whirring. Planning. I will elaborate.

Here is my little bit of chat.

Yesterday i attended my first diabetics meeting at the local Tesco superstore (free room for community meetings). These are held on the 3rd Wednesday of every month. My DN told me about them when I asked how I could share my knowledge gained since diagnosis and maybe/hopefully help others. I went in armed with my inspirational stories booklet, low carb what to eat booklet, blood glucose testing, 1936 diabetic LCHF advice and 100 stone lost sheet amongst various other bits and bats. Including me there were 12 people attending. Doreen the chair welcomed me.

On the table there were 4 plates of biscuits, rich tea and chocolate digestives. Most I could see were happily tucking in without a care in the world. I wasn't surprised and took it in my stride. Coffee or tea was offered but I declined. Declined the biccies too!

Doreen asked everyone to introduce themselves. First names only given. No further info at this point. She spoke firstly about smoke alarms and getting them checked, informed us about the fire station open day 25th Oct. Then invited John up who did a short talk about the CAB (now known just as CA), he was a volunteer and he spoke about the services provided, how they are funded, hours open etc. He is non diabetic but comes with his wife Rita to support her.

Then Doreen asked the 2 newbies to tell us their stories. I summed my journey up in less than 5 minutes. It got a very positive response. Everyone began discussing their meds - all present were t2d, BS testing (or not as the case was for most!) And their woe (Not low carb as all seemed to be following GP advice ie eat everything, cut down on sugar, low fat, low cal). I heard how many of their HbA1c levels were going up not down. They were trying different insulins to try and gain control. Many were t2d on insulin. Many had other complications. Lots discussed their neuropathy that was causing them a great deal of pain in their fingers and toes and for one lady 'all body'. Eyesight issues, heart problems. Also how little help or support they got from their hcp's.

The other newbie also had a story to tell. She was months going to her gp surgery seeing various Drs about tiredness, pins and needles, excessive urination, thirst. Nobody had mentioned to her she was diabetic. She had her last gp appointment and the gp said ' well you aren't controlling your diabetes very well'. I haven't even been told I have diabetes was her reply! She was shocked and mad. She immediately went on a plant based diet. Her HbA1c has gone from 87 to 43 within 3 months. She still has terrible pins and needles. She realises now she has had diabetes for years. The symptoms have been present for years.

These 12 people are from surgeries across Blackpool and Fylde Coast. Just 12 diabetics attending from so many surgeries. (Sigh). All, apart from one slim lady, I noticed were incredibly overweight.

It seems that diabetes.org.uk are behind these meetings. Doreen does a monthly raffle. Proceeds go to diabetes.org.uk but the diabetics get a say on where the money is spent (usually research) about £2k a year raised.

I explained the difference between dcuk and .org (without offending).

Everyone said they had found my intro very interesting. So I offered to do a talk as John had done earlier. Doreen was delighted and said November but as its my wedding anniversary on 21st and I wasn't sure if I would be around I said how about December but that will be a Christmas meal out for everyone. So we agreed on 3rd Wednesday in January. This gives me plenty of time to plan, prepare and spread the word locally. Hoping to get more than 12 there.

Doreen would like more members. So would I! I'm thinking of a plan.

Here's my plan so far from tonight's lack of sleep!

Contact my DNs to see where they are up to re passing all the info I dropped off around all the hcp's at the 2 surgeries. They did invite me to a clinical meeting to discuss the info so I'm going to try and pin them down to a date.

I'm going to write a 1 page advert for the talk I'm going to do 3rd week in January. (@xfieldok I would love your help and support if you are free as you are quite local and it would be good to catch up again, we could do a team presentation).

This 1 page advert I'm going to get into as many local surgeries as possible (starting with mine) to let them know 1) there is a monthly diabetics meeting and the details and 2) brief details about my talk mentioning how I've not only lost a lot of weight but also put my diabetes into remission/reversed/ controlled. I will probably run with 'reversed' as it will capture their attention and I may get more attending (I know I know)! It's all about helping others find a way that might work better for them. A healthier way to live. Giving them an alternative to the advice given that ensures the disease is progressive. It doesn't have to be. That said I'm not going to come over as a Dr I'm just going to tell about my journey and emphasise that the LCHF woe isn't for everyone especially if other health issues present.

I'm going to give out lots of info. And of course direct them to DCUK for further info.

I'm also going to ask DCUK where they are up to with linking our Birmingham docs/videos etc to the site and on their social media sites. And whether they have managed to get us a slot with Holly and Phil on that breakfast sofa yet!!! I live in hope.

And now I'm going to try and get some sleep. Night or morning folks as the case may be.