View on low carbing.(part two)

wallycorker

sugarless sue said:
......... Unfortunately even though we do everything right some of us with develop complications despite our best efforts.........
Certainly, I want to keep out of that club!!!!!

Doczoc

In reality though there are two options, carb control or medication. Whichever you choose is up to you of course!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Unfortunately, Doc, some diabetics who are further along in their diabetes cannot control it by diet/carb control alone. I am one of the lucky ones, I can control it by just diet, many are not so fortunate.

Doczoc

sugarless sue said:
Unfortunately, Doc, some diabetics who are further along in their diabetes cannot control it by diet/carb control alone. I am one of the lucky ones, I can control it by just diet, many are not so fortunate.

I agree Sue, but even when you embark on meds your still have a choice, less carbs or more meds. Now I'm really not taking the moral high ground, many people for whatever reason decide that meds is the best route for them, it's no right of mine to make a judgment on that. But sometimes posters give the impression that you can have it all! That simply isn't the case.

wallycorker

Doczoc said:
In reality though there are two options, carb control or medication. Whichever you choose is up to you of course!
That's the way I see things too Doc! I find it hard to see that there is any other way than that.

I read through all the Success Stories and to me everything seemed to boil down to just that.

However, I'm relatively new to all this so always willing to learn more about it all.

John

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi again Doc. You do get around ? :D

But sometimes posters give the impression that you can have it all! That simply isn't the case.

Very well said Doc. I find that too. People telling folk that they can have all the fats they want without actually checking to see if there might be a reason why they shouldn't eat all those fats. Medical reasons.
There are a lot of us on here who have to avoid fats - I find it annoying that nobody thinks to ask before offering the advice, which for them is obviously the 'norm.' Not for everybody though.

Then there are those who say it's OK to eat what you like - I can cover it with my Imsulin. I get annoyed with them too. No thought that they could be saving themselves a lifetime of weight issues if they just cut down on the carbs a bit. Cut down the Insulin.

There are other things as well......I think you get my drift...... :wink:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I'm a low carber, always probably will be. I can't eat fat either, medical reasons as well. I find no difficulty finding enough to eat without excessive fat intake.

I am not, however, blinkered to seeing others on here who successfully control their diabetes without low carbing. Good for them. I would never advise people to eat as I eat, it works for me, it is tailored for me.
I can give them advise, sure, but it is up to each one to work out their own diet whatever that turns out to be.
As for taking meds and expecting them to do all the work......don't get me started ! :D

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
I get annoyed with them too. No thought that they could be saving themselves a lifetime of weight issues if they just cut down on the carbs a bit

Mostly, i do that. I don't eat excessive amounts of anythings, and i don't eat excessive amounts of carbs.
But i find it highly offensive that you presume i must be, or should be getting, fat.
I'm 5' tall, and weight 53Kgs.

Hardly obese.

I used to weight much more than that, and now take good care of myself.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
CP.
I used to weight much more than that, and now take good care of myself.

Good for you.... :? I have never said anything about you getting fat ? Why have you read something in a comment that is NOT there ? There is a simple metabolic principle that I am talking about here. Carbs = glucose = Insulin = fat. If you are able to control that sequence, break that chain as you obviously have then you have good control. That is great. You have cracked it. You were able to get the information to allow you to do something about it. Some have the information and choose to do nothing about it. That's what I get annoyed about, lack of drive, motivation. Not everybody is like that of course. However if the comment just makes one person think, that could be me and they do what you Celtic Piskie have done.....then that is fine with me. A result.

Some people cant/don't for whatever reasons. I find it strange that you should single out one point I made, out of many, to another member and take personal offence at it ? I could take great personal offence at many things posted here if I was of a mind to. I am not that precious, I think positively. Still if you were offended, my apologies. :(

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Doczoc said:

You really know how to wind people up dont you? Your above statement as well as being medically incorrect is just laughable. I am on insulin and sinse diagnosis I have lost over 4 stone in weight, not because of the insulin but despite it. I have no choice in the matter of whether I take insulin or not so its not up to me at all.

Doczoc said:
But sometimes posters give the impression that you can have it all!

Who has posted that they can have it all and when did they post it, I can't seem to recall such a post? Or is this just another dig at those unlucky enough to have to take medication?

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Because it really is a one or the other split? My MIL Is a well controlled diabetic, low-carbing. Still on insulin.
Sometimes, there aren't options. You want to try eating with less than 30g of carbs a day? She's still on insulin.

Culigula : I take offense because it's not as simple as carbs = fat people. I eat a lot of carbs compared to some people, and i'm not. I know low-carbers who are fat.
You presume that you will get fat if you eat carbs, which you won't. You presume that lower insulin is always better, for long term health it isn't.
But meh :) I'm not really offended, i just don't agree.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
sugarless sue said:
(Congratulations, Cugila..................5000)

Wooo Hooo
clap.gif

5000.PNG

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Culigula : I take offense because it's not as simple as carbs = fat people. I eat a lot of carbs compared to some people, and i'm not. I know low-carbers who are fat.
You presume that you will get fat if you eat carbs, which you won't. You presume that lower insulin is always better, for long term health it isn't.

CP.

If you care to read my previous post, nowhere have I said carbs = fat people. What I stated was that carbs=glucose=Insulin=fat. A biological fact, well documented.

I have also never stated that you will get fat if you eat carbs, you may do if you eat too many ? That is totally different. That is also a biological fact, well documented.

As for lower Insulin being better for long term health, well I think it is. Just an opinion. Surely lower medication of any sort and good control HAS to be better for your health, long term or not ?

I have to say I don't agree either. Especially as it is not what was said by me or meant - you actually presumed too much. :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Cheers Sid and Sue. :oops: x 5000. :shock:

Sid. Fancy a pint. :D

Sue......put the kettle on, we'll be back later. :twisted:

Ken.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I just read through this thread and picked up on a couple of things.
1. Mendel lived from the 1820s to the 1880s. there is at least one photograph of him[ a real one, not a photo of the famous portrait.] I've seen it at the Brno Monastery.That's not 300 years ago.
2. We can't digest unprocessed grains.
you can try a little experiment: Saliva contains amylase, which breaks down Cooked starch to maltose.
keep a bit of water biscuit in your mouth, tucked inside your cheek. After a few hours, you will taste the sweet maltose. Try again with unprocessed grains and the change won't happen.
the amylase in the small intestine isn't very different from that in the mouth.So digestion of uncooked starch doesn't take place there either.
I have tried to find out, when in history humans started to eat grains and at what point, they found out you have to cook them. If anyone knows, please show me the references.
I suspect, that it all started with sprouting grains, which are more digestible.
I also tried to find what micronutrients I should be deficient in. I've low carbed for 3 years. I can't find the evidence for this either. It's pretty much impossible to be vitamin deficient whilst eating meat. Meat contains more vitamins than anything. This includes citrus fruits. the reason that sailorss developed scurvey was not just that they had no fruit and vegetables, but that they ate mainly starchy "ships biscuits" with very little good meat.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
hanadr said:
It's pretty much impossible to be vitamin deficient whilst eating meat. Meat contains more vitamins than anything. This includes citrus fruits. the reason that sailorss developed scurvey was not just that they had no fruit and vegetables, but that they ate mainly starchy "ships biscuits" with very little good meat.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Hana.
I thought that when you cooked meat it loses a lot of it's vitamins and nutrients, that's why we supplement it with lots of veggies and some fruit ? Is that not the case ?

I don't fancy eating raw/nearly raw meat as part of my diet. :?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi ken
you haven't been watching "Masterchef-The Profesionals" with Michel Roux Jr telling everyone to cook their meat "pink"
Not all vitamins are destroyed by heat and if you eat meat with its natural juices,[and not with some kind of "jus" or "reduction" you'll get them there.

Eating raw probably is best, but I don't fancy raw meat either. I come from middle Europe, where meat is eaten "Done"!

Soundgen

Whew ! what a read i think I could start a book ! Interesting post on how you can catch diabetes was on http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11028 The same New scientist article also showed the possiblity that some viruses can also make you fat , so overweight diabetics probably have had both viral infections ! It shows how some people could get fat and not beovereating , the virus ramps up the way the body stores fat in the first place .