What are my options to avoid t2 diabetes?

After having gestational diabetes I discovered that I was still getting high post prandial readings. I did an ogtt and got an HbA1c of 32, but my c-peptide was a little high indicating that I may be a little insulin resistant. I decided to cut out sugar completely and only eat low GI carbs or smaller amounts of higher GI carbs (have cut out all bread except for lower carb, high fiber hard bread). Today, one year later, my HbA1c is now at 38!!!! I'm 5'6" and 60kg and don't want to lose weight. I am an active person and am on my feet a lot but find it hard to find the time to do proper exercise. What are my options? Keto? I don't understand how my readings have gotten worse

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I decided to cut out sugar completely and only eat low GI carbs or smaller amounts of higher GI carbs (have cut out all bread except for lower carb, high fiber hard bread).

Many of the T2s on here find that their levels are affected by carbs, and whether they are low gi or not doesn't make much difference. So maybe carb count a typical day's food and see how many carbs you are actually eating and whether you can prune them a bit? The description you give of your diet could potentially still contain a lot of carbs.

Some other possible options
1) Don't worry, your levels are still in normal range (albeit high end of normal). You aren't even prediabetic at the moment.
2) Get a meter and find out what your bgs are actually doing. In particular, are certain foods spiking your levels? (Test just before and 2 hours after a meal and the rise should be less than 2mmol/L) This might be overkill, though, given that your levels aren't up to prediabetic.

Good luck.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe evaluate the total carbohydrate you are still eating - I'm afraid that GI of a food makes little difference if it is basically high carb and you digest it fairly easily.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
In your shoes with the information I have gathered I would eat to Ted Naimens P.E. Diet protocol. Frankly I believe this is a fool proof method of ensuring the diet side is spot on. No snacks, have these with your meals. I would not go back to any of the atandard ways of eating, apart from Keto versions that are 'real' Keto.

I would get really good at powerbuilding so that I have strength and muscles (like a sprinter / gymnast build). Strength is associated with longevity and muscles independently soak up glucose (my fbg this morning 4.1).

I would ensure I reduce stress, and sleep at least 7 hours, as without this all of the other work is not optimised.

Thank you all for your replies . Have just purchased a CGM to see where I'm going wrong with the food. I definitely need to push myself to do strengthening exercises