What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sending a hug - The lack of sleep and worry about your daughter being ill is bound to have had a big effect. I can’t believe you managed not to comfort eat all day. Being tired always makes me cold and hungry.
I’m sure tomorrow will be a whole lot better for you, provided you sleep well and your little girl is better. Fingers crossed.
Or you're coming down with whatever she had? (And just don't know it yet)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Highlights today; putting away all nice socks, Dilmah tea came, batteries in meter low.
Breakfast: - Tea : - Heating and hot water problems then long chat with eccentric uncle by which time breakfast window had misted over
Dockey : Tea - could become a habit if I am not careful; dog walk
Lunch : Filter coffee with cream; Cold roast turkey; tea; Man he fixxy hot water and heating, MIL taken to get toenails cut - all the fun of the fair; had my glandnuts tweaked and didn’t feel a thing
Mid Afternoon: Tea
Evening meal: IP Ox cheek doo-dah (no Bonzo dog or band) with some braised red cabbage with Christmas spices which had been maturing in fridge for 8 days; Bavarian smoked cheese and bleu D’Auvergne from free festive cheese board delivered with groceries. IP veg and bone stock then hit meat stew - simples;
@Emma_369 hug and personally, have tried fasting to avoid high numbers - it just leads to poblems
So you're not the urban spaceman?

And I'm now singing it!

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dr Rangan Chatterjee 4 Pillars to a healthy lifestyle: Diet; Exercise; Rest; Prayer/Meditation - personally last 1 is key and not the meditation.
Then I don’t have much hope - diet maybe. Exercise not as much as I’d like without more hours in a day. Rest - a full time working, business running, diploma studying, insomniac suffering, mom and wife definitely never gets that ;) as for the last one, I have my own probably crazy theories on what I believe and in fairness find some comfort in that. Hopefully my ability to laugh at myself and my chaotic ways will count towards some form of a healthy mind :angelic:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6 FBG 5.8. Countdown to Christmas is underway. Boys are already making noises about decorations. Better get started on the presents too. Tomorrow I finally get the first part payment of my State Pension the the first full payment in 4 weeks.

B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream then off to Aqua fit.
L. 2 Tesco GF pork chipolatos, 2 rashers crispy bacon, 2 mushrooms, 3 Santini tomatoes and a fried duck egg.
D. Remains of celeriac dauphinoise and an air fried chicken thigh and drumstick.

Discussion from the back seats of my car today involved the names of different planets. Was asked if I knew any more, rattled off a few and mentioned Pluto but explained scientists call it a dwarf planet.
Q from No 2 "Nana is that because it's full of dwarfs?"
First time I've laughed out loud in a while!

Reactions: ziggy_w

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know you’re right, all of you @ianpspurs @shelley262 @DJC3
Guess my first shock to the system that some days really are beyond my control - wish I could say yeah it’s the giant sandwich I ate as at least I’d know exactly why. No rhyme or reason doesn’t bode well for my overly analytical brain. As you say tomorrow is a new day and I think I’m going to make more effort, regardless of numbers or how hectic life is, to just eat more regularly. Perhaps I do need to give myself some energy to stop my body trying to do it for me :)

I find that the surest, quickest way to bring down a high morning reading (dawn phenomenon) is to eat a protein and fat breakfast. Or just fat. No carbs at all. Not even a cherry tomato. Works like a charm. My bg is usually down to my normal daytime levels within an hour or two, and stays solidly there as long as the protein/fat is gently drip feeding into my system.

It took a very long time (couple of years) before my dawn phenomenon subsided enough for me to not bother with breakfast, and any kind of stress like bad sleep or a morning appt will cause it to come back.
Nowadays I just have a coffeesubstitute and cream, every morning, which stops any rise. Then I don’t bother with breakfast at all unless I am eating with someone socially. :)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Then I don’t have much hope - diet maybe. Exercise not as much as I’d like without more hours in a day. Rest - a full time working, business running, diploma studying, insomniac suffering, mom and wife definitely never gets that ;) as for the last one, I have my own probably crazy theories on what I believe and in fairness find some comfort in that. Hopefully my ability to laugh at myself and my chaotic ways will count towards some form of a healthy mind :angelic:
Sounds to me as though you are exceptionally well adjusted and everything is about where we all were at that stage of life. You'll be just fine.:)

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A totally frustrating day. Awoke to a 6 so tested again about 10.30am as was getting peckish and thought would have my usual protein bar, only to be greeted with a 7.5. So forgot about the idea of eating as didn’t want to push it higher. Lunch time came so I tested again before I ate and it was 8.9 - these are the highest readings I’ve had since the first couple days after diagnosis. So skipped the lunch as couldn’t cope with the idea of any food making it spike more. Currently sitting at 6.2 but absolutely starving as wasn’t prepared for a fasting day and think the severe lack of sleep last night has left me needing something.
So chicken wrapped in streaky bacon with some courgettes and mushrooms is roasting in the oven and heaven only knows what it will or won’t do to my BG but today is a write off and that’s putting it politely :banghead::banghead:
There seems to be no rhyme or reason to what causes these out of the blue highs, try not to worry and hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. Could it be that you have a little bit of whatever was ailing your little girl?

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know you’re right, all of you @ianpspurs @shelley262 @DJC3
Guess my first shock to the system that some days really are beyond my control - wish I could say yeah it’s the giant sandwich I ate as at least I’d know exactly why. No rhyme or reason doesn’t bode well for my overly analytical brain. As you say tomorrow is a new day and I think I’m going to make more effort, regardless of numbers or how hectic life is, to just eat more regularly. Perhaps I do need to give myself some energy to stop my body trying to do it for me :)
I find that skipping meals does nothing to help my numbers so I try to keep to regular meals when I can.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening everyone
Very chilly day here today.
Coffee with cream when I woke
B yogurt with some strawberries and a sprinkle of breakfast boost seeds
L couple of slices of roast gammon, tomato and feta cheese
Small pack of pork scratchings
D roast chicken breast with sprouts cooked with bacon and cream, raspberry clafoutis with yogurt

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just made some new fat bombs, strawberry cheesecake variety

Attachments

• CBE5429C-B329-407C-B0B1-5A14A8C31BE3.jpeg
    CBE5429C-B329-407C-B0B1-5A14A8C31BE3.jpeg
    466.9 KB · Views: 265

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Hugs, @Emma_369 -- Might also be a bug your body is fighting. Sometimes though we'll never know what puts our blood sugars up.

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Two scrambled eggs with cheddar and okra. A bowl of mussels soup.

Dinner: A small piece of beef tenderloin with sauce Bearnaise. Lamb's lettuce with a homemade mustard-lime-orange oil dressing and feta cheese. A tiny sliver of homemade low-carb carrot cake. A glass of red wine.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There seems to be no rhyme or reason to what causes these out of the blue highs, try not to worry and hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. Could it be that you have a little bit of whatever was ailing your little girl?
Very possibly. Not feeling ill but then it may be brewing

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Bit late posting as felt the need for a trip to the gym - trying to get back into routine after the past week or so of craziness. Home via Waitrose- it’s official, I can’t go in without buying at least one portion of beef short rib. On offer at 25% off, would be rude not to.

Lunch was smoked salmon and cream cheese - a whole pot of the M&S whipped deliciousness. Was very hungry so followed up with 30g 85% chocolate and a bag of pork crunch. Adjusted dinner accordingly and had a Diet Doctor breakfast sandwich.

@Emma_369 hugs. BG seems to have a mind of its own at times. Sounds like you have a good approach though.

@DJC3 glad you’ve found a good Pilates class. I love mine - the instructor is doing some Black Friday offers which will include unlimited classes for 3 months. First come first served so a definite advantage to being an early riser!

@shelley262 hope you enjoy your day with Cooper. He sounds adorable.

@Brunneria hope your guts don’t take too long to stop whinging.

@maglil55 live the idea of a planet of dwarves!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just made some new fat bombs, strawberry cheesecake variety

Are those sweet sized moulds, or cupcake sized?

Our local Lidl had sweet and little bundt cake moulds today, and I thought back to those chocolate cups yesterday.....

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: chorizo and Gouda rollitos with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: raspberry chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: carbonara made with Explore Cuisine edamame spaghetti, bacon, mushrooms, egg and cream followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.