• What cereal is ok

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I hadnt come across tha Aldi paleo muesli mentioned earlier in the thread but was intrigued so bought some of the nutty variety and with more than a little trepidation, experimented by eating 45g portion with some unsweetened cashew nut milk
1hour 45 mins after eating it, my blood sugar has gone up by 0.5 mmol - Result!!!!!
Every other cereal Ive tried in recent years sends my sugars ballistic
Its more like granola than muesli but very acceptable

Yipeeeee! I'm glad it worked for you too. Yeah I prefer granola also, am going to try some this week but may have to to resort back to the museli. It can get boring but sometimes I swap
Milk for Greek yoghurt and alternate berries between blueberries, raspberries and strawberries.

Reactions: TIANDB

Cal M

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Andelloubjr33 ,
I generally have full fat yoghurt with berries most days, then eggs, bacon, grilled tomatoes, baked beans or some combination at weekends. If I am feeling in need of cereal I cook quinoa wth chai as it's seed not grain but it's a 30 minute cook, still eat with yoghurt and berries.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hadnt come across tha Aldi paleo muesli mentioned earlier in the thread but was intrigued so bought some of the nutty variety and with more than a little trepidation, experimented by eating 45g portion with some unsweetened cashew nut milk
1hour 45 mins after eating it, my blood sugar has gone up by 0.5 mmol - Result!!!!!
Every other cereal Ive tried in recent years sends my sugars ballistic
Its more like granola than muesli but very acceptable
How nutty is it? (I'm a bit weird with nuts. Can eat them fresh but they make me feel sick if something has been 'done' to them and I loath cashews in any form)

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For cereal-based foods in the breakfast sometimes I take some ryebread like the Ikea one on the Lidl/Billa/Penny market (Roggenvollkorn-Knäckebrot) or I use old slices of wholegrain bread.
Less than 50g and in the day I eat less bread, of course.

B

badcat

How nutty is it? (I'm a bit weird with nuts. Can eat them fresh but they make me feel sick if something has been 'done' to them and I loath cashews in any form)
Pretty nutty - mainly a mix of cashew and walnuts with seeds and coconut. 13% cashews. Dont know about the fruity version

B

badcat

IMG_0290.JPG
IMG_0290.JPG On an Aldi trip to get a few boxes of the muesli I came across these little beauties at 6g carbs apiece and some peanut butter ones at 8g carbs apiece Ive tried the sea salt one - minimal impact on blood sugars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Freema

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I have porridge every morning come rain or shine.
Well almost every morning.
For the first week they caused me a few problems but I stuck with it and now fine.
Yes they spike my blood sugars slightly but around the two hour mark my levels are fine.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pretty nutty - mainly a mix of cashew and walnuts with seeds and coconut. 13% cashews. Dont know about the fruity version
13% cashew is enough to put me off. Don't know what it is about them but They just make me ill.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Eggs can be boiled in a batch and popped in the fridge till you fancy one.
They are super healthy and help fill you up.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been properly testing for the last 4 days as my diebeties was out of control I suffer with depression and on bad days eat what I shouldn't and it's had an effect so big wake up call so now trying to lose weight and eat healthy to get my diebeties back under control just finding it hard to know what I can and can't have
High Protein Rolls from Lidl are filling, but do not push the glucose levels up much. Many here find half roll is sufficient to fill that gap in the morning. It can be frozen, and toasted, and I use them as a substitute for rice or pasta too. Pork scratchings are a low carb snack that helps take the pangs away a bit too. Personally I can tolerate some small amounts of carbs that others find difficult, and so I can have 1 slice of toasted multiseeded bread (Hovis or Aldi) with butter without causing any grief, and it provides some much needed fibre too. test it with your meter to see how you are.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cashews are high carb, as they are not a true nut. If you can substitute something similar but lower carb you might feel better for it.

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have full fat Greek yoghurt. Berries, crispy oat hearts and a drizzle of honey most days and at the weekends poached egg, bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms etc. I also found lurking in Sainsbury's something called Hi-Lo bread - high protein, low carb. I have always been VERY MUCH someone who hated anything wholegrain, wholemeal, whole-anything, anything seedy, no thanks. I was a terribly fussy eater as a child and all my life I have remained the same,

Then I was diagnosed with diabetes, in the year I lost my T2 mother, who joined my diabetes-on-insulin father, so I decided to grow the **** up and stop being all "but I don't LIKE it".... it is so hard learning to love the different taste to this loaf of bread, but when combined with (as suggested above) a poached or scrambled egg it is fine. One thing I also do for a bit of variety is a couple of slices with Whole Earth peanut butter.

For what it is worth I have the same issue with exercise... my cousin's husband swears by walking every day (retired and has time on his hands) and I prefer to do more rigorous cardio combined with rehab for knackered knees. Again I just had to stop being so bloody awkward with myself and actually exercise in some way to make an important change on my life. But absolutely (for both cereal and exercise) experiment until you find something you really like as this is a major lifestyle change you are undertaking. Hope you find something that works for you!

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For breakfast I would recommend ...

- mushroom omelette
- avocado with smoked salmon
- sliced roast chicken breast or turkey
- salami, pastrami, ham
- LivLife bread + cheese sandwich
- a bowl of raspberries with single cream
- a bowl of chia seeds with yogurt and raspberries
- fried mushrooms with bacon and spinach

Reactions: CranberryIce

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For breakfast I would recommend ...

- mushroom omelette
- avocado with smoked salmon
- sliced roast chicken breast or turkey
- salami, pastrami, ham
- LivLife bread + cheese sandwich
- a bowl of raspberries with single cream
- a bowl of chia seeds with yogurt and raspberries
- fried mushrooms with bacon and spinach

Thank you!

Love eggs but I am almost certain they cause my bg to rise if they are eaten alone. Maybe they do with other foods to but just not noticed it.

Like the sound of raspberries and single cream

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
I was told Weetabix was a healthy option too... grr.
Strange that porridge sends you high because it's my daily breakfast! I make it with coconut milk, then I lace it with ground ginger, cinnamon, three teaspoons of mixed flax seeds and chia seeds, a handful of pumpkin seeds, 7 or 8 raspberries and then double cream YUMMY. It doesn't affect me. Before eating my reading was 6.3 and after it was 7.1 this morning .... which is around average after breakfast each day

Reactions: CranberryIce