Type 2s: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning? (very low chat level)

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Rock and hard place situation. Refusing to face the issue leads to disaster - knowing the truth leads to angst. Given the choice between retaining limbs. eyesight etc angst seems a bargain:arghh:
I agree as I most definitely want to keep all my fingers, toes etc and that little meter is now in residence and I only have myself to blame for inviting it in.

Reactions: JanetMcDowell

Ally Pally

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
The colour pink!
6.4 this morning despite another low carb day yesterday, however unlike you @DJC3 i will have breakfast as without eating my numbers continue to climb, fasting doesn’t appear to work for me :banghead:
I feel your frustration @ianpspurs i sometimes long for the ignorant bliss before the meter came to live at my house, to test or not to test, damned if we do and damned if we don’t :arghh:

Like you I simply cannot fast - I tried but nearly passed out. Doctor told me to scrub that from my ‘to do’ list. Some can, others can’t.

Reactions: bigjim19

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Like you I simply cannot fast - I tried but nearly passed out. Doctor told me to scrub that from my ‘to do’ list. Some can, others can’t.
I don’t have a problem with going without food, I often wake not feeling hungry but my BG continues to rise until I eat which is very frustrating. Once I’ve eaten all subsequent readings remain stable and progressively reduce throughout the day. If I could wake to a number in the low 5’s I might be more willing to skip meals until later in the day but my body or blood doesn’t seem to want to play that game

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello. I didn't realise sciatica was so painful!! I've been in a great deal of pain for nearly 3 weeks now and everything has gone to pot! BS this morning 7.0 :bag:
I'm seeing a physiotherapist tomorrow so hoping for some relief.

eddie07

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello. I didn't realise sciatica was so painful!! I've been in a great deal of pain for nearly 3 weeks now and everything has gone to pot! BS this morning 7.0 :bag:
I'm seeing a physiotherapist tomorrow so hoping for some relief.
Hope you get better soon

Reactions: JanetMcDowell

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.4 this morning despite another low carb day yesterday, however unlike you @DJC3 i will have breakfast as without eating my numbers continue to climb, fasting doesn’t appear to work for me :banghead:
I feel your frustration @ianpspurs i sometimes long for the ignorant bliss before the meter came to live at my house, to test or not to test, damned if we do and damned if we don’t :arghh:

My bgs climb throughout the morning too if I don’t eat so I’m always in a quandry. I decided today that it’s possibly like exercise and an initial short term rise is still beneficial in the long term.
I found a definite improvement in average bgs when doing the week of 30hr fasts recently but I also lost 2.5 kg which isn’t sustainable for me in the longer term.
It’s such a delicate balance isn’t it? What works one week doesnt seem to work another time.

(Also, in the spirit of full disclosure - we were having a very early lunch today so not long to wait!)

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My bgs climb throughout the morning too if I don’t eat so I’m always in a quandry. I decided today that it’s possibly like exercise and an initial short term rise is still beneficial in the long term.
I found a definite improvement in average bgs when doing the week of 30hr fasts recently but I also lost 2.5 kg which isn’t sustainable for me in the longer term.
It’s such a delicate balance isn’t it? What works one week doesnt seem to work another time.

(Also, in the spirit of full disclosure - we were having a very early lunch today so not long to wait!)
You are so right, sometimes the balancing act is a daily battle, I beginning to understand that so many factors come into play, it’s not just what we eat or don’t eat, it’s things like have we moved enough or too much, have we had enough fluids, then add into the mix emotions, feeling anxious or stressed or totally relaxed and calm! I mentioned earlier on a different post about the ignorant bliss before having a meter, I’m quite sure that there were days when BG would have been raised but because we weren’t testing we weren’t worried, now it’s almost a reward or punish situation, good number, well done eat, bad number, oh dear don’t eat lol
I have decided that if I am going to be controlled by this condition for the rest of my life I need to do everything in moderation. The strict and disciplined approach doesn’t have to be the be all and end all, I know the mechanics, I know what to do and more importantly what not to do but it needs balance, I need to be kind and sensible to myself but balance this so that I can enjoy situations and the company I’m with otherwise I fear I may burn out.
When I think about what I’ve achieved in the year since diagnoses I’m truely amazed, I’m honest enough to admit that without it I wouldn’t have lost the weight I have or improved my fitness and for that I’m eternally thankful but to do this for the rest of my life I need to make it sustainable for me and my family.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are so right, sometimes the balancing act is a daily battle, I beginning to understand that so many factors come into play, it’s not just what we eat or don’t eat, it’s things like have we moved enough or too much, have we had enough fluids, then add into the mix emotions, feeling anxious or stressed or totally relaxed and calm! I mentioned earlier on a different post about the ignorant bliss before having a meter, I’m quite sure that there were days when BG would have been raised but because we weren’t testing we weren’t worried, now it’s almost a reward or punish situation, good number, well done eat, bad number, oh dear don’t eat lol
I have decided that if I am going to be controlled by this condition for the rest of my life I need to do everything in moderation. The strict and disciplined approach doesn’t have to be the be all and end all, I know the mechanics, I know what to do and more importantly what not to do but it needs balance, I need to be kind and sensible to myself but balance this so that I can enjoy situations and the company I’m with otherwise I fear I may burn out.
When I think about what I’ve achieved in the year since diagnoses I’m truely amazed, I’m honest enough to admit that without it I wouldn’t have lost the weight I have or improved my fitness and for that I’m eternally thankful but to do this for the rest of my life I need to make it sustainable for me and my family.

Completely agree - it has to be balanced with normal daily life or we’d go loopy.
I’m grateful too, I doubt I’d have improved my fitness or eating habits without the diagnosis.
Go us!

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Completely agree - it has to be balanced with normal daily life or we’d go loopy.
I’m grateful too, I doubt I’d have improved my fitness or eating habits without the diagnosis.
Go us!
Go us indeed, no intention of going loopy, well if I can help it, other things may determine that but I won’t do it to myself by trying to figure out this condition :)

Reactions: ianpspurs and DJC3