1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Unbelievable

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Bildad, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Bildad

Bildad Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I went for my annual disbetes review yesterday with the practice nurse. Last year my hbA1c was 75 this year it is 36. I have lost 3.5 stone and all of my blood work is spot on. I am off my meds (Dapaglaflozin)
    I was expecting a pat on the back, my annual tests and a Christmas greeting. What I got was a severe telling off and a warning that my health was at risk because my hbA1c was far too low for a diabetic. I was likely to have a heart attack. I was told to eat "normally" to increase my sugars to anything between 10 and 12 post meal and to get my hbA1c re done in 3 months. I didn't get my feet checked or any of the other checks done.
    I know that the NHS is behind Australia and the US in recognising Low Carb but I was stunned by her reaction and advice. No wonder that diabetes is bancrupting the NHS with that sort of advice being handed out.
    Needless to say I will not be following her suggestions.

• Winner Winner x 20
    • Hug Hug x 9
  2. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Pretty shocked here... Oh my!

Well, here's a pat on the back and a Happy Holidays from me then! (You're due 'em!)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Wow.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Well since an HbA1c of 36 is in the 'normal' range then I guess all non diabetics must be at risk too!

Your nurse is obviously getting muddled and doesn't understand the difference between diabetics who are insulin dependent and those who aren't. Pretty basic stuff really...and the feet check and other tests are something they should be providing annually regardless of your HbA1c.

Well done on your HbA1c and also for having the common sense to know that her advice is not only wrong but harmful.

Here's another pat on the back from me :)

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Wow, @Bildad think I’d be putting in a complaint about that.

A pat on the back is definitely more appropriate - great work!

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Krystyna23040

Krystyna23040 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I agree with @zand that your diabetes nurse does not understand the difference between diabetics who inject insulin and those who do not. When I was on insulin 36 would have been risky. But now without insulin 36 is ideal.

I also agree with @Goonergal that you need to put in a complaint about the advice you were given. You knew that her advice was wrong and harmful but someone else might believe her and follow her advice. Quite scary when you think of all the complications they could end up with.

@Rachox info sheet is just what the nurse needs to read. As soon as possible before she causes more harm to her patients.

Last but not least - well done for your brilliant Hba1c.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I had to check to see whether it was April 1st. I cannot believe that any health care professional would tell you to increase your post food levels to above 10! I would ask to speak to whoever is in charge of your surgery about this 'advice' because it is dangerous. x

• Agree Agree x 7
  9. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

Wow amazing results well done you.. as you are probably better educated about T2 then the nurse you saw maybe felt a bit threatened. Not of course that is any kind of excuse for the tosh she spouted.

Depending on your temperament I'd be asking for a visit to the chief partner of the Practice to make a formal complaint. The advice from the nurse is tantamount to malpractice.

• Agree Agree x 11
    #9 bulkbiker, Dec 20, 2019 at 9:12 AM
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  10. sno0opy

sno0opy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It must be that particular person, or a group of people who have been given the wrong training? When i dropped to 33 i got nothing but praise from GP, DN and dietitian.

Sucks, but do take the approach of just carry on as your doing and ignore it.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

Fantastic results, well done.

If I say what I think of that appalling advice, (hard to call it advice really, it was absolute garbage) then my post would be moderated.

Agree with the others, a complaint I would be lodging. Fear mungering and bullying should not be tolerated.

Keep up the great work!

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Blimey, what dreadful advice. It is the worst I have read on these forums. I agree with everyone else. She is mixing up insulin users and non-insulin users. You are savvy enough to know it is bad advice. Others may not be, and that is where the danger lies. She really does need reporting before she causes harm. Have another pat on the back from me, and enjoy your Christmas.

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. Redshank

Redshank Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Well done on your results.
    I would agree that a formal complaint would be a good idea

• Like Like x 1
  14. TriciaWs

TriciaWs Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I don't get much support from my GP's diabetic team, who don't know a lot about low carb and insist on calling it low carb/high fat - but they were happy when my HbA1c dropped to 36 then 33.
    And I still get the foot checks.
    They said they want to see at least 2 years below 42 before they will reduce checks.

But one of the other GPs insisted my diet had suddenly driven my LDL up when it had been fine 3 mths before (at which point I'd been low carb for over 15 mths).

15. ianf0ster

ianf0ster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Congrats on your numbers.
    Wow, your DN makes mine seem like a superstar - LOL!
    What terrible advice. I too would make a complaint to the practice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

That's exactly right. Anyone actually listening to her is at risk of some down right dangerous advice. Unbelievable is right!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

As a moderator, I have done everyone the courtesy of pre-moderating myself.

******* awesome result! Well done!!!

Absurdly ******** misinformed ****** badly trained ************* advice.

please lodge a complaint. That nurse needs retraining.

Merry Xmas.

• Winner Winner x 9
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. lindisfel

lindisfel · Well-Known Member

I have found bullies often are the most ignorant.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

My hba1c has been in the mid 30s for approx 7 years and I still have 6 monthly reviews inc foot checks etc.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

And I thought that my gp practice was bad - yours gets the prize for the worst advice possible, and done in a nasty disrespectful manner - I can only add my encouragement to report that interview to the practice manager to raise awareness of the way diabetics are being badly advised, badly treated and that it could result in deteriorating health and increasing need for treatment for patients in the practice.
    Personally I'd have stopped the nurse as soon as the situation became clear and ask to speak to the manager right then and there, in her presence - inviting justification for such dreadful advice - I'd have also brought out my tiny voice recorder and explained what it was, and played back what was said to me - my memory is much better these days, but when there is technology available as backup it helps a lot.

• Agree Agree x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook