What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Cool article @shelley262 ! I notice the guy went on a “diet”....
Yahooooo @Rachox ! but boo more crutches etc
@Tipetoo we only just got King Cake! Hot cross buns are very ephemeral, and you have to be in the store before they’re all gone. I think they’re nasty bc I’ve never liked candied citron. For us, the Valentine candy/plush/cards went up almost before the old year was out... and all the green accessories have been up for a week or so But Easter baskets and candy showed up as of this week. We know how to eat candy, we do.
Thanks for recipe @BibaBee . I think I emailed myself the link last time I saw it here but now I have CMT!!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Easter eggs were on sale since the new year as well, soon as easter is gone, xmas stuff will be on sale.

Oy! We’ll get pool things next, then back to school in July, then Halloween in August, then Christmas on Nov 1, also Thanksgiving before that. Marketing....

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bfast I’d run out of pre-boiled eggs so had some frig cruising. Hemp seed hearts and pesto is really good but not really bfast food! Major discovery/ lightbulb moment: these raw hemp hearts are a dead ringer for pasta nuttiness and chewiness (fairly al dente). They will also allow me to make a summer staple, quinoa salad with many goodies in it. Yay!
Lunch 3 cans Dr Pepper seltzer
Supper spinach with dressing, celery, and leftover chili with flax meal added while heating. Need fiber since not having any for lunch... and a swig of buttermilk, which suddenly tastes really good!
Sleep well all, see you sometime tomorrow I hope. Lots of running around and money earning

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thought today would not go well when it started with me tipping the scales at 11St .11 for a BMI of 22.4 but despite that it was ok. Besides tea and cocoa had 2 meals. Lunch was 3 hard boiled eggs, tin of mackerel in olive oil, ACV and a chicken thigh. Later had 1 small Taste the difference 85% chocolate bar. Dinner was 2 homemade beef and pork burgers, salad and mayo. I did eat a small piece of a hot cross bun I was buttering for Julie - it was very nice. The penalty save at the end of the football helped make the day better @Goonergal - Man U and Chelsea must have enjoyed that result most.

Ian, what's the tragedy with 11st 11lbs. Are you trying to keep the weight up or down? In most circles a BMI of c22 is just about the sweet spot.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bfast I’d run out of pre-boiled eggs so had some frig cruising. Hemp seed hearts and pesto is really good but not really bfast food! Major discovery/ lightbulb moment: these raw hemp hearts are a dead ringer for pasta nuttiness and chewiness (fairly al dente). They will also allow me to make a summer staple, quinoa salad with many goodies in it. Yay!
Lunch 3 cans Dr Pepper seltzer
Supper spinach with dressing, celery, and leftover chili with flax meal added while heating. Need fiber since not having any for lunch... and a swig of buttermilk, which suddenly tastes really good!
Sleep well all, see you sometime tomorrow I hope. Lots of running around and money earning

I’ve been using hemp seed hearts recently too, and like you, enjoy their nutyy chewiness. I’ve been sprinkling them fairly liberally on salads, but think I will add some to the next batch of @shelley262 ‘s seedy crackers I make.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ian, what's the trgedy with 11st 11lbs. Are you trying to keep the weight up or down? In most circles a BMI of c22 is just about the sweet spot.
BMI of around 22 is absolutely my benchmark - basically my weight for sports purposes back in the day ( except marathon training which needed a stone lighter) The 22.4 line usually indicates not enough fibre/too much naproxen and/or eating too late so adjustment needed. My dietary Sat Nav is a little out at 11.11 and LC/fasting had gone too far at last summer's 11.6.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
BMI of around 22 is absolutely my benchmark - basically my weight for sports purposes back in the day ( except marathon training which needed a stone lighter) The 22.4 line usually indicates not enough fibre/too much naproxen and/or eating too late so adjustment needed. My dietary Sat Nav is a little out at 11.11 and LC/fasting had gone too far at last summer's 11.6.
Thanks for clarifying.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Got in late last night from an engagement party - oh dear, a danger zone of a buffet.

Breakfast; a glass of my tumeric and chaga tea, a mug of tea and a cafetiere of kofee.
Lunch; 2 slices of bacon, two eggs, 1 slice of LC bread.
Dinner; the buffet graze. 2 freshly pealed sausage rolls, a chunk of carefully skinned pork pie, two chicken goujons and a pile of mixed salad. Seasoning to hand and one of those small, difficult to open, packets of “individual” mayo.

Post note: Hooray! I have finally got round to Copy Me That and the CMT button.

Last edited:

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Okay, reporting back on the Chia & Almond loaf. (What have you eaten today?)

The crust was really nice and flavour was subtle but not eggy or coconuty (you only add a small amount of coconut flour). My loaf looked a bit more dense than the pictures on the recipe. In hindsight, after reading the comments, I may have overmixed a little. Nothing like yeasted bread of course, but not dissimilar to soda bread in texture. I sliced mine a little too thick and I found it's very filling. This meant toasting from frozen was problematic (still cold in the middle on the first attempt). Next time, I would probably slice into 14 or 16 slices, rather than the 12. I also wonder if a splash of apple cider vinegar might help with the rise. Anyway, definitely a keeper and something to play about with.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Good morning everyone, a grey, rainy day here today.

It's the first day of my fast so my menu for the next few days will (hopefully) look like this:

Breakfast: Black Coffee with caffeine
Elevenses: Black Coffee without caffeine
Lunch: Another decaff coffee
Mid Afternoon: Herbal or fruit tea
Dinner: More herbal or fruit tea
Mid evening: yet another herbal tea
Pre bed: Chamomile tea
More herbal or fruit tea if/when I get the munchies.

At least two litres of still mineral water spread out over the day/evening.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Greetings CMT recipe circle. Having saved the low carb lemon curd recipe it reminded me of a Nigella Lawson dessert which I made a while ago at Christmas which I've always considered very adaptable. So adapt it I have and added it to the recipes. It requires the sugar free lemon curd and very low carb meringue nests (I've added a recipe for them too).
The rest is in the low carb lemon Pavlova recipe which I've adapted from NL's recipe. It is an assemble last minute job but you get everything ready in advance. Dont assemble until you are ready - I tried that once!

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Greetings CMT recipe circle. Having saved the low carb lemon curd recipe it reminded me of a Nigella Lawson dessert which I made a while ago at Christmas which I've always considered very adaptable. So adapt it I have and added it to the recipes. It requires the sugar free lemon curd and very low carb meringue nests (I've added a recipe for them too).
The rest is in the low carb lemon Pavlova recipe which I've adapted from NL's recipe. It is an assemble last minute job but you get everything ready in advance. Dont assemble until you are ready - I tried that once!

Sounds delicious! I have a similar recipe for a meringue roulade with lemon and raspberries somewhere. I wonder if a LC meringue roulade would work? Has anyone tried it? We just had some of the lemon curd with Greek yoghurt.....it was gorgeous!

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone, a grey, rainy day here today.

It's the first day of my fast so my menu for the next few days will (hopefully) look like this:

Breakfast: Black Coffee with caffeine
Elevenses: Black Coffee without caffeine
Lunch: Another decaff coffee
Mid Afternoon: Herbal or fruit tea
Dinner: More herbal or fruit tea
Mid evening: yet another herbal tea
Pre bed: Chamomile tea
More herbal or fruit tea if/when I get the munchies.

At least two litres of still mineral water spread out over the day/evening.
Good luck with the fast,

Reactions: zauberflote

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds delicious! I have a similar recipe for a meringue roulade with lemon and raspberries somewhere. I wonder if a LC meringue roulade would work? Has anyone tried it? We just had some of the lemon curd with Greek yoghurt.....it was gorgeous!
Not sure it would roll. I was also thinking back to the sugar free dessert the venue made me at New Year. Same idea, a sugar free meringue nest but topped with a berry mix in a tart compote and whipped cream. Dark chocolate grated on top (which of course would add to the lemon version too).

Reactions: BibaBee

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

A planned OMAD day but not in the format intended. Decided to cook short rib in the slow cooker for the first time. Set for 7 hours on low before heading out to Ikea.

Arrived back about 4 hours or so later and it was ready - dropping off bone and smelling delicious. Dinner became lunch, with a portion of yesterday’s dessert added. Changed the recipe slightly - added more cocoa and cream. Definitely an improvement. @shelley262 will send details for recipe booklet.

@Chook good luck with the fast. Still intend joining in at some point.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. I’ve finished eating for today so here goes

Late breakfast: 2 boiled eggs with 1/3 of my last remaining Lidl roll, toasted with butter and marmite.

Mid afternoon: mixture of reduced bits I’d got from M&S earlier. Smoked salmon, avocado, 1/2 pot of my favourite Orkney crab and prawn cocktail, and a bit of salad followed by raspberries, extra thick cream and a couple of grated 100% choc buttons.
Fair amount of tea and coffee throughout but a very lazy day, my cold is still hanging on for grim death, hacking cough and I’ve got no energy. Best to just roll with it for a bit I reckon.

@Goonergal it’s v brave of you to visit Ikea at the weekend, did you buy anything?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Focus today was on putting away all the shopping the nice man delivered and sorting the washing into loads approved by Julie. Next job was doing the washing at the temperature she would use - I have never shrunk or discoloured anything but hey ho. Organised a chair for her to supervise and could now do it her way - mine is much less complicated. 3 loads done, tumble dried and put away - even Julie's.
Food was easy. Tea and cocoa until 13.00 hrs then 3 egg mayo and some cheese. 17.00 hrs roast turkey thigh ( 2 big thighs for £3 all good); roast sprouts, cherry tomatoes, fennel and a shallot; gravy. Functional day.